Official FIRE KEVIN COLBERT Thread

43M

Any rational arguments to fire Kevin Colbert? 

1) The Rooney's ****ed up. They underestimated Bell's desire to holdout and the size of the market. They are just writing blank checks. Which means the NFL must be making money hand over fist. 

2) AB - is a problem player. This is on Tomlin for not reeling in the player. Or disciplining the player. Mike Tomlin put himself [his job] before the team with a gesture like this. And it cost us AB.

3) Munchak - is a product of the above dysfunction and lack of production. He went to a team he felt with his tutelage would have a better chance to win

To me the blame is the Order of Power

1) Art Rooney II - he's cheap and he's dumb.

2) Mike Tomlin - he's really dumb

3) Kevin Colbert - not firing Mike Tomlin and stopping this mess, which started with Martavis Bryant. And a more nurturing environment isn't so much the word but the feeling, perhaps, unity, or a bond, on a great journey with an ending unplanned. 

Tomlin started it. Not disciplining players. Classic 180 of Cowher. Tomlin no discipline. And it's costing us. Then Rooney kicked it down the road with the Le'Veon Bell **** up and just pay him $80m or whatever he thinks he's worth. You can still cut him and move money around to your advantage. Then Colbert finished it. That AB deal. This is why we don't do trades because it's old fashioned and trade valuations is like a foreign language to these guys

That is all.

3 hours ago, Money said:

Any rational arguments to fire Kevin Colbert? 

1) The Rooney's ****ed up. They underestimated Bell's desire to holdout and the size of the market. They are just writing blank checks. Which means the NFL must be making money hand over fist. 

The **** are you talking about?   

They didnt want to pay him the money he wanted.     That's really nothing against anyone.   Bell OVERestimated his market.        The team, regardless of who made the decision, made the right call.

3 hours ago, Money said:

2) AB - is a problem player. This is on Tomlin for not reeling in the player. Or disciplining the player. Mike Tomlin put himself [his job] before the team with a gesture like this. And it cost us AB.

Yes, its Tomlin's fault AB turned into a complete idiot on and off the field.   He shouldve been mentoring him from a young age and giving him life lessons at every turn.

I swear you have absolutely no common sense.

3 hours ago, Money said:

3) Munchak - is a product of the above dysfunction and lack of production. He went to a team he felt with his tutelage would have a better chance to win

Once again, you are clueless.

Munch took the job in Denver mostly to be closer to his daughter.      He made that very clear.

3 hours ago, Money said:

To me the blame is the Order of Power

1) Art Rooney II - he's cheap and he's dumb.

2) Mike Tomlin - he's really dumb

You ask people to provide rational arguments for firing Colbert, then you come up with this?

Guess Im not shocked.

3 hours ago, Money said:

3) Kevin Colbert - not firing Mike Tomlin and stopping this mess, which started with Martavis Bryant. And a more nurturing environment isn't so much the word but the feeling, perhaps, unity, or a bond, on a great journey with an ending unplanned. 

Wow.

I seriously doubt firing Tomlin is even his call.   Its probably Rooney's.

There are numerous reasons I dont like Colbert anymore.   That has nothing to do with it.   Even if you dont like Tomlin, its Rooney's call to fire him.

3 hours ago, Money said:

Tomlin started it. Not disciplining players. Classic 180 of Cowher. Tomlin no discipline. And it's costing us. Then Rooney kicked it down the road with the Le'Veon Bell **** up and just pay him $80m or whatever he thinks he's worth. You can still cut him and move money around to your advantage. Then Colbert finished it. That AB deal. This is why we don't do trades because it's old fashioned and trade valuations is like a foreign language to these guys

That is all.

You have no idea what youre talking about.

Stop acting like you do.

That is all.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Kevin Colbert at home....

giphy.gif

steelers still have the bungles in the division, so colbert still has a ways to go before his team are the last place every season until he is finally fired.  

