2019 Raider Depth Chart Thread

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Totty said:

From what I was reading, the punting situation is in competition ATM.  Townsend and I can't remember the other guy are squaring off and have both been decent.

Hmm,  I think Jerry McDonald tweeted that it didnt look to hot.. something along the lines of..
"lets just say, the raiders wont have any problems with out punting the coverage"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I'm surprised no-one has really mentioned the punting situation at all, obviously not a glamour position but it can make a really big difference to field position and momentum in a game. Kind of like good coaching, you don't realise or appreciate what they're doing until they're gone!

There must be a few guys out there that can at least be decent and beat out Townsend and not even affect the cap...........

There is going have to be a good punter or two that will be waived at the end of preseason if Townsend stinks it up. Pats drafted a punter this year, and there old starter Ryan Allen isn't bad. Anger would have been a nice pickup but Falcons signed him

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I'm surprised no-one has really mentioned the punting situation at all, obviously not a glamour position but it can make a really big difference to field position and momentum in a game. Kind of like good coaching, you don't realise or appreciate what they're doing until they're gone!

There must be a few guys out there that can at least be decent and beat out Townsend and not even affect the cap...........

There have been reports that AJ Cole has looked really good in TC and that Townsend has had more air under his punts as well. If our punting situation doesn't work out this year we should draft Branden Mann next year, A&M boy that could be Lechler 2.0. 

We may also be able to find someone late preseason/early season like we did with Carlson last year.

what you guys think about our offensive line depth--------- we already have 2 guys out(Richie, Good)

Starters are locked in and a talented unit

Kolton- Cooper - Hudson- Gabe- Brown'

--------------------------------

Depth is Meh

6) Devey- solid rotation player for an offensive powerhouse in KC. Can slide in Center or Guard

7) B Parker- was raw in 2018,  didn't have the best rookie year, and likely to be a  swing tackle. He needs to improve in 2019

8 & 9) ??????

-----------------------

Hopefully the UDFA can prove themselves? We don't even know if they are NFL Players: Cotton, Roemer, McNeil, James

------------------------

Is there any hope left for Kirkland and Sharpe? Both men have been on the team for a few years and massive: D Kirkland for a Guard (6-5 335) and Sharpe for a Tackle (6-6 345). Could either man or both step up and fill out our depth in 2019? You never hear the coaches mention these two, and they were Reggie guys. Both men could go a long way to a deep OL or a thin unit. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

15 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Hmm,  I think Jerry McDonald tweeted that it didnt look to hot.. something along the lines of..
"lets just say, the raiders wont have any problems with out punting the coverage"

He did. Was hoping the AJ guy would be a good pickup but it doesn't sound like it yet. I'm not advocating for a top 5 punter but can we at least find someone serviceable? I'm almost desperate enough to see King come back.

• Like 1

Advanced issues found

2. First-round pick Clelin Ferrell has had some good battles with left tackle Kolton Miller.

Miller has won the most of them, which he should at this point. He was a first-round pick in 2018 with a year of experience going up against the rookie Ferrell. 

Derek Carr paid Ferrell a compliment the other day, saying how Ferrell was one of the first players out on the practice field every day and how great his effort is. I tuned him out. When it comes to the No. 4 overall pick in the draft, I am not trying to hear about effort. I need to see the quick-twitch, the burst, the obvious impact potential. 

The Raiders need Ferrell and rookie Maxx Crosby to give the pass rush a boost. Now. So watching Ferrell battle Miller the next two weeks will be a good indicator. 

“Kolton is going to be a really, really good player,” Ferrell said on Monday, “and not even just him, but going against that offensive line. That’s the biggest o-line in football, period. … Going against somebody like Kolton every day is only going to make me better. It’s exciting. Y’all seen us after practice, we are just talking it up, trying to learn things about each other, so I can’t wait to just continue that and it’s only going to make me better.”

tenor.gif

In all seriousness: I really hope they don't, in fact, suck. I feel like 'having good battles' implies similar talent levels. Which.....might not be a good thing. Have to wait and see.

12 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

what you guys think about our offensive line depth--------- we already have 2 guys out(Richie, Good)

Starters are locked in and a talented unit

Kolton- Cooper - Hudson- Gabe- Brown'

--------------------------------

Depth is Meh

Richie is only going to be out for two weeks, lol. I actually like our depth on OL, it's hard to find quality backups when a lot of teams don't even have quality starters at every position. Once Richie comes back we'll have: 

• Johnathan Cooper - Started every game that he has played over the last two seasons. 

• Brandon Parker - Started 12 games for us last season.

• Jordan Devey - Solid backup.

And then we can carry one of the UDFA + hopefully Good can return at some point this season as well. Parker should be a decent swing tackle assuming he has improved from last season and Cooper is a really good backup interior OL.

I like Oline depth and injuries allow IR stashing. It's the coaching that worries me.

Tackles:

Brown was good for SF but GREAT for Pats and not expected to start at LT. Wynn was drafted and injured so when Brown got the opportunity to shine he did.

