Browns trade Kevin Zeitler for Olivier Vernon

ReggieCamp

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is where I’m at.

I think a day 2 tackle and a day 3 interior OL is plenty tbh. Double dip in rounds 3-5.

It allows us to draft guys who have the talent to develop while allowing us to use our higher picks on other positions.

I wouldn't be against going with a day 2 Guard/Center (3rd round)

Serves multiple purposes.  It allows us to back up (3) positions (LG, C, RG) this year, and gives us flexability if we decide not to re-sign Tretter next year.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He was like an unskilled fighter who just swings wildly hoping to land a big punch, all the while allowing his more skilled opponents to eat him up.

It’s like he never understood that most knockouts don’t come from the hardest punches, but the ones that catch the opponent at the right place and the right time.

Looks good occasionally also. 

Can work if you have sanu, jones, aj green.

5 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I wouldn't be against going with a day 2 Guard/Center (3rd round)

Serves multiple purposes.  It allows us to back up (3) positions (LG, C, RG) this year, and gives us flexability if we decide not to re-sign Tretter next year.

Yeah that’s fine too.

idgaf who we draft if they’re good, but I don’t know about spending top 50 picks every year on developmental interior OL.

The more I think about it, the more I'm okay with the trade. Or, maybe I've just talked myself into liking it more.

Losing Zeitler is a tad disappointing, but he was overpaid and it helps our cap situation by cutting ties with him. Now this is obviously speculation on my part, but I'm guessing the coaches have faith that Corbett can at least be a competent starter, otherwise I'm a bit doubtful that Dorsey would have pulled the trigger. But who knows? Assuming Corbett is the real deal, then our offensive line won't be much worse off while also clearing away a big contract. Then we acquired a DE that was desperately needed, who has proven to be above average/good. Expecting to see the Vernon from his Miami days is probably wishful thinking, but I don't think it's crazy to think he'll be better for us than he was with the Giants,  considering he was clearly their best pass rushing threat so opposing offenses could focus in on him. In Cleveland, Garrett will get the bulk of the attention, which should free things up for Vernon. No doubt that he's overpaid, but since the Browns won't have any dead money (I think that's the case?) they can cut him in a year or two if he doesn't work out. The free agent market for edge rushers was thin since most of the top-quality ones were slapped with the franchise tag, so Vernon was probably our best option besides maybe Justin Houston. You could argue that Dee Ford would have been a better option as well, but I'm a bit skeptical about giving him a long-term deal when he's really only had one year of great production. We'll still likely draft a DE early and maybe even another one later on in the draft, but acquiring Vernon gives us more flexibility in the draft to go BPA. At this point, unless we sign Malik Jackson, then it looks like DT should be the target at #17.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is that how that works? 😂 

I should hope so. Also I'm not really a sack stat guy, I like passes defensed from my edge rushers and Ogbah had more last year than Garrett and Vernon have had combined in their 130 career games (8 to 6).

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

I should hope so. Also I'm not really a sack stat guy, I like passes defensed from my edge rushers and Ogbah had more last year than Garrett and Vernon have had combined in their 130 career games (8 to 6).

I can also see you’re a cherry picking stats kinda guy too.  😂 

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Ball cant be batted if it never leaves the QB's hands.... 

13 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Was the OL a complete disaster 2 years ago because of injuries to the OL or because it was a Hue and Kizer offense?

we literally saw an OL that was well below avg be thrusted into too5 area after Freddie and Baker became a match made in heaven 

I think it can be a little of both but I don't want to rely on just because we have Baker/Kitchens that it gives you a get out of jail free card for poor or injured offensive line play.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think it can be a little of both but I don't want to rely on just because we have Baker/Kitchens that it gives you a get out of jail free card for poor or injured offensive line play.

Now your acting like we traded away our RG to replace him with a 7th rd draft pick. We made the trade that opens a spot for a 2nd rd pick of a player. 

I’m just saying Zeitler didn’t look special last 2 years or early on in the season. There were a lot of rumblings about JTC and Zeit after about 3weeks on here. They soften once baker took over and were completely gone once Freddie was hitting his stride. 

33 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

We loose Colin's and gain Vernon. 

Collins was probably more talented, but not as sound fundamentally. 

Vernon plays the run and pass well. 

We improve in the type of guy we want.

Two different kinds of players. Backer vs DE here. We still need to replace Collins. 

Archived