Antonio Brown traded to Oakland for a 3rd and 5th round pick

Cheesehead430

18 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He didn't get more money, they just moved his money to help their cap which gave him more in bonus. I've heard him talk, I will ignore what he says. He is a me player and a me person.

His contract just went from 38.925M to 50.125M with an additional 4M in escalators. No additional years. Just a renegotiated pay bump. Brown also gets some job security in that the Raiders guaranteed 30M of it.

Edited by typecast
Forgot 2019 roster bonus

31 minutes ago, typecast said:
35 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Even with having to give Brown more money on a new contract, they still came out on top.

But can't believe they have the money for Brown, yet not Mack...

Brown - 50M/3y, 30M gtd.

Mack - 141M/6y, 90M gtd.

You really can't believe it?

21 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Considering one of the rumors around Mack's trade was because of the Raiders lack of financial flexibility, yes, I'm surprised they can pay 16 mil per season for a 31 year old receiver instead of what was a 27 pass rusher in his prime roughly 23 mil.

Well, as pointed out it is a difference of 60 million guaranteed. Guaranteed money needs to go into an escrow account the day the contract is signed. Thats a 60 million dollar difference due at signing, which is obviously substantial. We are also a year removed from the Mack trade. Maybe Mark Davis realized how foolish it was to make personnel decisions based on financial inflexibility.

Its certainly possible that BOTH the raiders were forced to trade Mack because they didnt have 90 million dollars at the time, AND they do have 30 million dollars to pay Brown today. 

The Raiders are building a 1+ billion dollar stadium. They absolutely need to sell PSLs to that stadium in order to cover some of the exorbitant costs associated with moving. No one wants to pay big money to go watch a bad team play football. I think the Raiders have realized that they are under a lot of financial pressure to win some games this year. Losing a lot of games means the price of the PSLs will drop. 

Lets assume that Mark Davis didnt have 30 million to pay Antonio Brown today, do you honestly think that the private investors who gave him 750 MILLION to build a stadium were going to let 30 million stop them from getting Antonio Brown? Think about it. Vegas is swimming in money. I think that Davis made a purely financial decision last year, regrets it, and either got help or came up with some cash to ensure that it didnt happen twice. Better to spend a little extra to drum up some fan excitement so that you can sell PSLs at a higher rate

They needed a bonafide STAR to start marketing the Raiders as Vegas' team. 

This was a great trade for the Raiders. Trading Cooper for a first, then getting AB for the same amount of money while only giving up a 3rd and a 5th, was a great trade. Obviously wasnt planned this way but you have to get lucky sometimes. 

The steelers avoided the distraction and can finally move on. They will not regret this trade no matter what happens from here on out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, typecast said:

His contract just went from 36.425M to 50.125M with an additional 4M in escalators. No additional years. Just a renegotiated pay bump. Brown also gets some job security in that the Raiders guaranteed 30M of it.

I was referring to his restructure last year. Brown has already made $31 millions for his first year so he is well overpaid now averaging over 20 million per during his 4 year contract. For a 30+ year old receiver I think the Raiders made a mistake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

So don't show up for practice a few days, try fighting your starting QB, get some lawsuits against you for destruction of property and nearly seriously hurting a young child, potentially have an assault charge against a baby mama pressed against you. The path has been laid out by AB for future players, do what he did and teams will trade you. Great message.

So would you rather keep a malcontent and not get anything for him? Why would you wanna keep somebody that doesn’t wanna be there? I don’t understand this thought. It’s not a bad precedent. 

• Like 2

This thread...oof.

Steelers were stupid and set a dangerous precedent, they got screwed value wise but they didn't need another repeat of last year's drama. Though they are a much worse team without AB (cue steelers fans pointing out he's 31, a distraction and nothing without Ben) Their Superbowl window isn't closed but you really have to wonder how long it lasts given their one big hit on Ben away from it ending.

The Raiders are one of the more confusing teams financial wise, I get they didn't have 100+ Million to pay Cooper+Mack but where did Davis get 30+ million for Brown... I guess the vegas sharks wanted this to happen.

11 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

We traded a 3rd for Brytant. We traded a 3rd and 5th for Brown,

Goes to show how bad the initial trade was and how bad the recent one was!

better lucky than good.

Congrats to all raiders fans out there. With Cook and Brown plus a strong running game, your offense will score points. At the least it will be interesting and exciting

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Steelers were stupid and set a dangerous precedent, they got screwed value wise but they didn't need another repeat of last year's drama. Though they are a much worse team without AB (cue steelers fans pointing out he's 31, a distraction and nothing without Ben) Their Superbowl window isn't closed but you really have to wonder how long it lasts given their one big hit on Ben away from it ending.

The Steelers were foolish for structuring a contract with such a huge signing bonus to a guy who had a volatile personality. That opened the door for Brown to renegotiate his deal with another team to get guaranteed money. Had they structured things differently, Brown may have not gotten so much new money and this sort of thing wouldnt have happened again.

The steelers played this about has poorly as they possibly could have. what a joke. that team will never be great again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

better lucky than good.

Congrats to all raiders fans out there. With Cook and Brown plus a strong running game, your offense will score points. At the least it will be interesting and exciting

I don't know if Cook sticks around... though I obviously like him a lot.

I think we're going the vet route on O with a youth movement on defense.

If we can spend one of our 1sts or a 2nd on a young pass catcher, this offense will actually look pretty decent. We can open up quite a bit of cap space if we move an OL or so as well, if needed.

I'm excited to see how the FO tackles the offseason.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, N4L said:

The Steelers were foolish for structuring a contract with such a huge signing bonus to a guy who had a volatile personality. That opened the door for Brown to renegotiate his deal with another team to get guaranteed money. Had they structured things differently, Brown may have not gotten so much new money and this sort of thing wouldnt have happened again.

The steelers played this about has poorly as they possibly could have. what a joke. that team will never be great again. 

The money wouldn't have mattered if they didn't burn their bridge with Brown, no matter what happened behind the scenes the steelers let it get to this point and caved on it.

They have time emorium to be great again, probably not until after the Tomlin/Ben era wraps up though.

34 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

So would you rather keep a malcontent and not get anything for him? Why would you wanna keep somebody that doesn’t wanna be there? I don’t understand this thought. It’s not a bad precedent. 

Emotions get the better of people.

15 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't know if Cook sticks around... though I obviously like him a lot.

I think we're going the vet route on O with a youth movement on defense.

If we can spend one of our 1sts or a 2nd on a young pass catcher, this offense will actually look pretty decent. We can open up quite a bit of cap space if we move an OL or so as well, if needed.

I'm excited to see how the FO tackles the offseason.

Vet route on O? Sounds like Gruden. Dude has always had a fetish for old WRs.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Emotions get the better of people.

Vet route on O? Sounds like Gruden. Dude has always had a fetish for old WRs.

LOL. I think we'll get a nice young guy in there. This is a deep class. I wouldn't be surprised if we grab 2 when it's all said and done. 

Anyone see the danger of him blowing up again on a team that could go less than 100% next year? 

With a QB that has some question marks.. And a coach that seems to fancy the "my way or the highway" approach... 

How is this not way more dangerous than the situation he had with the Steelers? 

1 minute ago, kramxel said:

Anyone see the danger of him blowing up again on a team that could go less than 100% next year? 

With a QB that has some question marks.. And a coach that seems to fancy the "my way or the highway" approach... 

How is this not way more dangerous than the situation he had with the Steelers? 

No Big ben calling him out in the media, which was the biggest problem he had with the steelers-_-