Howard rumors heating up

beardown3231

Multiple teams makes me more confident in a better return that some of us have thought and projected.

Howard is leaving in 2020, if the Bears can get a draft asset for him before he leaves and then replace him in free agency and the draft with a better fit than that is the logical move.

NY Jets make a TON of sense with Gase/Loggains there and a young QB they are trying to develop.

We can packing our 3rd round pick, #87, and Jordan Howard to move up to the Jets' #68 pick. The value equates to a very low 3rd round pick.

25 minutes ago, soulman said:

Guys this is Adam Schefter, NFL Rumor Central, and "multiple" is anything more than one.  I don't buy into a lot of stuff he reports.

He is pretty credible. 100x more than JLC or anyone at Bleacher Report.

Nicholas Moreano
‏@NicholasMoreano
17m17 minutes ago
Adam Schefter joined Waddle & Silvy to discuss the Jordan Howard trade rumors. Schefter said that the talks have been going on for a while. Schefter said he thinks the trade could get done once trades start happening. He also believes that Howard would be traded for a Day 3 pick.

Aaron Leming
@AaronLemingNFL
Aaron Leming Retweeted Nicholas Moreano
Referenced the Carlos Hyde trade, which was for a 5th rounder. #Bears

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Nicholas Moreano
‏@NicholasMoreano
17m17 minutes ago
Adam Schefter joined Waddle & Silvy to discuss the Jordan Howard trade rumors. Schefter said that the talks have been going on for a while. Schefter said he thinks the trade could get done once trades start happening. He also believes that Howard would be traded for a Day 3 pick.

Aaron Leming
@AaronLemingNFL
Aaron Leming Retweeted Nicholas Moreano
Referenced the Carlos Hyde trade, which was for a 5th rounder. #Bears

I think an early 5th is probably what we are looking at...a 4th would be a good return.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

He is pretty credible. 100x more than JLC or anyone at Bleacher Report.

Windy for once I'm gonna disagree.  Schefter is rarely 100% credible.  Here ya' go.

"Multiple teams approached the Chicago Bears at the combine last week and discussed a potential trade for RB Jordan Howard, per league sources," Schefter tweeted. "Discussions ongoing."

Schefter did not go into specifics of who showed any particular interest in the young running back.

There all kinds of specifics about whose in on Antonio Brown, some other stuff on OBJ, and a few others.  People are naming names.  Has Schefter?  The term "multiple teams" is non-specific.  It would be two or it could be ten.  If you want credibility give facts and names otherwise it's fluff reporting.

We want to buy in because many of us see some wisdom in making a trade.  I do too.  For example, if we can make a deal with Buffalo for their 4th I'd be listening.  Or better yet we offer Howard and a 7th for their 3rd where do I sign?  Or it that's too light we package a future pick conditioned on his performance. 

I don't doubt a trade has been discussed for Howard and a dozen or more front line starters but it may be no where near as imminent as Schefter likes to depict it.  It's another "talking point" to get face time on camera.  Pace has proven to be pretty astute so I'll leave it up to him to do what's best.  I've already given my thoughts on it and lacking other data to analyze I'll stick with those.

50 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is leaving in 2020 so I am not sure why so many people online are up in arms over it.

This is not a long term piece at a replaceable position.

I'm good with it either way but on one condition I'm hoping is also running through Paces head.

There is a level at which keeping Howard is worth more than trading him only because he's playing out his contract.

Forgetting all about any potential compensatory pick for allowing him to leave in 2020 what I would be asking myself is what are the chances the draft pick I'm being offered will contribute more to the Bears success in 2019 than Howard?  Beyond the 3rd round the chances of finding a starter decline pretty rapidly so we're talking about backup depth and developmental picks who will likely end up on the PS if they even make that.

I realize Pace has been very successful find starting caliber players after round 3.  Even Howard was a 5th round pick.  But other than Howard and maybe Eddie Jackson have we drafted anyone after round 3 who contributed more than Howard has even in 2018?  If so who?  Tarik Cohen has probably equaled him in 2018 but not 2017 and more so as a receiver because he can't handle being a full time #1 RB at his size.

We went through this once before with Matt Forte whose production was declining but he was still instrumental in helping us to win games.  We should be placing a value on that as well.  I don't believe keeping Jordan Howard will prevent us from winning a championship more than I believe not having an effective lead back like Howard will. 

When used correctly he can still be a very productive back especially if supplemented with another back who offers a skill set Howard lacks.  All I'm saying is let's not be too quick to discard him for "whatever we can get" because another year's worth of production may end up being worth far more than a Day 3 pick unless that pick can assure us of getting a player whose immediately productive as well.  JMHO

9 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I agree the Jets would make so much sense...

The Ravens would be an excellent fit...Bucs should be in on him and the Raiders...no doubt he would start for a lot of teams.

If to the Jets maybe they just swap us JH for Crowell. I’d be down. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

If to the Jets maybe they just swap us JH for Crowell. I’d be down. 

I wouldn't go that far...Crowell is a solid runner but an asshat off the field...I would rather wait till he was then cut to make a play for him.

Archived