Antonio Brown to the Raiders for a 3rd and 5th

Steelers22

also seen some people say fans are being "pro" owners. I don't think thats the case. the most hated guy in Pittsburgh besides AB right now is bob nutting.. a owner. why is he so hated? he won't put money into the team .. u know.. by giving more money to the players... MLB and NFL have different rules, and fans will favor the ways that will help the team win. I've yet to see any of these national pundits put DeMaurice Smith and the NFL union on blast for agreeing to this "unjust" landscape

6 minutes ago, August4th said:

also seen some people say fans are being "pro" owners. I don't think thats the case. the most hated guy in Pittsburgh besides AB right now is bob nutting.. a owner. why is he so hated? he won't put money into the team .. u know.. by giving more money to the players... MLB and NFL have different rules, and fans will favor the ways that will help the team win. I've yet to see any of these national pundits put DeMaurice Smith and the NFL union on blast for agreeing to this "unjust" landscape

If anything, what AB did just makes it more difficult for players to get fully guaranteed contracts, which hurts the players in general. A contract with less guarantees allows for less of a penalty to the team when a player decides they are going the tantrum route out of town. If you make the contracts guaranteed, there is not much to stop a player like AB from doing this basically every year. Sign 3-5 year guaranteed deal, play a year, complain that you aren't getting paid enough (surprise, your salary is 0 because you took the "lump sum"), cause enough problems until either your team gives more money or until they trade you to a team that will, sign new guaranteed contract, etc.

• Like 1

I am just glad this is over with. It was not going to end well either way.  Very hurt as this was probably my favorite Steeler prior to this year and all of the embarrassing drama. The team will have some short term pain in getting less than they wanted in draft picks, but long term term gain in getting rid of a player who created pure hell and embarrassment for this team. Now we see why the team did not want to guarantee a lot of money with Bell.  I wonder what happened to the humble hard working kid from 2011 who raised his game and got better every year since? Arguably the second best 6th round pick in modern draft history to Tom Brady.

Brown's situation is extremely disappointing because the team invested so much in him financially and other.  When he acted up or had problems, they backed him.  It is shameful how he treated Coach T and Mr. Rooney.  My respect level would still be there had AB conducted himself as a professional and with respect. I feel the same way about Deebo.  You have a veteran who fell asleep in meetings. He's another guy who is a fringe HOF type player and former NFL DPOY!

A guy with HOF stats and a HOF wok ethic, but a disrespectful, selfish, childish and egotistical demeanor.  He may have won the battle today, but let's see what he does on the field and in the locker room when adversity hits.  I will be very surprised if he makes it three years in Oakland/Vegas. Large salary, large ego, diva like attitude does not endear others.

This team has been lacking true team Captains/leaders.  We once laughed at the Browns and Bengals for acquiring trouble makers and we never realized that we had our own.  As much as Steeler Nation dislikes Pac Man and Vontez, I don't recall ever hearing them disrespect/bad mouth the owner or HC. We are at the lowest point since prior to Chuck Noll's arrival more than 50 years ago. The good news is we have no where to go, but up.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Steelers22 said:

In the Raiders defense, there was no way to know he'd go off the rails this quickly.  I've never seen somebody deteriorate quite like AB has these past 6-8 months

The thing is, Mayock and Gruden do not lack intelligence.

I almost certainly guarantee that they viewed this as a situation where emotions got heavy and out of control and said player simply needed a fresh start and was extremely talented and could be an asset to their team.

They didnt get what they invested in and that's not a bad GM decision, that's a result of a selfish player.

I’ve just enjoyed the “ah it will all blow over” or “it’s just the media blowing it out of proportion”. 

Nope. It’s just AB. It doesn’t go away, you just move onto the next thing. 

He was an egotistical cry baby who did whatever he wanted and got rewarded for his behavior. The worst thing the raiders did was give him that money. That just solidified that he is the king, and what he says goes. Good on them for pushing back. Let’s see if Drew can dig AB out of this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I’m just in awe that it sounds like via Twitter this crap went on his entire Steelers career and Tomlin/Colbert had enough control of the situation that very little of this got out. 

After all of the people coming out saying that Tomlin failed because he couldn't control guys like Brown and Bell, I think a lot of people should be eating crow right now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

After all of the people coming out saying that Tomlin failed because he couldn't control guys like Brown and Bell, I think a lot of people should be eating crow right now.

Problem is:

a lot of people are saying that AB is like this only because Tomlin didn’t call him out publicly. 

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

Raider fan here who wanted to come in and complement how well Tomlin handled it all. He gets a lot of flack in the media but kept most of this under control seeing how quick this went South. AB is hurting the other players because I’d prefer a strike for a few years than guaranteed contracts. Cousins had me worried that a precedent was being set but AB just ended that talk for good. I hope we suspend and cut him if it means no dead cap. It not only teaches a lesson to AB but also to my Raiders who said culture change and brought in some screwballs. Burfict and Incognito will be model citizens after AB drama...I’m cool with losing a 3/5 if Gruden gets his EGO checked for it. Got 9 years so hopefully he learns from it. EGO is a hellofadrug 

Edited by G