Antonio Brown traded to Oakland for a 3rd and 5th round pick

Cheesehead430

12 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

No Big ben calling him out in the media, which was the biggest problem he had with the steelers-_-

Ben does that with a lot of guys. Feel Tomlin has no control of his locker room at times. Gruden def won’t play that stuff here. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

The Steelers were foolish for structuring a contract with such a huge signing bonus to a guy who had a volatile personality. That opened the door for Brown to renegotiate his deal with another team to get guaranteed money.

Yes, this is the most important point. They knew they had problems with AB, and they hoped this short-term fix would solve the problem. Instead, it gave a very talented and selfish player all the power. Rosenhaus was more than happy to help AB orchestrate the whole thing.

Well, at the time that we signed him to the big extension he gave 0 public indication that he had such a volatile personality.  In fat when we signed him to that deal I bet a bunch of people that are making comments right now are the same people that called the extension a no brainer.

You can say what you want about Carr as a QB, but you're hard pressed to find a QB more supportive of his teammates off the field. He is the complete opposite of Roethlisberger who runs to his radio show or GM to complain about teammates. Carr geniuinely loves his teammates.

I trust him to keep the relationship with AB positive, for however long he is the QB (which, granted, may only be for 2019 if things go sour). This move is huge for Carr to get him a chance to get back on track with the best weapon he's ever had.

Confusing. I figured he'd end up going for a 3rd that could get bumped, but I really don't get why they did it now. They set that soft deadline to save themselves 2.5 mil, and they didn't get that done yesterday. Why panic and make this move the day after? Why on Earth wouldn't you hold him for better value? Why not wait for significant injury etc? Maybe even hope to repair the relationship in the meantime and not lose him at all?

What is Colbert doing?

5 hours ago, daineraider said:

I wouldn’t be very happy.  We have way too many holes to bring in two very highly paid skill players.  Brown we can do, but a combo of $16-18 mil for Brown+ $15ish for Bell would make it hard to add much else.  I’d rather Marshawn cape back for around $5mil and go after some defensive players in FA.  

Bring in Brown and sign a fa RT.

Then use our three 1st round picks and the 2nd round pick on defense.

It all depends on if we hit on tge picks, but in theory we should have instantly upgraded O and D

5 hours ago, ACO said:

On the flip said... they had a quality WR that is 6 years younger and a STUD defensive player. They gave them both up. They rather pay problematic AB instead of Mack? 

Well the Mack trade still sucks.

But i certainly prefer:

* AB on a 3 year 50 mil deal

* a 1st

Vs.

* Cooper on 13 mio in 19 and then 15+

* a 3rd and a 5th

Imo AB is a better WR, and a better fit for us (Coop wasnt working for us). 

5 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Confusing. I figured he'd end up going for a 3rd that could get bumped, but I really don't get why they did it now. They set that soft deadline to save themselves 2.5 mil, and they didn't get that done yesterday. Why panic and make this move the day after? Why on Earth wouldn't you hold him for better value? Why not wait for significant injury etc? Maybe even hope to repair the relationship in the meantime and not lose him at all?

What is Colbert doing?

There's a lot more to it.  Trust me I've wanted Colbert gone for a while now and this is icing on the cake for me, but:

Doing it now allows them to go into FA knowing what they have.  I said it elsewhere but if teams went into FA not knowing if they had Brown or not, there's a good chance that they sign a FA WR.  They might still be interested in Brown, but their desire to get him is likely down some.

For us we know if we get a player or picks back so we can account for what we need to do in FA.

We know can best adjust for the draft knowing what picks we have long out, rather than at the last minute and scrambling to figure out who's going to be there with those picks.

6 hours ago, typecast said:

I've seen 2 + 67 for 6 + OBJ suggested way too many times in the various 49er fan communities.

OBJ is 5 years younger. Amari Cooper and Brandon Cooks (twice) were traded for first round picks. Age matters. 

Furthermore, I don’t think the Giants need to trade up to get Haskins in this draft, so that would be a bad trade for the Giants

Archived