Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
packfanfb

Packfanfb's "Pre-Free Agency Frenzy" Mock

Recommended Posts

Throwing out one more Mock Off-Season before the tampering period starts on Monday followed by the Frenzy on Wednesday. 

Packers at around $36 million (after Morrison cut)

Cuts

Tramon Williams - saves about $4.7m 

Nick Perry -- at this point, I'm hoping for a restructure, but at the last moment, Packers let him walk (June 1) -- saves about $10.7m (after June 1) 

Packers at about $40m after cutting Tramon

Retained

Breeland -- 3/21m (2019 cap hit $5m)

Jake Ryan -- 1/1.5m (2019 cap hit $1.5m) -- we bring back Ryan since we cut Morrison

RFAs and ERFAs (Brice not tendered; Allison gets original round tender -- $2m)

Packers at around $30m

Free Agency

Dee Ford (EDGE): TRADE -- Gute wants to make a "splash" move for a pass rusher and strikes a deal for Dee Ford.

gettyimages-1060288394.jpg?quality=85&st

Gute gives up pick 44 (2nd round) and gets Ford and pick 168 (5th round) in return. GB reaches new agreement with Ford for 4/60m (2019 cap hit $11m)

 

Tashaun Gipson (SAF): 3/17m (2019 cap hit: $4m) 

eupezqn18hsfhjf92oco

Like Tre Boston as an option here as well, but went with Gipson given his prior connection to Pettine. Gipson's production dipped a bit in 2018 (as did the rest of the Jax defense) but in 2017 he was very solid and was even better under Pettine as a ball-hawking FS with the Browns.

 

Adrian Phillips (SAF) -- 3/15m (2019 cap hit $4m)

la-1544546472-evebggbsdf-snap-image

Given the plentiful safety market, no reason for the Packers not to double down and add two starting safeties. Phillips is the yin to Gipson's yang, a defender who excels closer to the LOS. While Gipson patrols center-field, Phillips takes care of things underneath. 

 

Quinton Spain (OG) -- 3/11m (2019 cap hit $3m)

quintonspain.png?w=700

A popular choice here given his prior connection to LaFleur. A cheap upgrade at RG. 

 

Draft

Round 1, Pick 12 -- Brian Burns (EDGE)

8193484.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

Burns is there at 12 and it's a pretty easy decision for Gute to pull the trigger. 

 

Round 1, Pick 30 -- TRADE 

Guys like Hock and Fant are gone and there's no obvious pick at 30 that Gute relishes. BUF wants to move back up into the 1st for someone they covet and pays a premium, pick 40 (2nd round ) and pick 74 (3rd round) to get it. 

 

Round 2, Pick 40 -- Irv Smith (TE)

8806363.jpg

Packers miss out on the Iowa boys, but with Smith still there at pick 40, they pluck the athletic Bama TE and add a weapon to LaFleur's offense. 

 

Round 3, Pick 74 -- Renell Wren (DT/DE)

PV18069.jpg

Not sure Wren will last this long because he had a solid combine and probably will be climbing boards, but he's the pick at 74 if he's there. Packers forego resigning Wilkerson (at least pre-draft) and Wren is a cheaper replacement who gives you great length and size at the DE position. 

 

Round 3, Pick 75 -- Terry McLaurin (WR)

Terry-McLaurin-Ohio-State-Football-1125x

By trading for Ford, the Packers don't get the opportunity to get my guy Deebo, but they're able to land McLaurin in the 3rd. Versatile WR who showed his blazing speed at the combine. Can play the Z or slot position. 

 

Round 4, Pick 115 -- Maxx Crosby (EDGE)

MaxxCrosby_2017_easternmichigan_0.jpg?it

Crosby tore up the combine, scoring in the 90% percentile or higher in every speed/agility drill and has good size (6'5", 255). He didn't bench at the combine and strength may be an issue for now but the athletic traits are there. 

 

Round 4, Pick 119 -- Ryan Bates (OL)

usa_today_9718869.0.jpg

Sticking with Bates here in the 4th round. Performed well in the speed/agility drills at the combine and fits the profile (College tackle who can play tackle or guard in the NFL). Instantly provides depth at either position for us. 

 

Round 4, Pick 133 -- TRADE -- Gute spots a prospect he wants and strikes a deal with Cleveland to move back up into the 4th round in exchange for picks 151,186 and 196.

Kahale Warring (TE)

DkqQ-HwU0AM-oSC.jpg

Packers double dip at TE and go with Warring, a big target who showed out at the combine. 

 

Round 5, Pick 168 -- Karan Higdon (RB)

867540340.0.jpg?fit=696,464&ssl=1

Patient, compact runner who tested better than I thought he would at the combine (4.49). Adds depth to the position. 

