Browns trade Kevin Zeitler for Olivier Vernon

ReggieCamp

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I wouldn’t mind keeping him and making him a depth player. 

We need a good backup DE to rotate in with Garrett and Vernon, and in case one of them gets hurt.

Ogbah is cheap, there is very little reason to get rid of him unless the compensation is good...

Couple of thoughts.

Vernon rushed almost exclusively against left tackles. Does he increase sacks rushing against inferior right tackles. He was easily NYG's best rusher last year and still produced....

Malik Jackson is being cut by Jags today. Don't be shocked if he's signed on a short 2-3 year deal to be our 3tech, and mentor our drafted DT.

Fully expect Duke or Ogbah to go next. Too much smoke out there, especially with Duke. There was with Zeitler, and we saw how that ended. I don’t like it but don’t anticipate Duke being here. If we do get another mid round pick though, I’d like to see us do some strategic shuffling up in the draft on days 1 and 2.

21 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Looks to me like his cap hit will be 15.5 for 2019 and 2020. As far as I know the Giants aren't taking on any salary, they are just on the books for the 8 million in signing bonus over the next 2 years.

I think this is correct.  Hes got 4 million of his prorated bonus each year for the next two years so I think we only need to pay him his base salary of 15.5 each year.

16 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

$8 mil of his salary this year, and $4 mil next year as the Giants can spread over 2 years.

Vernon was statistically overall rated #3 out of 74 in the NFL as a Rush OLB last year. 

I don't think its 8 million this year and 4 million next year.  I think the Giants pay (2) years of 4 million, totaling 8 this year, then he is off the books.

He will cost us 15.5 for (2) years then will be off the books when we need to pay Garrett...

I like the move!  Now if we draft developmental DE's we can replace him in a few years...

As far as Zeitler goes, I'm not as sure.  I believe we have 7.2 million in dead money this year and are saving just about 5 to let him go.  Similarly the Giants will be on the hook for his salary which is 10 million, 10 million, and 12 million over the next 3 seasons.

He will be off our books after this year.

Not a bad use of our roll over money...

When I was reading his contract...it stated it was fully guaranteed after 5 days in 2018 season. So breaking it down and the dead cap, I believed it to be the total $12 mil in the contract. So I just learned the true contract guarantee aspect. Thanks CBrownsman.

I agree.....I love the move. 

2 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

As far as Zeitler goes, I'm not as sure.  I believe we have 7.2 million in dead money this year and are saving just about 5 to let him go.  Similarly the Giants will be on the hook for his salary which is 10 million, 10 million, and 12 million over the next 3 seasons.

He will be off our books after this year.

Not a bad use of our roll over money...

Going with the same concepts that you brought to light....it stated he only had $3.5 mil of guaranteed money left on his contract in total.

4 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

Going with the same concepts that you brought to light....it stated he only had $3.5 mil of guaranteed money left on his contract in total.

The guaranteed (3.5) goes with the contract.The 7.2 we owe is in bonuses. We save 4.2 this year on his cap hit.

When he goes off for 9+ sacks off the edge you guys aren't gonna care. I started with 9 cause I think Garrett is gonna explode this year. But if Vernon only goes for like 3 and gets hurt you're gonna throw it in my face but either way I love the move. Now kick Ogbah to the inside where he belongs and let's roll.

If Corbett is an average level NFL OG, then this trade will be good for us. We will get an overpaid but definitely above average DE opposite a young/dynamic Pro Bowler in Garrett. I'd look for Vernon's production to increase. 

17 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Fully expect Duke or Ogbah to go next. Too much smoke out there, especially with Duke. There was with Zeitler, and we saw how that ended. I don’t like it but don’t anticipate Duke being here. If we do get another mid round pick though, I’d like to see us do some strategic shuffling up in the draft on days 1 and 2.

The fact that there's smoke has me thinking that neither of these will happen. Dorsey moves come out of nowhere.

20 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Couple of thoughts.

Vernon rushed almost exclusively against left tackles. Does he increase sacks rushing against inferior right tackles. He was easily NYG's best rusher last year and still produced....

Malik Jackson is being cut by Jags today. Don't be shocked if he's signed on a short 2-3 year deal to be our 3tech, and mentor our drafted DT.

That would be huge to add those two kinds of talents before the draft. Totally opens up the 1st rd

Archived