Free Agency News & Rumors

RamRod

29 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

The scheme Malik Jackson started his career in....the one he played under our current DC Wade Phillips....the one that he showed success in and it garnered him the 6yr $85.5Mil dollar deal? lol ya got me man, this must be a square peg in a round hole situation that i'm just not seeing. We'll talk in a few days when Brockers gets released and we sign Malik Jackson :D

You realize your response doesnt even address what Im saying right? Youre just making random "points" that no one is arguing with you about

23 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You realize your response doesnt even address what Im saying right? Youre just making random "points" that no one is arguing with you about

Ughhh, fine. Let's do the boring scheme talk. Wade runs a one-gap attacking 3-4, as opposed to, a two gap that requires you to read and react. The down linemen are not reading the play and choose the gap to fill and letting LB make plays, they are attacking from the snap. Philips prides himself in allowing players to play to their strengths and play without having to over-think. Because the down linemen are attacking, your LB's are there to clean up. For this reason, I do not see us throwing money at a CJ Mosley when Micah Kiser can be just as successful in his role (similar to Shaq Barrett).

As it relates to Malik Jackson, He can play RDE or LDE and his stats have shown he has the ability to make more plays in this attacking style then we've seen Brockers due in the past 2 seasons. Sign me up for a more productive replacement at a cheaper price. Also, the savings can be spent on one of the multiple FS on the market ( I like Clinton Dix or Mathieu)

26 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Because the down linemen are attacking, your LB's are there to clean up. For this reason, I do not see us throwing money at a CJ Mosley when Micah Kiser can be just as successful in his role (similar to Shaq Barrett).

Not all the down linemen are attacking. This has been the entire point of this debate about Brockers all offseason. It has not been his job, the vast majority of the time, to attack the QB. He has been the one holding the pocket, making sure that the QB can not escape up avoiding Donald and the mishmash cast of others we have had rushing the passer for the past few seasons. Hence my point of you not understanding the entire scheme. Just looking for Sacks and TFL is lazy, flat out lazy when comparing players.

And saying we should cut a guy (who you think is under preforming) with one year left on his deal, to go throw money (likely more similar dollars than you think) at a guy who has also been under preforming because he had a few more sacks, is bad roster building. Especially when you would then throw away the Comp pick coming our way attached to our own guy (a strategy clearly deployed by our FO at this point). And its absolutely not the same thing as going to throw money at a high dollar FA when we have a cheep guy they like on the roster already (your ILB call out) those are very different situations.

41 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Enough bickering....back to the thread topic. As per Ian Rapaport, Eric Weddle is visiting the Rams.

Would love to get Weddle. Hopefully we lock him down. His game might not be (didn't watch him almost at all this year but that is what Ravens fans say) what it use to be but I think what he can do for our defense pre-snap will help tremendously. 

7 minutes ago, RamRod said:

I don’t even know how to feel about Weddle. I feel like half of Rams fans are eagerly hoping it happens and the other half saying he’s washed and want nothing to do with him.

If he comes cheap enough, I'd be okay with it and then have us take a flyer on a mid-round FS with high upside to learn behind him for a year. But still preferring Clinton Dix or Mathieu. Read too much bad feedback on Weddle from Ravens fans about last season. Father time apparently hit him hard.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I was joking, so you dont have to take it personal

But your assessment is way off, which has been detailed out countless times on this fourm at this point. Is he worth the full $11m? no, no one is saying that, but you add in the Comp pick attached when he signs elsewhere next offseason and then his value increases. You arent finding his replacement value out there after cutting him.

He's convinced that JFM is ready to deploy full-time as a starter, which he frankly (pun intended) hasn't shown.  He's shown flashes, not the kind of performance that would merit cutting Brockers loose 1 season before his contract runs out while ALSO trying to fill another starting spot on the starting DL.

12 minutes ago, RamRod said:

I don’t even know how to feel about Weddle. I feel like half of Rams fans are eagerly hoping it happens and the other half saying he’s washed and want nothing to do with him.

I've moved off Weddle.  I want Tayshaun Gipson as our "Suh signing" this offseason (mostly because with the way the safety market keeps trending, there's actually a chance we could get him to accept a more modest deal the year following because the market just continues to not be there for safeties and he might hopefully find himself a home on a successful team).

Weddle from what we’ve seen doesn’t have much left in the tank and I’d rather we not add him.

About the Brockers debate the Rams have said multiple times this offseason they’re not doing anything with Brockers contract. It also doesn’t fit the way Snead does things. Cutting him doesn’t help us add picks via the comp pick formula. If the move on from him it’ll be via trade like Ogletree and Quinn orbwhen his contract is up like Watkins, Jenkins and TruJo. This isn’t rocket science and it’s easy to figure out. We may noy like what Brockers gave us last year and that’s fine to just disagree. But cutting him is foolish and not the way our FO works so you can probably get that idea, thought or wish out of your mind.

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Ughhh, fine. Let's do the boring scheme talk. Wade runs a one-gap attacking 3-4, as opposed to, a two gap that requires you to read and react. The down linemen are not reading the play and choose the gap to fill and letting LB make plays, they are attacking from the snap. Philips prides himself in allowing players to play to their strengths and play without having to over-think. Because the down linemen are attacking, your LB's are there to clean up. For this reason, I do not see us throwing money at a CJ Mosley when Micah Kiser can be just as successful in his role (similar to Shaq Barrett).

As it relates to Malik Jackson, He can play RDE or LDE and his stats have shown he has the ability to make more plays in this attacking style then we've seen Brockers due in the past 2 seasons. Sign me up for a more productive replacement at a cheaper price. Also, the savings can be spent on one of the multiple FS on the market ( I like Clinton Dix or Mathieu)

What you fail to grasp is that Jackson and Brockers wouldn't be mutually-exclusive.  Even if we did sign Jackson and start him at LDE where Brockers had been getting most of his reps, we'd likely then shift Brockers inside back to NT.

Also, when Jackson was in his hey-day in Denver under Wade, he had these two guys named Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware playing OLB who did a hell of a lot more than just "clean up."  if anything, you could make a better argument that Jackson and Derek Wolfe were able to come in and "clean up" because a TE-chip alone wasn't going to allow opposing offenses to defend against Miller and Ware.

21 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I've moved off Weddle.  I want Tayshaun Gipson as our "Suh signing" this offseason

Why not add both? My idea with Weddle would be more for the veteran leadership angle. He could still add some, but in a more limited role, and we run plenty of safeties in this defense, especially with Barron out, there is more reps for those duties out of a S spot than a "LB" spot

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Why not add both? My idea with Weddle would be more for the veteran leadership angle. He could still add some, but in a more limited role, and we run plenty of safeties in this defense, especially with Barron out, there is more reps for those duties out of a S spot than a "LB" spot

To be honest, I wouldn't mind it.  Weddle has a future as a coach if he wants it.  And with the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't promote Pleasant he's going to get DC offers before too long, so it would be nice to start establishing relationships for former players able to step into coaching positions.

Archived