 

Round 7, Pick 228 -- Will Harris (SAF)

boston-college-eagles-defensive-back-wil

Another standout from the combine who still figures to be a mid-late day 3 pick. Add him to the rebuilt safety room. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate the Ford trade. Tossing a premium pick and a huge contract at a guy who had a career year in his walk year. We're finally about out from under Perry, who pulled the same stunt. Rather not do that again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am okay with the trade for Dee Ford. People think last year was his only break out year but I’m 2016 he had 10 sacks and in 2017 got injured. With his coach from KC in GB I think it could be a good fit. Plus watch his highlights from last year, yes I know they are highlights but I came away impressed by his speed to power.

Only feedback for this mock is why cut Perry when you leave an extra $8 million? Use the 8 million and then the left over from Perry cut should be able to sign the draft picks. It’s a waste if we don’t use the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Nick Perry -- at this point, I'm hoping for a restructure, but at the last moment, Packers let him walk (June 1) -- saves about $10.7m (after June 1) 

Why would the Packers pay him the $5M March roster bonus and then cut him in June?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Why would the Packers pay him the $5M March roster bonus and then cut him in June?

They wont. They can cut him now but designate it for June 1. By doing that, we don't get any cap relief now but get over $10m after June 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

I am okay with the trade for Dee Ford. People think last year was his only break out year but I’m 2016 he had 10 sacks and in 2017 got injured. With his coach from KC in GB I think it could be a good fit. Plus watch his highlights from last year, yes I know they are highlights but I came away impressed by his speed to power.

Only feedback for this mock is why cut Perry when you leave an extra $8 million? Use the 8 million and then the left over from Perry cut should be able to sign the draft picks. It’s a waste if we don’t use the money.

We can always use the extra $10 mil or so we will get from Perry to fill out the roster in July/August. I'm sure we'll be be looking for some bargain additions to fill out the roster come camp time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

They wont. They can cut him now but designate it for June 1. By doing that, we don't get any cap relief now but get over $10m after June 1.

You're the 2nd poster to tell me that; hopefully I'll remember it this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2019 at 2:39 AM, smetana34 said:

Hate the Ford trade. Tossing a premium pick and a huge contract at a guy who had a career year in his walk year. We're finally about out from under Perry, who pulled the same stunt. Rather not do that again. 

Don't see the Perry comparison.  Ford had 10 sacks, 17 TFL and 17 QB hits in 2016 with just a 70% snap share.  He was hurt in 2017 and blew up in 2018. Perry had 12.5 sacks, 17 TFL and 13 QB hits in the 4 combined years before his big year.  Ford's a much better player than Perry ever was.

Edited by SSG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 1:39 AM, smetana34 said:

Hate the Ford trade. Tossing a premium pick and a huge contract at a guy who had a career year in his walk year. We're finally about out from under Perry, who pulled the same stunt. Rather not do that again. 

Not seeing this at all, seems like a rather lazy comparison.  In Ford's last 3 seasons, he's had 29 TFL and 25 sacks over 37 games.  Over the previous 3 seasons prior to Perry's extension, he's had 26 TFL and 17.5 sacks over 43 games.  If Ford had stayed healthy in 2017, I think most would be foaming at the mouth at getting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fan of waiting until the 4th to add OL, there should be some solid options in the 2nd and third.  If one of the top iol or swing tables are available at 30 if stay and make the pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not seeing this at all, seems like a rather lazy comparison.  In Ford's last 3 seasons, he's had 29 TFL and 25 sacks over 37 games.  Over the previous 3 seasons prior to Perry's extension, he's had 26 TFL and 17.5 sacks over 43 games.  If Ford had stayed healthy in 2017, I think most would be foaming at the mouth at getting him.

Is the minimal difference worth a 2nd and 16 million?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Is the minimal difference worth a 2nd and 16 million?

I'm struggling to understand your train of logic here.  Assuming Dee Ford signs that extension in the neighborhood of $16M/year, the difference between he and Nick Perry in AAV is $4.2M/year.  Is upgrading from Nick Perry to Dee Ford worth $4.2M AND a SRP?  That's up for you to decide.  I still have yet to see a high quality pass rusher hit FA.  They usually get franchise tagged well before they hit the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

 Is upgrading from Nick Perry to Dee Ford worth $4.2M AND a SRP?  That's up for you to decide. 

That's basically what I'm getting at. No, I don't it's worth it. Give me a player(s) with that 16 million and another with the 2nd rounder rather than allocating both resources into one player. If Nick Perry is healthy (and that's a big IF I admit) he has shown he can play very good ball. I'd rather add two players to the defense and bank on Perry being healthy. I think something like Thomas and Ferguson do more to help GB win in 2019 than just Ford does, and that's without considering anything Perry might add 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×