Antonio Brown traded to Oakland for a 3rd and 5th round pick

Cheesehead430

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

He didn't want to go to Buffalo but is fine going to Oakland!? Allen is still a young QB who is improving, Carr is about maxed out and look how his connection with Cooper was... Plus he might not even be there. I see AB's production taking a sky dive.

Very interested to see the comp, anything short of a 1st and I will consider this a very good trade for Oakland. You upgrade at WR and get a 1st (Cooper trade)? 4d chess. 

edit: 3rd and a 5th I see, which is about what was being rumored he would cost. That is such a steal to me, one of the best WRs in the NFL for pennies.

He might not have wanted to go to Buffalo, and might not even care about going to Oakland, but maybe he's very interested in going to Vegas and being the face of the franchise. What is more ego-flattering than making it big in Vegas?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

doesnt try to call him out for anything, even if he deserves it.    

Do people really not understand why AB was (rightfully so) ticked off about this?

Name another QB in the league who calls out their teammates in the manner that Ben did.  Name another QB who says their WR ran the wrong route, even if they did.  I've seen receivers and tight ends make plenty of mistakes that screwed Newton and despite that, he's never once thrown them under the bus.  Because those are his coworkers.  Ben isn't AB's manager or boss.  He had no right to call him out publicly.  And this isn't just an NFL thing.  Where does anyone work where it is okay to publicly call out their coworker, especially when they aren't their superior?

Maybe AB deserved to be called out.  And I'm sure he would have been okay with that... in the film room.  In a team meeting.  Anywhere but a radio show.  AB 100% deserved to be ticked off about that.  That situation was far more reflective of Ben's leadership skills than regarding AB's mental.  You just don't call someone out like that. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

What is more ego-flattering than making it big in Vegas?

Spending and entire career with the team that drafted you and developed you into a HOFer... especislly when they are one of the more historied franchises in the NFL. Then retiring with the love and adoration of an entire city and being immortalized in their hearts while you kick back and wait for your gold jacket in relaxation and contentment.

But also being the face of the Vegas franchise too. But the first way would’ve come with a lot less drama IMO

Say the AB didn’t force a trade and the Steelers felt that ABs conduct and behaviour is too detrimental to the locker room and said we are going to trade him. None of y’all would even object to this. 

But they didn’t, instead it was Brown who took matters in his own hands and requested a trade. And forced their hand, yet Brown is the bad guy? Please. If you’re a football player I have no issue with using any leverage you have against the organisation.

most of y’all are labour, yet you always seem to side with management. Smh

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Fair value from Brown. No one wanted that headache in their locker room, and they you had to pay him top money and throw guaranteed cash for his age 31,32,33 seasons? Raiders didn't steal anything. There's a reason none of the stable front offices of the NFL wanted anything to do with this. Don't see the benefit for the Raiders, they aren't going anywhere, keep your money and picks and rebuild.

The Eagles front office was involved too.

We'll have to see the detailed contract breakdown but his guaranteed money is 10mil a year which means we can probably move on from him after year 2 with little impact on the cap.

We have Carr, a good QB making good money over the next 2-3 years. This isn't a true rebuild. It's a retool. It's about getting him the tools he needs to be successful. A big piece has been added. Of course there is risk but there is possible reward too.

46 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don’t think it’s a bad move, I just don’t think it makes a ton of sense in light of other moves. Obviously if they nail this draft those question I have will be nullified.

All these moves aren't made in a vacuum. The Mack situation happened while AB was still calling Ben his bff. Then we got a great offer for Cooper. THEN AB came available.

8 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

No state taxes next year for AB in Vegas. 

He kicked and scream and came out looking pretty. Big win for him.

Pretty sure they pay taxes in each state they play a game. So players pay 1/2 their state income tax for their home state and then 1/16 for each away game state.

14 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

All these moves aren't made in a vacuum. The Mack situation happened while AB was still calling Ben his bff. Then we got a great offer for Cooper. THEN AB came available.

Doesn’t really change anything IMO. I wasn’t under the impression the moves happened in a vacuum when I made the comment.

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Pretty sure they pay taxes in each state they play a game. So players pay 1/2 their state income tax for their home state and then 1/16 for each away game state.

Are you sure about this? It would be quite odd that they’re subjected to different tax rules than the rest of the country. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Are you sure about this? It would be quite odd that they’re subjected to different tax rules than the rest of the country. 

Pretty sure that he's accurate. Its called a "jock tax" (not the official name, but what it's referred to. Here's one article about it: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/04/18/income-taxes-for-pro-athletes-are-reminder-of-how-complicated-u-s-tax-code/#7ddd5fe411e8

Athletes file taxes not only in their home state but also in every state—and some cities—in which they play. Not every state uses the same calculation to determine what portion of an athlete’s income to tax, and some use different calculations based on the sport. For example, Pennsylvania taxes baseball, basketball and hockey players on the ratio games in the state over total games played, including pre- and postseason, but they tax football players based on days worked in the state over total days worked. Michigan uses the same method but excludes the preseason. 

It started in 91 between IL and CA, and now every state but three (and Washington DC) have it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Man that’s weird. 

It's brutal in some regards too, because it's not just the multi million dollar guys. I mean, what if you're in the MLS making 60K a year ? You have to file state taxes in 20 states or whatever and are subject to all their various withholdings and whatnot. 

54 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

What is more ego-flattering than making it big in Vegas?

In professional sports? Making it big in New York, LA, or with a historic and established franchise. 

A similar question:  what is a better place to live if you are rich and famous? Based upon where rich and famous people do choose to live: LA, NYC, or Miami. 

If the question was best place to go with your buddies, if you want to party on a bachelor weekend: then the answer would probably be Vegas, slightly ahead of New Orleans. A completely unrelated note, I personally never been to a bachelor party in New Orleans, but I’ve been to all of the other usual destinations (ie Nashville, Miami, New Orleans, etc), so that is purely based on reputation. 

17 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It’s not different than other professions though. I have a friend who is a consultant. She is based out of one city, but does projects all over the country for weeks at a time. She needs to file in every city and state where she has a project.