Browns trade Kevin Zeitler for Olivier Vernon

ReggieCamp

Not gonna pretend I watched all of Vernon's games, but he did look pretty good to me the few times I saw him.

From PFF:

Many Giants fans believe that Olivier Vernon struggled somewhat in 2018, but in fact, his PFF grade of 86.3 was the best mark on the team’s defense, and his win percentage of 18.2% tied for ninth in the league among edge rushers. Given he was the team’s lone threat for most of the year, that’s impressive work, and the best season he’s had as a Giant.

Just now, buno67 said:

I like it. The hole for Zeit leaving is already filled. Now we have a legit starting DE across from Garrett. Vernon should look a lot better with our DL than he did the past two years

1522616543943.gif

Just kidding, I agree.

Not a fan. Whether Zeitler is overrated a bit or not, he’s a good starter. Is Corbett better than Zeitler? If so, great trade, I have to see it. We’ve weakened the depth of our OL while getting a 29 year-old DE who is likely to play out the last two years of his contract and be gone. 

Dorsey likes these Friday deals apparently. Wonder if there’s more to come. I can’t shake the thought he made this move to force us to play the guy he took at 33. Guess I’ll have to let it play out, but if anything I think this creates a need more than it fills one. 

Having no dead cap makes it better, along with moving up 30 or so spots with the draft picks swap. I just feel like we could have gotten better value.

I'm not worried about Corbett though. I thought he looked fine starting during preseason (and I know it's just preseason) and now he's got a year under his belt. Along with one of the best OL coaches in the league helping him out.

Apparently, we're getting a 4th back

I wasn't in love with the Dends high in this draft honestly I kept trying to find a guy I liked outside of Bosa and Allen and I hadn't really found anybody

with us getting a pick back I'm more content. Corbett better be good though because I really did like Zeitler 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Meh, trading one good player for another.

Zeitler is better at G than Vernon is at DE imo, but DE is a more impactful position.

If there are no picks involved I like this deal.

We swapped picks in the fourth round I believe.

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

Not a fan. Whether Zeitler is overrated a bit or not, he’s a good starter. Is Corbett better than Zeitler? If so, great trade, I have to see it. We’ve weakened the depth of our OL while getting a 29 year-old DE who is likely to play out the last two years of his contract and be gone. 

Dorsey likes these Friday deals apparently. Wonder if there’s more to come. I can’t shake the thought he made this move to force us to play the guy he took at 33. Guess I’ll have to let it play out, but if anything I think this creates a need more than it fills one. 

That very well could be the case - getting rid of Zeitler to play the guy he drafted. Sounds similar to what he did in cutting Nassib since he drafted Chad Thomas. Difference is, I have a lot more faith in Corbett than I ever did in Chad Thomas.

Archived