Browns trade Kevin Zeitler for Olivier Vernon

ReggieCamp

5 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I predict elgton Jenkins in round 2 and a redshirt season before we cut Tretter for 2020. 

I like Erik McCoy much better. Haven't watched Garrett Bradberry but they way people talk about him he is a sure fire super stud. I didn't see an IOL worth a Top 50 pick when I watched Jenkins I saw a 3rd round talent while Erik McCoy looked the part.

3 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I like Erik McCoy much better. Haven't watched Garrett Bradberry but they way people talk about him he is a sure fire super stud. I didn't see an IOL worth a Top 50 pick when I watched Jenkins I saw a 3rd round talent while Erik McCoy looked the part.

I was amazed how well he moved for a linemen. During the drills at the combine it all looked effortless to him

11 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

McCoy is a great player but more suited for a ZBS. I’d be happy with bradberry or Jenkins. Jenkins is a mauler.

22 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

Bradberry looked awesome and he's so angry playing Center

I don't think Bradberry makes it to our second pick.  Would you select (who you deem to be the best center in the draft) at pick #17?  Would you select him over the DT & DE candidates at that position?  What are your thoughts on Tretter? 

Another great quote from PFF:

For the Browns, this was a no-brainer. Emmanuel Ogbah racked up a measly 31 pressures across from Myles Garrett last season – 15 of which were either unblocked or deemed a cleanup. On the other hand, Vernon had 46 on 82 fewer pass-rushing snaps.

It comes with very little cost to the Browns with 2018 second round pick Austin Corbett waiting in the wings. It’s great to have a competent backup, but any difference between Corbett and Kevin Zeitler at guard is likely nowhere near the difference between Ogbah and Vernon.

40 minutes ago, buno67 said:

guys, is this good?

I've watched every snap of Vernon since he's been here on the Giants. I will say outright that this really isn't an accurate grade for Vernon. It is skewed by his late season surge and 2+ sack games against bad Bears tackles and backup Cowboys OL in week 17 vs relatively low snap count due to injury. He hasn't really been close to the level of dominance he showed down the stretch his last year in Miami, and that was all without Cam Wake and against really good tackles.

The biggest issue with Vernon lately has been his availability. He was an ironman before getting to New York, then hasn't played a complete season in 2 years. However, when he does play, he is a very good 4-3 DE. The 3-4 edge linebacker role does not suit him, although he does find a lot of success varying up his stance between 2 and 3 points. At this point, he is probably better against the run than he is rushing the passer. When we had both JPP and Vernon, nobody was able to find any success on outside runs. Those 2 set the edge extremely well. Vernon gets to the QB with effort and power, but he has trouble finishing, ala Brandon Graham. He will record a lot of pressures, but not many sacks. It shows up in his stat sheet when he looks to have had a good game, then has 2 tackles and .5 a sack, for instance. And I'll reiterate this again, he had the best stretch of his career without Cam Wake playing in Miami. Of course a great edge guy on the other end helps though- it always does, in terms of making the defense better overall.

He's a very good player, but don't be fooled by those PFF stats from last year. They are very misleading. Overall his impact on the team was low. He missed a lot of games and showed up big time in a few others, but was relatively absent in the rest. Part of that can definitely be attributed to the low talent level of the surrounding defense and him playing out of position.

This means we are not tied to anything in the draft either. We dont absolutely have to draft a dt or de. 

It is awesome that we are freeing up cash to sign our own guys. This is the first time we have seen a front office build for the future in this sense, keeping the boys together long term. 

This also gives us game day flexibility. We can always have a stud pass rusher on the field. Garrett can be off the field and we sti have a great player coming after the qb.

Also on 3rd down

Vernon

Larry

Myles 

Avery

That is a strong group of 4 going after the qb.

Archived