VK's Mock

VonKarman

First time I ever do a mock. So please, bash me all you can. Only way to learn.

Cut:

Tramon Williams (Save 4.75M)

Re-signed:

Bashaud Breeland 3Y/21M

Muhammad Wilkerson 2Y/7M

We keep Allison and the ERFA as well.

FA Signings

Earl Thomas 4Y/50M (11.5M cap hit)

Tre Boston 3Y/22M (6M cap hit)

TJ Lang 1Y/4.5M

Pettine loves playing dime and dollar sets. Gute decides to address our secondary via FA and finally have a top secondary. We also get to sign a G.

Draft

12 Clelin Ferrell ER. Burns and Sweat are gone. We get #6 ER off the board.

The draft advances and Gutey sees that in order to get another player he wants from his next tier he needs to climb up in the draft. He sends #30 and #114 for #27 to the Raiders

27 Jonathan Abram S. Yes, we already signed 2 safeties, but that is not enough for our terrible depth and we go and get another one.

44 Jachai Polite ER. He might be an idiot, but we still are short in Edge. He slips due to character issues and we get him in the 2nd round

75 Jace Sternberger TE. With only Graham and Tonyan we need to get our #3 TE. Sternberger should do it.

118 Tytus Howard OT. Adressing the edge so early doesn't allow us to get a guy like Lindstrom or Risner. Howard should do it.

150 Justice Hill RB. We need our 3rd RB.

185 Hunter Renfrow WR.

194 Garrett Brumfield IOL.

226 Cole Tracy K.

Justice probably doesnt last so long with the film plus the speed and jumps he just put down.. but being so small I guess there's a shot!

Earl and Tre are a little redundant. Tre is definitely better keeping everything in front of him while Earl's talents are wasted if you're not keeping him up high.

I'm not much a fan of bringing Lang back. Might as well just hand McCray a starting job.

The drafted players I'm cool with. I wouldnt be the most excited but I wouldnt be mad.

Don't know about signing two safeties and then burning draft capital to draft a back up.  Especially in this draft.

Let TJ retire.  Concussions are nothing to spend millions on.  He's not the player who went to Detroit seasons ago.

If you're not going to take Polite at #12 because of character issues, he's probably off your board altogether.

1 minute ago, gizmo2012 said:

3 safeties and very little help at WR makes the Packers closer to the bottom than the top of their Division. I liked some of it.

What?

Safety is much more of a need than WR. We have minimal need at WR. Mid round pick like he used is it. We have a massive black hole at S, thus the 3 new additions.

Not sure where you're coming from.

Yeah, might have overinvested in S, but is the position where we need to spend the most. There are much bigger holes than WR, which might be the position with most depth (Adams, Allison, ESB, MVS, Moore, Kumerow). Besides, Renfrow is a guy woth very good hands (and therefore a guy who can quickly earn Aaron's trust) that might be able to contribute a bit this coming season. Getting 3 safeties allows you to move Jones to nickel LB when needed.

37 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What?

Safety is much more of a need than WR. We have minimal need at WR. Mid round pick like he used is it. We have a massive black hole at S, thus the 3 new additions.

Right now, yes we need Safety help more.  If we sign 2 high end UFA's like Thomas and Boston we'll be substantially better off at Safety.  I'm not a huge Josh Jones fan but he's every bit the pro and prospect as any WR we've got on the team not named Adams.  You could argue that Brice has had brighter moments as a pro than guys like ESB and Kumerow.  

18 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Yeah, might have overinvested in S, but is the position where we need to spend the most. There are much bigger holes than WR, which might be the position with most depth (Adams, Allison, ESB, MVS, Moore, Kumerow). Besides, Renfrow is a guy woth very good hands (and therefore a guy who can quickly earn Aaron's trust) that might be able to contribute a bit this coming season. Getting 3 safeties allows you to move Jones to nickel LB when needed.

Just because you have bodies doesn't mean you have quality depth.  You listed 1 quality starting caliber WR there.  This offense had  a bunch of issues last year, and a lack of talent at WR was right up there near the top.  

8 minutes ago, SSG said:

Just because you have bodies doesn't mean you have quality depth.  You listed 1 quality starting caliber WR there.  This offense had  a bunch of issues last year, and a lack of talent at WR was right up there near the top.  

