The enigma of Devin Bush...

kurgan

I am interested in getting the board's feelings on Devin Bush.  I get all of the hype after the combine with the testing, numbers and interviews.  I also love the intangibles of team captain, underclassman, team leader and Nagurski award.  I love the way he plays, and I can see tape where the national guys are putting him with us at #20 and making it a done deal.

But... I also see the lack of splash plays, the missed tackles, the size issue, the coverage issues and the overall lack of a true 3 down LB.  I know how I feel about Bush, but I wanted to gauge the room.

Mock drafts love putting him with us at #20, and the easy question would be if YOU would take him at #20.  The issue with that is gonna be, who else is there??  Before I go down that rabbit hole, I just wanted to frame an overall conversation about how we feel about Bush and how he would be in our system.

Could he play 3 downs??  Is he a nickel LB?? Can he cover TE/RB's??  Is he an upgrade on Fort, another Fort, or another guy altogether??

Not the ideal 1st pick. I'd put him in the 2nd Rd but I doubt he'd be there @ #52. A lot of players would have to be gone for me to be "happy" with that pick (i.e. Murphy/Baker/Greedy, Burns/Polite...). He showed nice improvement in 2018. Good lateral movement and COD ability. He is a 3 Down LB IMO. Not to be a fence sitter but I wouldn't be overly excited or disappointed. Again, based on the board.  

Honestly, J. Peppers had similar concerns and he was perceived as "position-less". Having a FA signed LB sounds intriguing but we need a veteran CB and pass rusher more than we do at ILB, in a theory when you draft, you draft a player to upgrade and/or improve your certain situations. 

So, let's look at what Bush has to offer; his tackling is really GOOD. He does read really well, way ahead than where Shazier and Timmons both would be as a prospect. Sure, he's not an ideal ILB we have for the front 7- that's why we have Vince Williams. Will any of those FA LBs truly solve our problems? Not really, and within affordability. 

The things I think I'd like to talk about is his lack of playmaking stats. While ideally, you WANT a linebacker that can PRODUCE turnovers, I saw two full games of Bush, both mediocre tapes BUT what I'd like to refer Bush as- the hockey assist. He seems to be the guy who is always around when a turnover is caused, so his talent isn't questionable, his size is. He'll struggle against bigger tight ends, but isn't that why we got Edmunds? 

Bottom line I got to look at our roster and ask if this player can compliment those players really well; Vince Williams? Check. Terrell Edmunds? Check. sideline to sideline? Check. Playing behind our front 3 ought to do him a lot of favors too. 

Jabrill Peppers, a 2 year starter, had as many TFL as Bush and Peppers played most of the time as a safety.  Watch game film of Bush and tell me he has a nose for the ball.

Your hockey assist is what I call a pile jumper

35 minutes ago, Gibster16226 said:

CJ mosley free agent from Baltimore than at pick 20 !!!    DeAndrea Baker cb Georgia !!!! 👍

I don’t want Mosley. He’s going to be expensive and he isn’t a MACK. We don’t need anymore Mosley types unless we cut Vince.

Now that some of the dust has settled and we have addressed CB for sure and WR for right now, the only glaring need at the time of this post is ILB.

I don't know about you guys, but I do not want to be painted into a corner of having to take Devin Bush at 20.  I am not sold on him as the solution here, and def not at 20.  I'd rather take the BPA among ILB, CB, WR, Edge and TE, but if we don't address ILB, we may be stuck with Bush.

Hell, you even might be able to talk me into taking Mack Wilson at 52 over Bush at 20.

Archived