Free Agency News & Rumors

RamRod

49 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Theoretically, who could we restructure to convert their base to the minimum and give them a roster bonus to free up cap?

On SpotTrac, I restructed Brandin Cooks, Rob Havenstein, and Robert WOods and free'd up $4.2million in cap. I have NO idea of the long term ramifications of that, but looked good on paper.

Restructuring anyone before Goff is extended (or until we're trying to make sure we have the money to extend Goff ) is running-across-burning-coals-while-soaked-in-kerosene stupid.  Just put it as far away from your mind as possible.  We're on roleplayers and the draft at this point unless a vet decides, likely post-draft probably even post-June-1st, that he's willing to take a cheaper 1-year deal to ring-hunt while trying to make a case for a big 2020 payday.  It is what it is.  You wanted so desperately to re-sign Fowler and this is the position doing that puts us in.

13 minutes ago, dtwizzy2k8 said:

Rotoworld says Fowler's contract is for 1-year, $14 million. That is a lot for someone with his resume...

I'm hoping Wade Phillips just has a lot of confidence in his ability to coach up Fowler and knows what he's doing. I did like Fowler's contributions once we signed him, but $14 mil is a lot of money that he's going to have to live up to. I guess it's only 1 year, so Fowler will have to prove himself.

Honestly, this reeks to me of stop-gap, which I'm fine with - if you're going to go the stop-gap route, better to ride the status quo when the status quo took you to the Super Bowl and actually came on as the playoffs progressed (the offense and McVay lost us that Super Bowl, not the defense).  We may still go EDGE in the 1st this draft, but this takes the pressure off us to do so and off that guy to be an instant-starter - which allows us to swing more for ceiling than floor whenever we take that EDGE player.  But it also gives us the flexibility that if a DT or even IOL of value that no one expected to fall to us actually does, we're not bent over a barrel to absolutely have to take the guy for fear of not being on the clock again for 65ish picks.  And flexibility is the name of Snead's game on Draft Weekend, because he's always tried to trade back somewhere in the draft (usually the middle rounds, but if he gets a worthwhile offer for #31, I doubt it's off the table).

5 hours ago, JonStark said:

Honestly, I was hoping for a guy like Justin Houston cheap, but depending on how much Fowler got it could work out better.

Edit: Doesn't look like Houston is going to be cheap anyway, so this might have been best case scenario if we can get Saffold back too.

Houston's going to, unless he just gets completely shunned for his contract demands (i.e. Jonathan Hankins last year), get $16M/yr on any short-term contract.  So there are pros and cons.  Personally, I'd have probably taken the risk on him over Fowler at the known prices given that he offers more ceiling in terms of expected performance if healthy, even though his floor is certainly lower (i.e. him actually staying healthy), mostly because I value the mentorship at the position that is more than what Fowler brings to the table (again, I'm not the biggest Barry fan when it comes to developing outside linebackers and saw firsthand what a veteran star in his twilight was able to do to help LB's under Barry when Dwight Freeney came to San Diego and played a big role in Melvin Ingram's development).

Fowler vs Shaq Barrett was kind of a coin flip for me.  There are clear pro's and con's to both.  Both, to me, would have been clear stop-gaps versus long-term solutions.  If the feeling was that Barrett was going to command more guarantees than Fowler, then like I said, I get why the FO would lean towards the known-commodity in Fowler.

50 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Restructuring anyone before Goff is extended (or until we're trying to make sure we have the money to extend Goff ) is running-across-burning-coals-while-soaked-in-kerosene stupid.  Just put it as far away from your mind as possible.  We're on roleplayers and the draft at this point unless a vet decides, likely post-draft probably even post-June-1st, that he's willing to take a cheaper 1-year deal to ring-hunt while trying to make a case for a big 2020 payday.  It is what it is.  You wanted so desperately to re-sign Fowler and this is the position doing that puts us in.

lmfao you're so salty acting like I brought this upon us.  Snead thought it was a good idea so let's assume it is. 

16 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

lmfao you're so salty acting like I brought this upon us.  Snead thought it was a good idea so let's assume it is. 

Snead also thinks keeping Brockers for the last year of his deal as is so that’s another thing that should be dropped.

12 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Snead also thinks keeping Brockers for the last year of his deal as is so that’s another thing that should be dropped.

Haven't brought it up again, have I?  Vincent Bonsignore tweeted today it's not happening so I will take his word for it.

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'm not salty in the slightest.  I've been saying all along that we need to be realistic (sorry, but that hasn't shown to be a strength of yours they way you regularly disdain things like scheme-fit or clear strategy the front office is using as "boring").  One of the main reasons I was against spending big money (you were pushing us spending even more than this on the assumption that he was going to meet potential that he's failed for 5 years to  do) was because I knew the amount that was going to be involved and the kind of impact the financial ramifications of that contract would have on our ability to both resign the players we want (including Goff) and have flexibility to seize on opportunities that could help us get over a hump mid-season were they to come to us.

Sorry, bro, but learn to take criticism.

We need to get a deal done with Saffold...that dude is gonna have huge money thrown at him in FA...I get he loves us and all...but the man has to eat.

Don't wanna go into the draft having to fill to oline spots....

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I'm not salty in the slightest.  I've been saying all along that we need to be realistic (sorry, but that hasn't shown to be a strength of yours they way you regularly disdain things like scheme-fit or clear strategy the front office is using as "boring").  One of the main reasons I was against spending big money (you were pushing us spending even more than this on the assumption that he was going to meet potential that he's failed for 5 years to  do) was because I knew the amount that was going to be involved and the kind of impact the financial ramifications of that contract would have on our ability to both resign the players we want (including Goff) and have flexibility to seize on opportunities that could help us get over a hump mid-season were they to come to us.

Sorry, bro, but learn to take criticism.

1. I've never used the term boring once. I do not completely agree with using the compensatory pick strategy as a way to dictate our entire offseason. It is good to be used sparing to moderately, but to 100% abide by it does not sit well with me. It limits your prospect pool. Also, I am only looking for players that fit our scheme and have experience with it (malik jackson, Shaq Barret, Danny Shelton, Shane Ray, Cam Wake, etc)

2. Yes, I wanted to invest in a short term prove it deal with a fairly large cap number in Dante Fowler. I believe it will pay off. I have faith in his development in this system and on this team. He feels the same way because he didn't even test the market. Les Snead agrees because he shelled out $14mil for one year.

3. I also am of the belief that we should use this as the last year to spend big in FA and trade picks to make a last SuperBowl run as a "dream team", because of after we pay Goff next season, it will have to be him who carries us there. It is no secret how huge of an advantage it is to have a QB outperform his rookie deal so if this is the last year of it for us, balls to the wall I say. Once we pay Goff $28mil a year, let him carry a less-talented team to the superbowl. By then he will have had enough experience that he should be able to it.

4. I can take criticism just fine; I enjoy differences of opinion. I've learned alot disagreeing with Jrry from time to time. But if you want to act like a school girl and point out that we can't spend money because we paid Fowler "like I desperately wanted" I'm going to call you salty for it. I've been saying it for a while now, Snead agrees, and I think it will pay off. I was wrong about cutting Brockers. Oh well. That's what we are here for.  

Now we should still have $30mil left in cap space, save $6 to sign the rookie class. I pose the question to you, what would you do with the remainder? 

30 minutes ago, RamRod said:

10-Jerry-Maguire-quotes.gif

With all this money being thrown at FS's on the market, Weddle-in-his-Twilight is looking like a steal for the price we got him at (especially since he won't count against the comp equation).

Archived