Pro Day Results

goldfishwars

These are the forty times and respective draft position for every safety drafted in 2017 and 2018:

2017:
6. New York Jets - Jamal Adams - 4.45
15. Indianapolis Colts - Malik Hooker  - 4.43
25. Cleveland Browns - Jabrill Peppers  - 4.45
36. Arizona Cardinals - Budda Baker - 4.45
39. New York Jets - Marcus Maye  - 4.4
42. New Orleans Saints - Marcus Williams  - 4.56
50. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Justin Evans  - 4.57
56. Oakland Raiders - Obi Melifonwu  - 4.4
61. Green Bay Packers - Josh Jones  - 4.41
91. Los Angeles Rams - John Johnson  - 4.61
95. Seattle Seahawks - Delano Hill  - 4.47
111. Seattle Seahawks - Tedric Thompson  - 4.6
112. Chicago Bears - Eddie Jackson - 4.45
113. Los Angeles Chargers - Rayshawn Jenkins  - 4.51
123. Washington Redskins - Montae Nicholson  - 4.42
184. Philadelphia Eagles - Nathan Gerry  - 4.58
186. Baltimore Ravens - Chuck Clark  - 4.54
187. Seattle Seahawks - Mike Tyson  - 4.56
191. Dallas Cowboys - Xavier Woods  - 4.54
208. Arizona Cardinals - Rudy Ford  - 4.38
218. Kansas City Chiefs - Leon McQuay  - 4.48
221. Oakland Raiders - Shalom Luani  - 4.55
230. Washington Redskins - Josh Harvey-Clemons  - 4.68

2018:
11. Miami Dolphins - Minkah Fitzpatrick  - 4.47
17. Los Angeles Chargers - Derwin James - 4.47
28. Pittsburgh Steelers - Terrell Edmunds  - 4.47
54. Cincinnati Bengals - Jessie Bates  - 4.5
68. Houston Texans - Justin Reid  - 4.4
82. Detroit Lions - Tracy Walker  - 4.51
93. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ronnie Harrison  - -
95. San Francisco 49ers - Tarvarius Moore  - 4.32
109. Washington Redskins - Troy Apke  - 4.34
117. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jordan Whitehead  - 4.52
119. Los Angeles Chargers - Kyzir White  - 4.56
124. Kansas City Chiefs - Armani Watts  - -
146. Seattle Seahawks - Tre Flowers  - 4.45
148. Pittsburgh Steelers - Marcus Allen  - 4.59
164. New Orleans Saints - Natrell Jamerson  - 4.4
184. San Francisco 49ers - Marcell Harris  - 4.6
190. Baltimore Ravens - DeShon Elliott  - 4.58

18 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Rapp is a in the box safety.  He has never shown the range to be anything else.

That's not true at all. He played a ton of single high and 2-high at Washington and did very well patrolling the deep middle/half. He has no problems in zone coverage. He'll get roasted in man on a slot, but you aren't drafting him if you're a heavy blitzing man team. He's going to go to a heavy zone team and do extremely well in any zone he's asked to play. He has great breaks on the ball and knows how to anticipate routes to be in the passing lanes. He bats down quite a few balls and was never a liability in the deep spaces.

I'd be willing to bet he played more as a high safety than he did as a roll down box safety at Washington.

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Rapp is a in the box safety.  He has never shown the range to be anything else.

And a slow 40 will still impact his stock. I'm not saying it should, but NFL teams have been telling us that by how they draft the position. 

47 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

And a slow 40 will still impact his stock. I'm not saying it should, but NFL teams have been telling us that by how they draft the position. 

If you truly believe he's a 4.74.

3.99 shuttle, 35inch vert and sub 6.9 3 cone doesn't translate to 4.74 40. He had poor form on his 40, he weaved all over the hash. Rapp is a mid 4.5 player, I can pretty confidently say.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

3.99 shuttle, 35inch vert and sub 6.9 3 cone doesn't translate to 4.74 40. He had poor form on his 40, he weaved all over the hash. Rapp is a mid 4.5 player, I can pretty confidently say.

One could argue that the fact he hasn't been practicing his form for something as fundamental as the 40 says something about him too.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Man I really hope so, because I really like Rapp. Is there a precedent for this though? 

7 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Man I really hope so, because I really like Rapp. Is there a precedent for this though? 

The vert and shuttle show explosion, his 10 yard and 20 yard should be pretty good, so either he has no top end speed (which would show up on tape in the Pac 12 and doesn't) or he just ran a bad 40. You're talking tenths of a second so weaving around in your 40 can easily cause .2 seconds worth of added time.