You strike me as the type of guy who always sees the glass half empty. You talk about these WR's as if you simply forget the good things they did do last year and this is while having a WR coach who was widely and on the record considered a fraud in that locker room. We're in a much better WR position than a good bit of other teams are. It's almost as if we don't have 2 1k receivers and 1 being held back by a mere lack of opportunities then we're not fine at WR. I'd obviously like to see another addition but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that the lack of talent at WR was near the top of our problems last year. The talent was obviously there. It was the lack of continuity and connection with the QB that was the problem. Not the talent.

8 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

You strike me as the type of guy who always sees the glass half empty. You talk about these WR's as if you simply forget the good things they did do last year and this is while having a WR coach who was widely and on the record considered a fraud in that locker room. We're in a much better WR position than a good bit of other teams are. It's almost as if we don't have 2 1k receivers and 1 being held back by a mere lack of opportunities then we're not fine at WR. I'd obviously like to see another addition but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that the lack of talent at WR was near the top of our problems last year. The talent was obviously there. It was the lack of continuity and connection with the QB that was the problem. Not the talent.

I'm definitely more of a pessimist.  I don't understand how anyone could have watched the drastic and immediate decline of our offense last year and come away thinking "the talent is CLEARLY there".  What good things am I forgetting about the WRs?  

I don't buy the "it's all the WR coach's fault".  I'm sure Rodgers was upset at the WR coach given the lack of effort and execution he was seeing from the rookie WRs.  Who's pretending?  In my eyes the DRASTIC decline in AR12  directly correlated with us have BY FAR the worst group of receivers Aaron Rodgers has ever had to work with as a pro.  In year's past, how many times have we needed 17 combined starts from 5th and 6th round rookies?  

I'm sure there are 3 or 4 teams in the league that don't have the WR talent we've got but there aren't a lot of DA17 caliber WRs out there.  

1 hour ago, SSG said:

That is kind of how I feel about our WR situation. Outside of Adams we have no other WR I trust to perform consistently. Graham had the 2nd highest receiving yards (636) last year and was still less than half of what Adams have. Who do we really trust to be our #2 WR punch?

Valdes-Scantling

St.Brown

Allisson

Cobb

I am sorry but I have little faith that any of these guys turn a corner. Cobb would have been that guy 2-3 years back but I don't have faith that any of these guys are even close to 1000 yard receivers. The hope is that Graham can have a better year even that is a longshot given his last 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, SSG said:

I'm definitely more of a pessimist.  I don't understand how anyone could have watched the drastic and immediate decline of our offense last year and come away thinking "the talent is CLEARLY there".  What good things am I forgetting about the WRs?  

I don't buy the "it's all the WR coach's fault".  I'm sure Rodgers was upset at the WR coach given the lack of effort and execution he was seeing from the rookie WRs.  Who's pretending?  In my eyes the DRASTIC decline in AR12  directly correlated with us have BY FAR the worst group of receivers Aaron Rodgers has ever had to work with as a pro.  In year's past, how many times have we needed 17 combined starts from 5th and 6th round rookies?  

I'm sure there are 3 or 4 teams in the league that don't have the WR talent we've got but there aren't a lot of DA17 caliber WRs out there.  

1. If you didn't see any flashes in our young wideouts last year then I don't even know why we're having this discussion, to begin with. It then becomes painfully obvious that you're only capable of seeing the negatives and lack the ability or the interest in seeing the good. 

2. No one stated it was all the WR's coach's fault. I don't think I've seen that stated yet. However, when you have 1st-year players coupled with a coach who clearly didn't have an understanding of our own playbook (As stated by players themselves) it adds a level of difficulty to their ability to be on the same page as Aaron Rodgers. That offense at the time required timing and connection with the quarterback. Something that painfully wasn't there last year. There were quite a few overthrows by Aaron Rodgers on a wide open MVS that if he had been AR of years past we'd all be ecstatic about MVS right now and this wouldn't even be a discussion.

16 hours ago, SSG said:

If we had all these young WRs and the coaching wasn't up to snuff then some of our offensive issues was the WR coach's fault.  These late round rookies needed more grooming than they apparently received.  I wouldn't mind it if we drafted someone at this position in a higher round than 6th yet again.

I hope Gute passes on Lang.  I think his best days are way behind him.  We can draft a guard in the later rounds instead.

21 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What?

We don't have a slot receiver, though. 

Archived