LoganF89

Keenum trade talk

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I can tell you one thing, if we don't use this to land Rosen and all we end up is getting Keenum, I'm gonna feel like Della Reese yelling at Rhedd Foxx in "Harlem Nights" complaining about the orange juice

"I get my mouth all set for some orange juice and there's just a swallow in the container."

I would link to the video... but...language...

But if you don't know what I'm talking about. Google it.

I get the thinking that this could be used to make Rosen cheaper.....but what’s Rosen gonna think coming in here. We already know he’s a headcase and now he’d have some old dude breathing down his neck with every mistake. If they’re gonna bring Rosen in here the situation should be treated like he has a year to prove he’s the guy. If not he and they move on and we go hunt out QBOTF. The Keenum move just seems to hinder that

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Business as usual. 

At least they gave up basically nothing for him. 

It sounds like they tore up Keenum’s old deal. Still we wait to hear what the terms of the new deal are. If it’s just $3.5M for this year and then it’s over, I guess I can live with it. If they gave him more guaranteed money and extended it...

I'm already assuming we're gonna throw more $ his way somehow

Just now, bigdog44 said:

I get the thinking that this could be used to make Rosen cheaper.....but what’s Rosen gonna think coming in here. We already know he’s a headcase and now he’d have some old dude breathing down his neck with every mistake. If they’re gonna bring Rosen in here the situation should be treated like he has a year to prove he’s the guy. If not he and they move on and we go hunt out QBOTF. The Keenum move just seems to hinder that

Well, the only thing I can think of is Keenum as a one year rental and it allows us to not rush Rosen into the lineup and allows him to sit until he's ready like he should've last year.

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Well, the only thing I can think of is Keenum as a one year rental and it allows us to not rush Rosen into the lineup and allows him to sit until he's ready like he should've last year.

I can see that. The thought of allowing Gruden the time for a QB project makes me nauseous.

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It sounds like they tore up Keenum’s old deal. Still we wait to hear what the terms of the new deal are. If it’s just $3.5M for this year and then it’s over, I guess I can live with it. If they gave him more guaranteed money and extended it...

I don't think they did. Denver and Washington split the $7M that was guaranteed salary for 2019 for Keenum (with Denver paying $500K for the privilege). That would mean it would be $14.5M for a one year deal, of which only $3.5M is guaranteed for Washington should they decide to cut him before the season begins.

9 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

1. Rosen has little to no say on where he is traded.
  2. Both McCoy and Keenum are in their 30s and on deals that expire after this season.
  3. If he doesn't think he can beat out McCoy and Keenum, then he probably needs to consider a new line of work.

Or the Cards aren't trading Rosen at all and trying to use Murrary as bait to get someone to trade for #1pick

1 minute ago, ovfd55 said:

Or the Cards aren't trading Rosen at all and trying to use Murrary as bait to get someone to trade for #1pick

Very possible.

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm already assuming we're gonna throw more $ his way somehow

As am I. I just don’t see why he would have agreed to restructure otherwise.

The $7M in 2019 salary they’re talking about was already fully guaranteed. He could have sat at home drinking beers in a “F*CK JOE FLACCO” and received that $7M. So giving him $7M means nothing. 

For him, the options were either:

(A) Broncos keep him. He makes the full $18M in his salary and duels with Flacco for the starting job. 

(B) Broncos cut him. He receives the full $7M from them no matter what, and becomes a FA. He would latch on with somebody at least as a quality veteran backup, which is a gig where you can get somewhere in the $3-4M range for a year. So let’s say he makes $10M total under this option.

But if the Klis tweet is to be taken as the entirety of the contract re-working, then he’s just getting the $7M, plus the $500k pay-off — and that’s it. He would be giving up a load of money for the right to play for the 2019 Redskins. Which, don’t get me wrong, I love the Redskins. But I don’t think even I would do that...  

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

I don't think they did. Denver and Washington split the $7M that was guaranteed salary for 2019 for Keenum (with Denver paying $500K for the privilege). That would mean it would be $14.5M for a one year deal, of which only $3.5M is guaranteed for Washington should they decide to cut him before the season begins.