Miller started last season and struggled playing through an injury. Gained weight and experience as should be an average LT this season and improving.

Parker got 12 starts last season and was a project. Also gained weight and experience and can sub at either tackle. As a back up I feel better than what we've had starting in the past.

Sharpe is a big man who's started but can also play Guard in a pinch. I don't expect him to make the team unless someone is IR'd

Guards:

Richie is a head case that is probably going to work out well for us. He'll stay clean and put some nasty into the line. Might get flagged but not for holding. LOL

Jackson is always on the verge of the next level (Pro Bowl) I wanted him back at LG but coaches make those calls and see the big picture. Brown at RT and Gabe at RG makes sense.

Good had some good games for us and I was comfortable with him starting before Richie was brought in.

Cooper can also play center and hasn't lived up to 1st round status but is solid when in but is injured often. A great fill in til Richie is off suspension if Good is hurt.

Center:

Hudson is THE MAN....enough said

Devey will need someone above him to IR to make the team I think. All the above except Sharpe will probably make the 53 and have more experience starting.

Cotton I'm hoping shows enough but not too much and gets stashed on the PS. However if 9 are kept and it's close between Cotton and a vet like Devey I'm going youth/price.

So maybe Parker is our weakest back up but may have improved and will keep improving with experience. Our Guards are solid and Cooper, Devey, Cotton can back up all three interior positions, so I think Oline depth is very good. If we suck it's the coaching 100% and heads should roll during the season if as bad as last season. 

On 03/08/2019 at 5:14 PM, G said:

I like Oline depth and injuries allow IR stashing. It's the coaching that worries me.

Tackles:

Brown was good for SF but GREAT for Pats and not expected to start at LT. Wynn was drafted and injured so when Brown got the opportunity to shine he did.

Miller started last season and struggled playing through an injury. Gained weight and experience as should be an average LT this season and improving.

Parker got 12 starts last season and was a project. Also gained weight and experience and can sub at either tackle. As a back up I feel better than what we've had starting in the past.

Sharpe is a big man who's started but can also play Guard in a pinch. I don't expect him to make the team unless someone is IR'd

Guards:

Richie is a head case that is probably going to work out well for us. He'll stay clean and put some nasty into the line. Might get flagged but not for holding. LOL

Jackson is always on the verge of the next level (Pro Bowl) I wanted him back at LG but coaches make those calls and see the big picture. Brown at RT and Gabe at RG makes sense.

Good had some good games for us and I was comfortable with him starting before Richie was brought in.

Cooper can also play center and hasn't lived up to 1st round status but is solid when in but is injured often. A great fill in til Richie is off suspension if Good is hurt.

Center:

Hudson is THE MAN....enough said

Devey will need someone above him to IR to make the team I think. All the above except Sharpe will probably make the 53 and have more experience starting.

Cotton I'm hoping shows enough but not too much and gets stashed on the PS. However if 9 are kept and it's close between Cotton and a vet like Devey I'm going youth/price.

So maybe Parker is our weakest back up but may have improved and will keep improving with experience. Our Guards are solid and Cooper, Devey, Cotton can back up all three interior positions, so I think Oline depth is very good. If we suck it's the coaching 100% and heads should roll during the season if as bad as last season. 

Nice post and I agree for the most part, interior between Ingocnito, Hudson, Jackson plus Good, Cooper and Devey we are very solid, experienced and deep. At tackle not so much, Miller is still a question mark though he may well have improved and of course Brown can play RT and LT. I think we only carry a maximum of 9 OL and I think we'd like to have a pair of back up tackles so likely one of Good, Cooper and Devey will probably fall victim to the numbers game. I can see us bringing in another experienced OT once guys start getting cut as none of the interior guys really has experience playing OT. 

On 8/5/2019 at 4:55 AM, Darbsk said:

Nice post and I agree for the most part, interior between Ingocnito, Hudson, Jackson plus Good, Cooper and Devey we are very solid, experienced and deep. At tackle not so much, Miller is still a question mark though he may well have improved and of course Brown can play RT and LT. I think we only carry a maximum of 9 OL and I think we'd like to have a pair of back up tackles so likely one of Good, Cooper and Devey will probably fall victim to the numbers game. I can see us bringing in another experienced OT once guys start getting cut as none of the interior guys really has experience playing OT. 

If I had to guess I'd assume it ends up like: 

Starters

LT - Kolton Miller

LG - Richie Incognito 

C - Rodney Hudson

RG - Gabe Jackson

RT - Trent Brown

Backups

G/T - Denzelle Good

ST - Brandon Parker

G/C - Jonathan Cooper

G/C - Jordan Devey 

You want versatile OL behind your starters. Good can play either guard spot or OT if needed, Parker can play either OT spot (but probably strictly a RT with Brown here), Cooper can play either guard spot or center, and Devey can play either guard spot or C. Devey has played in 39 games (17 starts), Good has played in 30 games (23 starts), Parker has played in 15 games (12 starts), and Cooper has played in 46 games (31 starts).