How would YOU address the safety position?

DaBoys

Safety   

19 members have voted

1. 1. What would YOU do at safety?

• I'd sign Landon Collins or ET to a $10-$15M deal. They are worth it, because they are game changers. Dallas fans have forgotten what it's like to have a great safety on the field. Some fans in their early 20s have never seen it. The money is intense, but the difference on defense will be as well.
    • I'd play the market, and sign a teir 2 guy like Amos, HaHa, or Honey badger. No reason to pay elite money to the top guys when you can get an almost as good safety for a bit cheaper. It's all about value.
    • I'd probably just sign a cheap vet like Gipson, or Vaccaro. These guys will cost beans and safety just isn't important enough to invest serious resources in.
    • I wouldn't sign anybody. Jeff Heath is just fine. You are talking about the 6th ranked defense in the league here. We don't NEED anything except help on offense. I may draft a developmental guy in the late rounds. Hell, we got Woods in the 6th.
    • I would sign a cheap vet, like Vaccaro and probably draft a safety with one of our first 4 picks. Then let them and Heath battle it out.
    • I wouldn't spend $15M on a HOF safety, and signing anybody like Vaccaro is just going to be a progress stopper. So I wouldn't sign a FA at all, but I would definitely draft a safety if it made sense. I would even do it with our first pick.

13 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I'll be honest. I think an elite safety puts our defense on the next level.

I think most probably believe this to be the case......though, that assumes DLaw is part of the equation, which I'm not all that confident of tbh.

What price greatness?  Do you take the plunge in free agency and add the pieces that you believe will put you over the top, and in all probability cause some cap issues down the road, or do you stay the course as a good young club built primarily through the draft?  Neither  method guarantees a championship.   Personally, I want to win.  The window for winning in the grand scheme of things will be short.  Take the shot.  Add what/whom you need and go for it.

53 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I'll be honest, I really wasnt expecting everyone to be on board with a major signing. Seems like we all somewhat agree though. Let's see what this staff does. 

It seems like we’re either on one side or the other as an organization, right? Like 10 years ago it seemed like we spent money on huge FA deals left and right when we had no business doing so. And now that we have a window with a QB on a rookie deal and a defense that’s close to dominant, we won’t spend money to take the next step. At least, that’s what they’re telling us.

I feel like elite DT play and moderately improved S play would do more for this defense than the inverse. I'd take either, of course, but I'd rather have Suh on the contract the Rams gave him last year than Earl on a deal that pays him anywhere in the vicinity of $30M guaranteed

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

I think most probably believe this to be the case......though, that assumes DLaw is part of the equation, which I'm not all that confident of tbh.

I think they sign DLaw. This situation seems eerily familiar to the Dez situation several years back. Eventually Dez got a big deal, but it was a little hairy there for a bit. The Cowboys have to sign him. They have questions at DE and DT even with him on the roster.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

It seems like we’re either on one side or the other as an organization, right? Like 10 years ago it seemed like we spent money on huge FA deals left and right when we had no business doing so. And now that we have a window with a QB on a rookie deal and a defense that’s close to dominant, we won’t spend money to take the next step. At least, that’s what they’re telling us.

Yes, but to be fair this is the first year that we really get the benefit of designating virtually nothing in cap towards the QB position.the first 3 years of Daks contract we were paying Tony Romo. Obviously not $25M every year, but a lot more than we are this season. And last year we know they made a serious offer to Sammy Watkins. So I don't buy that they are as dormant as they lead on. I think they've been out bid by teams with more space and then said sour grapes. This year we have money but we also have home grown talent that needs retained. I'm excited to see what happens.

3 hours ago, quiller said:

Well Collins is out the conversation here and I would guess his contracted priced ET out of the running unless he wants to give us a discount I don’t see us paying 16 mil and ET signing for less

"The Cleveland Browns are 'feeling good about the chances' of landing free agent safety Earl Thomas according to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora.

The Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers have also been mentioned as potential suitors."

Archived