Post Keenum Mock Draft

taylor made

So it looks like we are rolling with Case Keenum and this is Gruden's last stand. I get the idea of wanting to draft a stud pass rusher and there might be one available but you have to help your offense at a position of great need at WR if they are similarly graded prospects. They are gonna go down swinging so I don't think you can throw Case Keenum in there without any weapons.

1st Round, 15th Overall N'Keal Harry, WR Arizona State University

r506740_2_608x342_16-9.jpg

Harry would step in almost immediately as our WR1 which the team has needed ever since the departure of Pierre Garcon. Harry reminds me of Garcon a little in that he is big, strong and can run after the catch. He would be a good fit in our WCO and we need an outside WR desperately. Everyone is talking about DK Metcalf's combine but Harry proved to be just as good of an athlete. The team has had trouble developing 1st round WR draft picks but I think Harry's game is already there. Harry brings a swag about his game that this offense desperately needs. He has STAR written all over him.

2nd Round, Pick #46, Michael Jordan - Left Guard, the Ohio State

michael-jordan-3df4378244c981ab.jpg

There's a lack of elite left guard prospects in the draft so we might have to settle on a quality one. I think Michael Jordan fits the team good and he's a big guy with well above average athleticism. His athleticism isn't elite but I think he'd be kind of a solid boring guard. But that is exactly what this team needs. I looked at Conor McGovern and Chris Lindstrom but I feel like they are more experienced playing on the right side of the line. Jordan has versatility at center as well.

3rd Round, 76th overall draft pick. Mecole Hardman, WR Georgia

fnv5l1h3s0gvidroomwv

This might seem like overkill but this draft class is loaded at WR and we could get really good value here in the third round. It looks like the team is letting Jamison Crowder go as he has mostly been a disappointment with either poor play or injuries. The team could really use a guy who brings some speed to the table and it doesn't seem like Paul Richardson is really the guy either. Mecole runs a legit 4.3 and can run after the catch. The duo of N'Keal Harry/Mecole Hardman would bring a former weak spot into a position with youthful potential.

Round 3, Pick #96 Alize Mack, Tight End Notre Dame

DWWFT3AER5F6DI2XRZPAORP32Y.jpg

Those are the number of games Jordan Reed has started and it is not like Reed is totally awful but he unreliable and it looks like injuries have finally caught up to him as I believe he has taken a step back or two. Alize Mack I think could fill in as the #2 Tight end immediately and has the skill-set to a TE1 down the road when Reed inevitably plays more a second fiddle or goes to another team.

Round 5, Pick 153, Iman Marshall, CB USC

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVHmsRtAEcxBOy8NuXIK4

Marshall proved to a combine freak and I think he's just the BPA. RIght now, I don't know if he'll stay in the R5-R6 range but he could be a potential steal. He would challenge the young guys almost immediately at CB.

Ending thoughts:

I know I went overkill with the first four picks all being on offense but let's face it our offense absolutely blows and needs as many weapons as possible. No one on our team is a threat on offense and Josh Doctson/Paul Richardson/Jamison Crowder don't scare anybody. They all need to be eventually replaced. N'Keal should be available at #15 and if anyone has seen Harry in an interview the guy is very charismatic. He's like the anti-Josh Doctson type personality.

The reason I went with all four draft picks on offense is if looking down the road we do decide to draft our quarterback of the future in 2020, he would already be surrounded by weapons and a good offensive line. I'd added two instant starters at WR and LG and added depth at two other positions on offense. We are most likely getting rid of either Josh Doctson or Paul Richardson next year so it makes sense to add depth there as well.

Rough Depth Chart

Offense:

QB: Case Keenum/Colt Mccoy

RB: Adrian Peterson/Derrius Guice/Chris Thompson

WR1: N'Keal Harry WR2: Josh Doctson WR3: Paul Richardson WR4: Mecole Hardman WR5: Trey Quinn WR6: Cam Sims

TE: Jordan Reed/Alize Mack/Jeremy Sprinkle

LT: Trent Williams/Geron Christian

LG: Michael Jordan

Center: Chase Roullier

RG: Brandon Scherff

RT: Morgan Moses

Defense:

CB1: Josh Norman CB2: Fabian Moreau CB3: Quinton Dunbar CB4: Danny Johnson CB5: Greg Stroman CB6: Iman Marshall

OLB: Ryan Kerrigan/Ryan Anderson

ILB: Reuben Foster/Zach Brown/Shaun Dion Hamilton

SS: Deshazor Everett

FS: Montae Nicholson/Troy Apke

DL: Jonathan Allen/Da'Ron Payne/Iodannis/Tim Settle

Keenum is insurance and leverage in trade deals.  I still expect the Redskins to be in negotiations for Josh Rosen, but they can point to Keenum and say "we're good for a year" if the price tag gets too high.  I would also expect they are still interested in any number of first round QBs, but they now don't have to pick one, or be caught in a trade scenario where they get ripped off.  They can always "wait until next year" at this point.  Let's face it, Keenum is no better than Bortles or Tannehill, and they will still look to do something with a younger draft choice at the position if the price is right.  

