Pro Day Results

goldfishwars

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, I legitimately did not understand what people were doing putting Oliver in the teens in their mocks.  I mean, sure he missed a good chunk of the season, but that didn't hurt Bosa much in the eyes of big draft.

Probably size. People tend to be skittish when a guy breaks the mold.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Probably size. People tend to be skittish when a guy breaks the mold.

But, like, we've gotten over "short QBs" for the most part and the sample size for undersized defensive tackles that turned out to be fantastic NFL players is a lot larger (and includes the current best defensive player in football, IMO).  So you'd hope people would figure it out sooner or later.

36 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, I legitimately did not understand what people were doing putting Oliver in the teens in their mocks.  I mean, sure he missed a good chunk of the season, but that didn't hurt Bosa much in the eyes of big draft.

Defensive tackles go lower than expected every year.  I don't remember if Daron Payne was being consistently put in top 10's, but I do remember Jonathan Allen being called the best player in the class by everyone, and he went 18.  Sheldon Rankins was a blue chipper the year before, and he went 12th.  Leonard Williams was supposedly the best player in the class before that, and went sixth.

It wouldn't shock me if Oliver fell out of the top 10.

18 hours ago, Daniel said:

but I do remember Jonathan Allen being called the best player in the class by everyone

Jonathan Allen was never the best player in the class. He wasn't even the best defensive lineman. He was a solid 1st rounder for me throughout the entire process and I was lambasted for saying it. I think he's done a little better than "OK" for Washington so far, but he was never some elite defensive prospect in my eyes.

Oliver isn't going to slide. He's an absolutely disruptive force in both the run and passing game. He's going to go in the top 10 and IMO, will still end up in the top 5 somehow some way.

11 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

There is a reason Bosa is rated higher than Oliver: Generally, outside rushers have a greater value than interior. In addition, Bosa is a much better technician of the game than Oliver. Oliver has a lot of potential, but needs work.

I can agree with most of this, but I still think Oliver is going to be viewed as the better player in time. He is more explosive and consistently disruptive. Yes Bosa has better hand technique, but in all fairness to Oliver, he hasn't really needed to use his hands to battle guys. He already has the shoulder of the opposing OG before they even get out of their stance. I see this translating to the NFL as well. His first step quickness is, IMO, better than Donald's. I'd never say Oliver is better than Donald, but in terms of first step explosion, I think he is.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Jonathan Allen was never the best player in the class. He wasn't even the best defensive lineman. He was a solid 1st rounder for me throughout the entire process and I was lambasted for saying it. I think he's done a little better than "OK" for Washington so far, but he was never some elite defensive prospect in my eyes.

Oliver isn't going to slide. He's an absolutely disruptive force in both the run and passing game. He's going to go in the top 10 and IMO, will still end up in the top 5 somehow some way.

TBF Allen had some hyped measurables that just didn't show when he reached the combine. I remember him being touted at well over 300 with a crazy burst but came in at what like 285?

Ty Summers showed up really well at the TCU pro day with a 4.12 SS and a 6.84 3-cone. Pauline reported that he looked great in position drills.

That's on top of running a 4.51 at the Combine and putting up a 36" vert and 1003 broad jump at 241 pounds. How he's not getting more buzz is beyond me; he's highly athletic, and his coverage skills are better than some of the safeties that will go in the top three rounds. Sure, he misses some tackles and overpursues at times, but he's really polished in coverage and would be a good fit for a team that wants to stay in subpackages a lot since he already has experience in a 425 defense.

Archived