2017/18 Minor Transactions Thread

biggbrd

Hey guys, I recall having a thread for end of the roster/practice squad moves in the old forum, and considering how active Belichik often is, it's probably worth having one here too!

To christen this thread, we released TE Matt Lengel. Won a superbowl ring and caught a TD vs the Jets - typical Patriots career, really. 

We also released DE Caleb Kidder. He was an UDFA rookie originally signed by the Vikings. 

I really want to limit the amount of "mega" threads. We can keep this rolling though, but if it is anything that could garner a lot of further discussion, lets try and make a new thread. IE: Big name cuts, forum binkies making it like Carr/Langi/Hollister

That being said, I don't think that Lengel's release means better odds for O'Shaughnessy or Hollister at TE, it could just mean that they are comfortable with running with 2 TE's. At roster cut downs last year the Patriots kept 4 TE's with Gronk/Marty/Derby/Harbor but quickly traded Derby and cut Harbor and ran with 2 despite Gronk being slow to get going. 

Fair dibs, my bad! Is that in an effort to make a bit more traffic, or just to keep topics a little more separate? Just curious.

Interesting to see what does happen with the TE position. I would have thought we usually would run with 3 TEs most years, but could be wrong. I guess the question then becomes which of them makes it. I know there will be some people (ahem, wonder who...) who will be pulling pretty hard for Hollister, and he has apparently looked decent catching the ball.

3 hours ago, biggbrd said:

But why? Look at that hair! What a man.

(I have never heard of him in my life)

Cutting Ventrone was a weekly ritual in 2011. He was a cool guy, took it well. His brother now coaches for BB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Patriots have signed undrafted rookie WR Riley McCarron to their practice squad, according to a source. The 5-foot-9, 185-pound McCarron, who projects to the slot and also has experience as a punt returner and kickoff returner, was released from the Texans practice squad on Sept. 18. The Patriots play the Texans on Sunday.

Mike Reiss

Archived