Also, as a Georgia fan, I love Mecole Hardman, but this guy is a converted cornerback and is still VERY, VERY raw as a receiver.  We got him loose on a few designed plays, but we are a run-heavy offense and his production against legit SEC defenses left a lot to be desired.  As a third rounder, I don't think we can go with a project guy, and I say that as a huge fan of Hardman.  Jordan is also a good fit for this offense, as they like that left guard to be more of a pull-blocker instead of a bowling ball.  

Got to be honest, if this happened, there's a non trivial chance of tables being flipped, chairs being thrown, and remotes being destroyed after being flung at walls.

Given the needs on defensive side and how in particular the first round looks to be shaping up, not a fan of going WR at 15 and certainly not again at 76. I get that Reed is made of glass, but to then grab a TE at 96? Me no likey.

Only thing I'm on board with is Jordan in the 2nd.

On 3/8/2019 at 5:08 PM, Woz said:

Given the needs on defensive side

We absolutely do have defensive side needs but we have drafted defense with our last two first round draft picks and invested in the 2nd-3rd rounds too. What promising young (25 and below) talent do we have on offense? An oft injured Derrius Guice, Geron Christian, Chase Roullier, Trey Quinn and that's about it. Compared to defense we have young talent in Da'Ron Payne, Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis , Reuben Foster, Fabian Moreau, Ryan Anderson, Montae Nicholson, Troy Apke, Tim Settle, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Greg Stroman. Now you can argue certainly argue how good some of that talent is on defense but I think since the team is so desperate they have to see how some of their draft picks turn out. I.e. Ryan Anderson. Our offense was ranked 28th last year and our defense was at least respectable at 17th. So when I make a run at at QB in 2020 I would at least want to surround him some more talent and we have to do that sooner than later. You can argue that WR is our number one need and that a WR/OG is our most likely draft scenario as well.

4 hours ago, taylor made said:

We absolutely do have defensive side needs but we have drafted defense with our last two first round draft picks and invested in the 2nd-3rd rounds too.

Sort of.

I have to head out right now. I will hopefully address this point later tonight or tomorrow.

I don't really care which side of the ball we address more, but for everyone saying that we don't have enough talent on the offensive side of the ball or that the young talent hasn't shown to be consistent, you could easily argue the same for a lot of the young talent on the defense.

We need to just take the best available players in positions we need. I mean I could easily argue that any WR we draft early won't start bc we have Doctson and PRich just as I could that an CB we draft won't start, any ILB we draft early may not start if Ruben Foster is reinstated and SDH takes another step in his development and is our Mike or that any safety we draft early won't start over Apke, Everett or Nicholson (if he gets his head on straight).

Thepositions I think will definitely start day 1 if we draft it in round 1 or 2 is a LG or a ROLB (if PSmith is gone).

If we're looking for a day 1 starter then I think the player should be TJ Hockenson. If he is available we should really think hard about it. An inline tight end can do wonders especially one that can block and catch. Plus players from Iowa seem to be pretty damn tough.

It would be cool to get Hockenson, Hakeem Butler, Dru Samania and Will Grier in the first 3 rounds.

22 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

If we're looking for a day 1 starter then I think the player should be TJ Hockenson. If he is available we should really think hard about it. An inline tight end can do wonders especially one that can block and catch. Plus players from Iowa seem to be pretty damn tough.

It would be cool to get Hockenson, Hakeem Butler, Dru Samania and Will Grier in the first 3 rounds.

Would be a part-time starter I guess. Reed is our starting TE, but if we start 2 TEs over coming out in 3 WR sets, yes, Hockenson would be a starter.

I still have a hard time justifying taking Hockenson over numerous defenders that I like more or say Drew Lock if he falls to us at 15 and we don't trade for Rosen.

I see Hockenson as a late first talent while there are several defenders, QBs and WRs who are late top 10 to teens prospects who should be available for us. Players I’d take over Hockenson at 15 if available:

1. Dez White

2. Greedy Williams

3. Dwayne Haskins

4. Quinnen Williams (drafting him, Rashan Garry or Wilkins means we don't have to re-sign Ioannidis on a big contract)

5. Drew Lock

6. Montez Sweat

7. Clelin Ferrell

8. Jonah Williams (play him at LG)

9. Garrett Bradbury

10. Jachai Polite

11. Byron Murphy

12. Deionte Thompson

13. Devin Bush

14. Mack Wilson

15. Amani Oruwariye

53 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

Hakeem Butler is definitely flying under the radar. We'd probably have to take him with our 2nd round pick as  someone will probably gamble on him after his insane combine. He's a little more boom/bust than N'Keal Harry. I like Hockenson as well. But will he even be there at our pick #15?