Yikes. If that’s how you’re reading it — and that would certainly also be a reasonable read of that tweet — then it’s an awful deal for the Redskins. 

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

As am I. I just don’t see why he would have agreed to restructure otherwise.

The $7M in 2019 salary they’re talking about was already fully guaranteed. He could have sat at home drinking beers in a “F*CK JOE FLACCO” and received that $7M. So giving him $7M means nothing. 

For him, the options were either:

(A) Broncos keep him. He makes the full $18M in his salary and duels with Flacco for the starting job. 

(B) Broncos cut him. He receives the full $7M from them no matter what, and becomes a FA. He would latch on with somebody at least as a quality veteran backup, which is a gig where you can get somewhere in the $3-4M range for a year. So let’s say he makes $10M total under this option.

But if the Klis tweet is to be taken as the entirety of the contract re-working, then he’s just getting the $7M, plus the $500k pay-off — and that’s it. He would be giving up a load of money for the right to play for the 2019 Redskins. Which, don’t get me wrong, I love the Redskins. But I don’t think even I would do that...  

Its possible he wanted a place to compete for a starting job (which we will likely give him) and thought a lot of his chances could dry up after FA and the draft.  

33 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Any thoughts on what this trade could mean on retaining Alex Smith beyond this year or just outright cutting him now? 

Dunno. If they wanted to keep Smith long term, they'd probably have negotiated the contract mod to convert his 2019 salary into signing bonus monies (to amortize them). I don't think it changes the situation, though.

3 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

If that's their game, they've played it very badly. Everyone thinks (including Rosen, I suspect) that they want Murray. As such, there's probably little interest in calling a team who has essentially already made up their mind.

If they wanted to get out of 1.01, they would have said it was on the block like the Jets did with 1.03.

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Yikes. If that’s how you’re reading it — and that would certainly also be a reasonable read of that tweet — then it’s an awful deal for the Redskins. 

My thoughts over in the NFL News thread:

13 minutes ago, Woz said:

Not quite.

Scenario #1: Washington thinks that Case Keenum is the quarterback everyone saw in 2017 in Minnesota. If they extends Keenum prior to the start of the season, this is the correct answer. Given that Brice Allen (yes, that is spelled correctly) "runs" the franchise, it's not outside of the realm of possibility. He is, in fact, a Grade A Moron.

Scenario #2: Washington hopes that Case Keenum is the quarterback everyone saw in 2017 in Minnesota, but is going to take a wait-and-see approach. If he can regain his form, cheap buy! Denver traded away Demaryius Thomas at the trade deadline and had Emmanuel Sanders go on IR in week 11 or 12. So, it wasn't like Keenum had the best of options to throw to. Maybe, he's better than what he showed. Of course, the WR corps in Washington is worse than what it was in Denver (even at the end of the season), so this is a very optimistic view. Again, Brice is a moron.

Scenario #3: Washington really wants Josh Rosen, but doesn't want to pay Arizona's asking price. By trading for Keenum, they can go "we're offering 96 (the Cousins compensatory pick), take it or leave it." They no longer have to make the deal. This only works if Washington had the best offer for the Cardinals, but even that was less than what Arizona wanted. It also requires Brice to be smart ... again, not in evidence.

Scenario #4: Snyder told Allen "we're losing season ticket holders left and right because our starting quarterbacks right now appear to be Colt McCoy and Josh Johnson. Who can we draft to punch up sales?" Allen, while a moron, has some low cunning when it comes to saving his own hide. Brice points out that there isn't anyone in position for them to draft and free agency looks bad too. Getting Keenum allows Brice to show Snyder and hopefully the season ticket holders that they're trying to improve even in the face of the devastating injury to Alex Smith (and perpetuating the lie that he'll play again in 2020 or beyond).

In case it wasn't obvious, I think it's #4.

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Its possible he wanted a place to compete for a starting job (which we will likely give him) and thought a lot of his chances could dry up after FA and the draft.  

I doubt he would have had that much input into where he was traded. If he cared, he would have preferred to have been cut so he could go where he wanted. The upside is that he still gets $18M (now $18.5M) this year, split between the two teams. Well, $7.5M guaranteed, with a decent chance to make $18.5M.