Jaguars cut Malik Jackson, Tashaun Gipson, Carlos Hyde (The cuts keep coming)

.Buzz

24 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Not sure they're expecting Wilson to be the answer...maybe a stop gap. I like him but not sure how I feel about him as a long term starter.

Harrison flashes big last year. Hard to know where his future lies this early but no reason to expect him not to entrench himself as our SS long term.

whos to say Cody Davis isnt their play at FS.  while he wasnt our 3rd safety hes more of a FS then wilson is and he flashed during OTA's last year. 

Just now, LinderFournette said:

whos to say Cody Davis isnt their play at FS. 

That would be quite depressing.

Good ST, solid depth, zero confidence in him starting/major role on defense.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

That would be quite depressing.

Good ST, solid depth, zero confidence in him starting/major role on defense.

i rather have davis who showed to be a relatively good cover guy(with the rams in 2017 PFF had him graded 14th in coverage) then having 2 box safeties  starting next to each other. 

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

whos to say Cody Davis isnt their play at FS.  while he wasnt our 3rd safety hes more of a FS then wilson is and he flashed during OTA's last year. 

Flashing during OTAs is so many worlds away from being any kind of reliable starting NFL Safety.  Sure...maybe he's fine.  But maybe he's also completely inadequate.

Like, we had the secondary as the strength of our team.  They just took the 3rd best piece out of that unit.  That's not just minor tinkering.  That's a huge gamble, whether it's Wilson or Davis stepping in.  Or even an outside FA, where you'll be spending a decent chunk of what you saved, on a piece that you're going in blind on whether they're going to gel quickly with the rest of your unit.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I know the FS position is perceived as lesser almost but I still dont buy that. They are the last line of defense...on defense and I hate getting weaker there

Honestly, i think a true rangy FS like Gipson is actually the more valuable spot.  Like you said...it's the "last line of defense".  Your last hope against those crippling big plays.  The cog that helps bring the whole secondary together.

After years of just absolutely dismal FS play, we finally find a guy who fit great and delivered good reliable play where you need it most...and we ditch him after a couple years for a "maybe" or "a guy who flashed in OTAs one time"?  Sure it's savings, but it's also high stakes because bad FS play in this system can absolutely decimate your defensive effectiveness.  Not worth it imo.

14 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

The safety market is deep. Should be interesting to see how things fall. It wouldn't surprise me to sign one (maybe even bring Gipson back) for cheaper than what Gipson was making before. Or maybe we go after Landon Collins. We'll see.

So you spend a big chunk of what you save on Gipson bringing in Collins to play basically box safety, move Ronnie to FS?  Hope it all somehow comes out not disastrous?

Why mess with chemistry that works like that?  Why get a guy that probably means you're moving your sophomore to a new position?

50 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

So you spend a big chunk of what you save on Gipson bringing in Collins to play basically box safety, move Ronnie to FS?  Hope it all somehow comes out not disastrous?

Why mess with chemistry that works like that?  Why get a guy that probably means you're moving your sophomore to a new position?

I mean, iirc, Wilson has played both safety spots. I wouldn't go after Collins, but it's an option.

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I mean, iirc, Wilson has played both safety spots. I wouldn't go after Collins, but it's an option.

It just seems like Gipson was probably the 2nd best FS option on the market, and better than anything we have internally.  Why even look at "options" if you're got a great one already?

I'd get it if he were older and showing signs of seriously slowing down like Church was...but that wasn't really the case.

12 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It just seems like Gipson was probably the 2nd best FS option on the market, and better than anything we have internally.  Why even look at "options" if you're got a great one already?

I'd get it if he were older and showing signs of seriously slowing down like Church was...but that wasn't really the case.

Because they probably feel they can get comparable or good enough safety play for a lot less money. Either from him if he comes back or someone else.

15 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Because they probably feel they can get comparable or good enough safety play for a lot less money. Either from him if he comes back or someone else.

I guess that is the theory.

Just doesn't seem like a great theory to me though.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Flashing during OTAs is so many worlds away from being any kind of reliable starting NFL Safety.  Sure...maybe he's fine.  But maybe he's also completely inadequate.

Like, we had the secondary as the strength of our team.  They just took the 3rd best piece out of that unit.  That's not just minor tinkering.  That's a huge gamble, whether it's Wilson or Davis stepping in.  Or even an outside FA, where you'll be spending a decent chunk of what you saved, on a piece that you're going in blind on whether they're going to gel quickly with the rest of your unit.

Honestly, i think a true rangy FS like Gipson is actually the more valuable spot.  Like you said...it's the "last line of defense".  Your last hope against those crippling big plays.  The cog that helps bring the whole secondary together.

After years of just absolutely dismal FS play, we finally find a guy who fit great and delivered good reliable play where you need it most...and we ditch him after a couple years for a "maybe" or "a guy who flashed in OTAs one time"?  Sure it's savings, but it's also high stakes because bad FS play in this system can absolutely decimate your defensive effectiveness.  Not worth it imo.

davis played well in coverage in 2017 as well

Just now, Tugboat said:

He did?

How many snaps did he even play?

pff had him graded at 14th best in coverage in 2017.  he played 280 snaps but suffered a thigh injury(that got him put on IR on november 3rd) and activated back to the roster onDecember 29.   based on his pro-day numbers(im sure hes gotten less athletic but has stayed reletively healhy but the dude was a 4.41 40 with a good 3 cone time(6.77) and vert(41.5 inch vert).  clearly he has some athleticism that translates to coverage ability

Honestly aside from Gip (who I thought would last another season before his decision comes), none of the others were a surprise.

Malik's days were numbered as soon as we took Bryan, even moreso when Bryan struggled at DE and flashed a 3T.

Hyde as soon as he was traded for and saw his base next year, you could tell he was a stop gap.

And while I would have kept Parnell for another year, I can understand this decision too for an older guy who has struggled to stay healthy. I don't think he'll be much of a savings as much as a replacement with a younger guy with hopefully more upside.

Gipson is the one that kind of concerns me a bit, but this FA crop is deep. It was so deep I kinda expected the Jags to talk to Gip about restructuring thinking he may not get what he's making now in the open market.

Archived