I dont know if Hockenson will be there or not. Sorry Turtle but Reed is a part time player. An inline tight end would not only help our passing game but also our running game. Reed is a clear liability in the run game. My opinion here but in no way is Hockenson a late round pick.

I’d pass on Hakeem Butler until the 3rd, but at that point maybe you have to roll the dice. 

I actually like him a lot more than I did prior to the combine, strangely enough because he measured a little shorter than expected — 6’6 is just too tall to play WR effectively in the NFL. There’s basically been one successful WR that was 6’6 or taller (Harold Carmichael, of course) in league history. And that was 40+ years ago now. 

He’s a little bit more than just a jump ball guy because of his ability after the catch, which is the only reason I have any interest in him at all. Maybe he could become Vincent Jackson with that physical profile. But for the most part, I don’t have much interest in guys who are just big and can’t create separation.

What scares me is that he chose to do all the drills at the combine EXCEPT the agility drills. That tells me he knows how he would have performed in those drills — and it wasn’t good. The giant WRs who have turned out to be good NFL players all had at least decent showings in the 3-cone and short shuttle, guys like VJax, Brandon Marshall, Mike Evans, etc. To me, he had a chance to prove he can be a reliable every down receiver, and not just a one-trick pony, and he passed on it. 

2 hours ago, Bo Duke said:

I dont know if Hockenson will be there or not. Sorry Turtle but Reed is a part time player. An inline tight end would not only help our passing game but also our running game. Reed is a clear liability in the run game. My opinion here but in no way is Hockenson a late round pick.

You might could actually get more out of Reed if they used him like Davis and made Hockenson the top TE. Hockenson becomes a decour/threat/blocking TE while Reed is your 3rd WR/TE. 

7 hours ago, Woz said:
12 hours ago, taylor made said:

We absolutely do have defensive side needs but we have drafted defense with our last two first round draft picks and invested in the 2nd-3rd rounds too.

Sort of.

I have to head out right now. I will hopefully address this point later tonight or tomorrow.

Okay, now that I'm off my phone and back on my computer, time to pick up where I left off:

Let us consider the Allen/Gruden years (2014-2018). You are correct in saying that Washington used their last two first round picks on defense, but to be more accurate, they used their last two first round picks on the defensive line  (*1). Granted that was absolutely necessary given that they had completely ignored the position for years (*2), but it was only one of the three position groups.

For instance, since they spent a first on Ryan Kerrigan in 2011, they haven't really had to think about that side of the field because Kerrigan locked the position down. The problem has been the ROLB, where they have tried repeatedly to find someone (three 2nd round picks in four years). None of them took, and it looks like they'll back to the drawing board yet again in 2019. Mayb

Inside linebacker is a sadder state of affairs from a draft perspective: just four guys (*3) in the past five years, and none before the fifth round. They've gotten by with free agents, but it seems that might be coming to a close in a year or so, if not sooner. (*4)

Secondary is even an bigger issue. Of the three positional groups on defense, Washington has spent the most draft picks in the secondary (11 picks since 2014) ... for arguably the least return (only guys drafted in the last two years are still on the roster). They've tried to paper over the holes with free agents, to middling-at-best success.

So, while they've spent on the defense, they haven't gotten much for it. Yes, this then begs why should they spend on defense early? The offense is not going to be good and not even drafting three skill position players is going to change that (*5). However, it's possible (with sensible drafting (*6)) that an ROLB in 1, G in 2, and maybe a CB/ILB in three could lift the franchise in the medium term time frame. No, Washington shouldn't reach for those positions; if there's no one worth drafting at those positions in those rounds, then by all means look to the offense. I just think they need to consider a longer time horizon. Besides, if they don't go for Rosen, they're going to be looking for a QB next year (along with potentially a head coach). Grabbing players now might not fit the offense next year.

(*1) Along with two other fifth round picks (2016 Matt Ioannidis, 2018 Tim Settle) in the past three years.
(*2) Before Ioannidis was drafted in 2016 the last defensive lineman drafted were in 2011: Jarvis Jenkins and Chris Neild.
(*3) Even though he was drafted as a DB, I'm counting Harvey-Clemons as an inside linebacker.
(*4) I'm a bit surprised neither Zach Brown nor Mason Foster were part of the cuts on Friday.
(*5) WRs take the longest to develop ... if at all (*sighs at Doctson *)
(*6) Yes, I know ...

Archived