Jaguars cut Malik Jackson, Tashaun Gipson, Carlos Hyde (The cuts keep coming)

.Buzz

20 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

Man I hope these new guys are good enough to man the free safety position. I still have ptsd from the years prior to Tashaun solidifying our deep middle...

Yeah.  The rest of these cuts were pretty obvious if they couldn't hook a trade for a late pick or something.  Basically just procedural footnotes.

Cutting Gipson though, i really don't like.  He's been a bit of the glue in a really good secondary here.  We've seen too much of how bad Safety play can absolutely unravel a defense when people start doing stupid things trying to compensate for not trusting that back end.

Like, sure...we save a bit of money, but it creates another big hole that we now have to try to patch up.  Either that, or we roll in with Wilson as the starting FS and hope the whole thing doesn't fall apart.  Which is...ughhh...unnecessarily risky imo.  Kinda what i was worried about when we saw the extension for Wilson though, at a pretty substantial dollar value.  Hoped it wasn't this, but this staff have a habit of really telegraphing stuff like this.

Did we really not have enough room cleared by the rest of these obvious cuts, and eventually getting rid of Bortles?  How much cap do we really need to have?

5 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

I guess they see how bad the Offense has been and need all the funds necessary to throw money at he problem. We all know how that usually works out though...

I mean, most of these guys should've been let go. Only one that I'm iffy on is the Gip one.

Think this goes towards Foles and a WR/TE and opens up funds for Yan/Jalen extensions.

15 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

could have seen tinker being cut after yesterdays resigning of overton. 

Doesn't really clear much of any space either way though.  Might just carry guys into camp and have an epic Longsnapper "camp battle" for all it really matters.  xD

We saw this coming last off season if you didn’t or you saw it and didn’t think it’s possible you see the end results. I expected it to be even more cuts but Dareus restructured. You can’t justify the play at those money figures and Harrison/Jarrod better be the answer but like I said I expect this defense to be respectable but if your shooting for top 5 I don’t expect maybe the bottom half of top 10.

2 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

We saw this coming last off season if you didn’t or you saw it and didn’t think it’s possible you see the end results. I expected it to be even more cuts but Dareus restructured. You can’t justify the play at those money figures and Harrison/Jarrod better be the answer but like I said I expect this defense to be respectable but if your shooting for top 5 I don’t expect maybe the bottom half of top 10.

Not sure they're expecting Wilson to be the answer...maybe a stop gap. I like him but not sure how I feel about him as a long term starter.

Harrison flashes big last year. Hard to know where his future lies this early but no reason to expect him not to entrench himself as our SS long term.

Archived