Broncos to trade Case Keenum to Redskins

BroncoSojia

Broncos have trade parameters with Washington for QB Case Keenum: Broncos get WAS 6th in 2020, WAS gets Broncos 7th in '20, per source. Keenum's contract reworked. Broncos pay him $500K restructure bonus and pay $3.5 million of his $7M salary. Washington pays $3.5 mi. #9sports

That's from @MikeKlis in Denver.  Washington wasn't going to give up draft position for the "privilege" of paying Keenum $14.5M this year.  Keenum only had $7M guaranteed and he will walk away with $7.5M thanks to the $500K restructure bonus.  Denver gets as much off the books as they could and moves on.

2 minutes ago, titanrick said:

That's from @MikeKlis in Denver.  Washington wasn't going to give up draft position for the "privilege" of paying Keenum $14.5M this year.  Keenum only had $7M guaranteed and he will walk away with $7.5M thanks to the $500K restructure bonus.  Denver gets as much off the books as they could and moves on.

In which case, it's a workable deal.

38 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Was should just run McCoy out there this year, trade away veterans for picks and rebuild in 2020 with a top 5 picks and a stacked QB class.  Why draft a project QB in mid round 1 when you can lock up an OL/pass rusher there and go for Tua or Herbert next year.

Our current GM and HC can't afford to tank this season because they will lose their jobs.  That is why lame duck administrations are a disaster.  

32 minutes ago, Woz said:

Which is what I wanted to do. I was willing to accept a really bad year to build for (hopefully) a decade of competence.

However, you have to realize the business/ticket side of the house is in somewhat dire straits. Attendance has been dropping regularly, and season ticket sales are drying up. Even before the week 17 "road" game for Philadelphia, Washington fans have been in short supply at FedEx Field. So, it becomes an open question of whether the franchise could choose to tank a year.

The chance that Snyder could sell the franchise has ticked up. Granted that means going from 0% to 1% (and even that might be optimistic on my part), but large swaths of the fanbase are done with him.

I disagree with you.  The reason tickets have been dropping is because of the same short term, no long term plan nonsense they always do.  If they came out and said they were rebuilding, here's our long term strategy, I think the fanbase would embrace that as a breath of fresh air.  

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I disagree with you.  The reason tickets have been dropping is because of the same short term, no long term plan nonsense they always do.  If they came out and said they were rebuilding, here's our long term strategy, I think the fanbase would embrace that as a breath of fresh air.  

I'm not as convinced the fanbase would react as well as you think, but part of the problem is that Brice is trying to save his job right now, so any long term plan/strategy is irrelevant if he's fired in a year's time.

49 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Who cares if other teams think it's a joke.  What are you trying to accomplish?  Win 6 games, get to playoffs, rebuild from the bottom up?

You are not a playoff team so Keenum isn't leading you there.  You are a 6 win team with Keenum so why not just rebuild and if that means punting the season with guy like McCoy then do it.  Either go all in for the playoffs or punt the season, I would hate it watching my team just dip 1 toe in the puddle and hope for a .500 season with no real chance to win and miss on a franchise changing QB next year.

You just don’t get it with the McCoy thing. They’ve tried to give him the job multiple times and he gets hurt every single time. He couldn’t make it through his one start without breaking his leg. They can’t do what they did last year and bring in Sanchez and Johnson. And while I would love for them to tank, most NFL teams simply aren’t willing to do this.

Not to mention, in no way does this take them out of the running for Rosen. Smith is never playing again so him being on the roster is simply a formality and Colt can’t stay healthy. We conceivably have one healthy QB on the roster at this point and he’s making pennies. We’re either going to draft a QB high or trade for Rosen. One of those things will happen. 

57 minutes ago, Woz said:

And if I could wave a magic wand and make the bold happen, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Keenum is more a solution to a political/organizational/save-my-job problem than a football talent one.

This. Gruden is grasping for straws now. The year in Minnesota was lightning in a bottle. He'll never be that guy again and was being pretty overrated after that year. Adam Thielen bailed him out a lot too honestly. Hows Doctson looked?

6 minutes ago, KOTN-93 said:

This. Gruden is grasping for straws now. The year in Minnesota was lightning in a bottle. He'll never be that guy again and was being pretty overrated after that year. Adam Thielen bailed him out a lot too honestly. Hows Doctson looked?

giphy.gif

Also, I would say it's more Brice grasping, but Gruden's probably on board on the grounds that if Brice goes, he goes.

Useless and depressing bit of trivia: Jay Gruden is the fourth longest head coach in Washington franchise history, only behind Joe Gibbs, Norv Turner, and George Allen.

When your dream scenario is Alex Smith returning, the nightmare scenario is Colt McCoy starting and the middle of the road scenario is Case Keemun... you know it’s going to be a rough year to be a Redskin fan.

14 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

When your dream scenario is Alex Smith returning, the nightmare scenario is Colt McCoy starting and the middle of the road scenario is Case Keemun... you know it’s going to be a rough year to be a Redskin fan.

Umm, we knew that last year when they traded for Smith.

On 3/7/2019 at 5:52 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

They should get a shiny new WR to pair with Keenum. I hear the best in the league is available. Only need to pony up a first and that dude can be yours.

Would that first round pick net just the receiver, or would his diva attitude and all the headaches associated with it also come with the deal? 

Archived