How would YOU address the safety position?

DaBoys

Safety   

19 members have voted

1. 1. What would YOU do at safety?

• I'd sign Landon Collins or ET to a $10-$15M deal. They are worth it, because they are game changers. Dallas fans have forgotten what it's like to have a great safety on the field. Some fans in their early 20s have never seen it. The money is intense, but the difference on defense will be as well.
    • I'd play the market, and sign a teir 2 guy like Amos, HaHa, or Honey badger. No reason to pay elite money to the top guys when you can get an almost as good safety for a bit cheaper. It's all about value.
    • I'd probably just sign a cheap vet like Gipson, or Vaccaro. These guys will cost beans and safety just isn't important enough to invest serious resources in.
    • I wouldn't sign anybody. Jeff Heath is just fine. You are talking about the 6th ranked defense in the league here. We don't NEED anything except help on offense. I may draft a developmental guy in the late rounds. Hell, we got Woods in the 6th.
    • I would sign a cheap vet, like Vaccaro and probably draft a safety with one of our first 4 picks. Then let them and Heath battle it out.
    • I wouldn't spend $15M on a HOF safety, and signing anybody like Vaccaro is just going to be a progress stopper. So I wouldn't sign a FA at all, but I would definitely draft a safety if it made sense. I would even do it with our first pick.

I'll be honest. I think an elite safety puts our defense on the next level. I know we need to sign our own, but if we were to splurge, the safety market is a great market to do it. Having ET as our field general in the back, or Landon Collins as our enforcer on the front would turn us into the 05 ravens.

Edit:

I would also take Amos as he is a teir1-B safety. If I were in charge, either ET, Collins, or Amos would be wearing a star next year.

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I'll be honest. I think an elite safety puts our defense on the next level. I know we need to sign our own, but if we were to splurge, the safety market is a great market to do it. Having ET as our field general in the back, or Landon Collins as our enforcer on the front would turn us into the 05 ravens.

I'm warming up to having Landon Collins on the team(a little). Having him on the field in the box would've made a big difference against the Rams. I want ET all day though.

4 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

I'm warming up to having Landon Collins on the team(a little). Having him on the field in the box would've made a big difference against the Rams. I want ET all day though.

If Dallas likes position flex Landon has it all day. He has led the Giants in tackles 3 years straight. Imagine him, Jaylon, and LVE FIGHTING each other for tackles... I don't see how a RB would survive. Get to leave Woods single high like we did all last year. Seemed to work just fine. Trust me, the difference between Collins and Heath would be monumental in the same defense as last year.

I've been on the ET Bus since last season. I'd have traded #50 in a heart beat. 

That said, with the market saturation, I'm a little more hesitant this time around. I really like X. Woods and what he can potentially grow into at FS. Don't get me wrong though, I'm perfectly ok with ET at FS and moving Woods to SS. 

I have some serious concerns about Landon Collins ability in coverage and this seems to be a big part of why he was released. With offenses becoming more and more spread out, I think the idea of bringing him in a LOS enforcer becomes a little more difficult. Especially to the tune of $13-15m/yr.  Which leads me to Adrian Amos. If Dallas really like Woods at FS, which I don't blame them, then sign me up for Amos all day. Solid in coverage and young. I think Richard could do wonders for him. 

For me it's ET and Amos over all the others by a long shot. Gun to my head, I'm leaving XW at FS and signing Amos to play SS. 

22 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I’m signing an elite guy and going for it. My window would be the next 3-5 years given our personnel and Jerry’s age. Get the best talent now and manipulate the cap later. But I would’ve gone about this offseason differently than they have entirely

How so? Seems like the off season hasn't really kicked off yet.

The one guy I don't really want anything to do with is Clinton-Dix. His pedigree coming out of school and from his first couple of seasons will presumably drive his market value way up relative to how he's actually played lately, which has been poor.

So given our interest in Sammy Watkins last year, that's probably who we're targeting.

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

The one guy I don't really want anything to do with is Clinton-Dix. His pedigree coming out of school and from his first couple of seasons will presumably drive his market value way up relative to how he's actually played lately, which has been poor.

So given our interest in Sammy Watkins last year, that's probably who we're targeting.

Still can't believe we offered $14M per to Sammy Watkins, after cutting Dez.

I'm hoping/wishing SL had something to do with that, and the current staff sees how dumb that was.

50 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Still can't believe we offered $14M per to Sammy Watkins, after cutting Dez.

I'm hoping/wishing SL had something to do with that, and the current staff sees how dumb that was.

Idk, man. Any time a team makes a curiously aggressive push for a free agent like Watkins, it can reasonably be inferred that said player's draft pedigree and how the team had him graded as a prospect played a large factor in the pursuit. Being a Top 5 pick goes a long way- frankly Sammy Watkins has nothing on Sammy Two Sleeves.

So assuming that's the case, our front office almost certainly led the endeavor.

4 hours ago, DaBoys said:

If you were Jerry, what would you do?

When-Someone-Skips-You-Line-Starbucks.gi

Depend entirely on what happens. Personally I wouldn't go above 12 for either Collins or ET. Also I am warming up to the idea of Thornhill being the pick if an elite DL talent is not there. Thornhill the more I watch him, reminds me of LVE as being an instant impact starter.

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

How so? Seems like the off season hasn't really kicked off yet.

I would’ve signed Lawrence before the franchise deadline and extended Amari to create extra cap space. Then I’d prioritize a safety and defensive lineman that can impact my defense at a relatively high level so I can go into the draft without having to rely on rookies for immediate impact production

Archived