54 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The vert and shuttle show explosion, his 10 yard and 20 yard should be pretty good, so either he has no top end speed (which would show up on tape in the Pac 12 and doesn't) or he just ran a bad 40. You're talking tenths of a second so weaving around in your 40 can easily cause .2 seconds worth of added time.

I'd love to believe that but I'm not fully buying it. Rapp had plenty of concerns about his long speed that's why everyone wanted to see him run. He had good explosion numbers in Washington's spring testing last year, but the 40 was noticeably absent and he was a 4.75 guy coming out of high school. 

I just think he's so good at anticipating, taking the right angles and diagnosing quickly, you do what the Huskies did this year with him and stick him over the slot and in the box. He could be phenomenal in a role that makes the most of his explosive athleticism and smarts, but I think the 40 time backs up what a lot of people thought, he's not a rangy athlete. That'll limit his suitors, but it doesn't mean a team won't get a really good player. 

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

That's not true at all. He played a ton of single high and 2-high at Washington and did very well patrolling the deep middle/half. He has no problems in zone coverage. He'll get roasted in man on a slot, but you aren't drafting him if you're a heavy blitzing man team. He's going to go to a heavy zone team and do extremely well in any zone he's asked to play. He has great breaks on the ball and knows how to anticipate routes to be in the passing lanes. He bats down quite a few balls and was never a liability in the deep spaces.

I'd be willing to bet he played more as a high safety than he did as a roll down box safety at Washington.

I disagree.  He was asked to play deep safety for Washington but is a much better tackler than a CF.  His job seemed to be to let no one behind him and typically played 25 yards off the LOS.  I think he will be a much better SS in the NFL.  He is a sure tackler.  He would match-up well vs TEs.

51 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I disagree.  He was asked to play deep safety for Washington but is a much better tackler than a CF.  His job seemed to be to let no one behind him and typically played 25 yards off the LOS.  I think he will be a much better SS in the NFL.  He is a sure tackler.  He would match-up well vs TEs.

No I agree he's a SS in the NFL, but I reject the idea that he simply CANNOT play single or 2-high in a zone scheme. I think he's more versatile than people are giving him credit for.

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I'd love to believe that but I'm not fully buying it. Rapp had plenty of concerns about his long speed that's why everyone wanted to see him run. He had good explosion numbers in Washington's spring testing last year, but the 40 was noticeably absent and he was a 4.75 guy coming out of high school. 

I just think he's so good at anticipating, taking the right angles and diagnosing quickly, you do what the Huskies did this year with him and stick him over the slot and in the box. He could be phenomenal in a role that makes the most of his explosive athleticism and smarts, but I think the 40 time backs up what a lot of people thought, he's not a rangy athlete. That'll limit his suitors, but it doesn't mean a team won't get a really good player. 

Possibly one can consider him an elite athlete because he is so good at anticipating and taking the right angles to make plays on the football.  In terms of ball hawking ability he is as good as any safety in the draft but sure that bad 40 time will hurt him and will possibly cause him to drop out of the 1st round.

Nasir Adderley apparently ran a 4.54 40 and that was with a injured hamstring half way through it.  Had 38" vertical, 10 9 broad, and 19 reps at 225, not bad numbers for him.  I thought he could maybe run around 4.3 or heard that which would be amazing.  Still great time for being injured half way through it.  Some guys are not track dudes but in the NFL of today would be hard to believe a guy like Rapp has never been coached in how to run the 40 much less with all this pre draft work that is done and players getting training for that entire time.  

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah it will be interesting to see what happens with him.  On the field Rapp easily has the best ball skills of any safety in the draft attacking the football in the air and making plays for a variety of different spots on the field.  Darius West ran a good 40 at the combine 4.39 but over his career has never shown the type of ability Rapp has shown, but sure is a good time and some people that is all that matters.  Could totally argue Mike Edwards is a far superior safety to his teammate West but will see how Edwards runs when he is healthy, regardless I would still take Edwards over West based on what he does on the field.  Same can be said for Rapp and other safeties out there.  Will be curious what Deionte Thompson runs when he gets the chance, he could be a 2nd rounder when most of the year was considered a 1st round talent.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

In terms of ball hawking ability he is as good as any safety in the draft but sure that bad 40 time will hurt him and will possibly cause him to drop out of the 1st round.

Nah, I'm taking Adderley and CGJ over him. Adderley is the best, and it's not even close imo.

Archived