Free Agency News & Rumors

RamRod

8 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Ughhh, fine. Let's do the boring scheme talk. Wade runs a one-gap attacking 3-4, as opposed to, a two gap that requires you to read and react. The down linemen are not reading the play and choose the gap to fill and letting LB make plays, they are attacking from the snap. Philips prides himself in allowing players to play to their strengths and play without having to over-think. Because the down linemen are attacking, your LB's are there to clean up. For this reason, I do not see us throwing money at a CJ Mosley when Micah Kiser can be just as successful in his role (similar to Shaq Barrett).

As it relates to Malik Jackson, He can play RDE or LDE and his stats have shown he has the ability to make more plays in this attacking style then we've seen Brockers due in the past 2 seasons. Sign me up for a more productive replacement at a cheaper price. Also, the savings can be spent on one of the multiple FS on the market ( I like Clinton Dix or Mathieu)

Going to nitpick here, Shaq Barrett is a 3-4 OLB. I'd love if he ended up here. You might be thinking of Todd Davis. Brandon Marshall, Danny Trevathan, and Todd Davis were the guys who mainly started at ILB for Wade in Denver.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, jrry32 said:

Going to nitpick here, Shaq Barrett is a 3-4 OLB. I'd love if he ended up here. You might be thinking of Todd Davis. Brandon Marshall, Danny Trevathan, and Todd Davis were the guys who mainly started at ILB for Wade in Denver.

One of those Todd Davis' was supposed to be Brandon Marshall, I suspect.

1 hour ago, dtwizzy2k8 said:

Chiefs cut Justin Houston. I feel like Wade Phillips could use him as a nice pass rusher for us (if the price is right). He was scheduled for $30mil over the next 2 years before he got cut.

If we want him, it's likely going to take a Suh size prove-it deal.  The Chiefs couldn't trade him because he wasn't willing to renegotiate his contract to take less money at another locale, so he's likely going to be seeking in the $13-15M/yr range, particularly if it's on a prove-it deal.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Then do you just really like Todd Davis?  Or is there someone we're both forgetting?

I said he might be thinking of Todd Davis (because he was the more unknown guy). Then, I listed the three ILBs who started the vast majority of snaps over Wade's two years in Denver.

51 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I honestly just hope the guarantees aren't huge.  If they want to pay him a large APY that has minimal guarantees and basically requires that he live up to the contract value in order to not be cut the following offseason, it's not a terrible deal... as long as it's still sub-$14m APY.  At the very least, it makes us less desperate to have to reach for an EDGE with our first pick in the draft.

7 hours ago, The LBC said:

I honestly just hope the guarantees aren't huge.  If they want to pay him a large APY that has minimal guarantees and basically requires that he live up to the contract value in order to not be cut the following offseason, it's not a terrible deal... as long as it's still sub-$14m APY.  At the very least, it makes us less desperate to have to reach for an EDGE with our first pick in the draft.

Honestly, I was hoping for a guy like Justin Houston cheap, but depending on how much Fowler got it could work out better.

Edit: Doesn't look like Houston is going to be cheap anyway, so this might have been best case scenario if we can get Saffold back too.

Theoretically, who could we restructure to convert their base to the minimum and give them a roster bonus to free up cap?

On SpotTrac, I restructed Brandin Cooks, Rob Havenstein, and Robert WOods and free'd up $4.2million in cap. I have NO idea of the long term ramifications of that, but looked good on paper.

Rotoworld says Fowler's contract is for 1-year, $14 million. That is a lot for someone with his resume...

I'm hoping Wade Phillips just has a lot of confidence in his ability to coach up Fowler and knows what he's doing. I did like Fowler's contributions once we signed him, but $14 mil is a lot of money that he's going to have to live up to. I guess it's only 1 year, so Fowler will have to prove himself.

Archived