After missing the play-off's and all of the drama of the past few years, we knew it would get worst before it got better. We are unfortunately wallowing in the turd infested sewage of our blunders.  To be objective, handling the AB situation at the point that it was at, was not going to end well. We were way past the root cause of the situation.  We sometimes act like this is a perfect science and it is not.  You are dealing with people and unfortunately they sometimes change.  AB was on the verge of being one of my favorite Steelers ALL TIME.  In 2011, I saw a guy who I thought could be a good player for us. He far exceeded expectations and until a few years ago, did not remotely resemble anything close to what he is showing now. How do you make a 31 year-old millionaire tow the line? He checked out and did all that he could to push the buttons of the team.  He could have been a professional, kept his mouth shut and faded off graciously to the sunny skies of SF.  Instead he scared teams off, acted like a brat, and has his Chest puffed up because he feels like he did and got everything he wanted.  Will he want everything that he gets though?

I have lost respect for a few players that I loved based on how they chose to respond to situations that they did not like.  Deebo and AB took the low road, whereas Troy Polamalu has kept his opinions and heartache out of the media and has not trashed the owner, organization or disrespected the head coach. While this has happened on Art II, Colbert and Tomlin's watch, the great teams of the 70's had their share of muck ups too.  After probably/arguably the greatest draft class in the NFL with five HOF players and a free agent signing that should be as well (Donnie Shell), they laid a complete goose egg the next year, that began the downward spiral that led to the end of an era. This is also the same team/front office that passed on a backyard legend in Dan Marino to try to rebuild the team around another DT. I guess things happen.  Noll, BB, Lombardi, or even Knute Rockne couldn't control a dysfunctional, out of control, diva turned anti-team.  No one in their right mind would over-pay for AB.  As much as I hate the deal, after he nixed the Bills deal by threatening to retire if he was traded were he didn't want to go, the #1 draft choices or quality young players were off the table.

AB is gone. I hope one day he grows up.  He was a heck of a Steeler and I hope he eventually gets it.  As for Bell, the team did all they could to sign him.  He over-stated his value and regardless of what he or anyone else in his camp states, lost money, opportunity, reputation, etc.  Good riddance. This is why high character guys like Edmunds are being drafted ahead of more talented guys who could potentially become problems/cancers as we have had.  Let's not forget that Big Ben has not been a choir boy in all of this.  They have put up and endured a lot from him as well. 

Our standards are higher than other organizations. It is SB win or nothing. Still the second winning-est franchise since the Colbert and later Tomlin era began. I am not ready to write off the 2019 season before it begins. There is a LOT of off season and football left.  Am I disappointed, upset, pissed at the Steelers? Absolutely.  I am not going to become a fan of another team or quit watching football.  We had harder leaner times between 1980 - 2005. If Colbert and Tomlin do nothing to try to change the culture and improve the team, then by all means move on.  It is not going to be an easy overnight fix. Can they do it? I honestly don't know and I have lost some confidence, but I think they deserve a shot. If the team has the same issues from a team culture standpoint, then move on. The only team the Killer Bee's have killed has been themselves. The sky hasn't fallen just yet.

20 hours ago, warfelg said:

So based on this get rid of the draft?

No -- you do realize I am not even asking for reform of any kind, right? I just cant stand the fan opinion that is always driven to the side of the ownership with just asinine reasoning. My favorite of them being "the players make too much money" because my often used line now, we are fighting the millionaire to give more to the billionaire. 

Its just poorly thought out arguments. 

Justin Houston was a cap casualty. He was scheduled to make $15M, by the contract he signed. The large opinion, that its a business decision and a good move by the club. Had he held out or demanded a long term deal -- he would have been scrutinized because he signed a contract and should be held to that! Kinda backwards right? 

Teams cut players constantly because they are not living up to their "worth" of a contract (sometimes its not even that, maybe just an age they want to replace), but a player outplays his contract and then asks to revisit - that player should be ashamed of himself. He should be thankful for what he has...he makes enough!

Pat Mahomes is the 35th paid QB. League MVP as a second year player. He actually cant even have his contract revisited until AFTER this year. And even then, there is no power for him to get a contract without the team approaching him first. They could technically control him for 2 more years on his current deal, and thats before you even start thinking about the franchise tag. What do you think the feedback would be if he said he was going to hold out/play the limited amount of games until the team can revisit his contract? What do you think that feedback is if he broke his back and the team cut him so they weren't responsible for the rest of his contract just to save some bucks against the cap?

You even mentioned how a guy like LeVeon Bell should be conscious of the cap. Thats insane to think that he needs to lower his expectations because he got drafted to a team that toes that cap line annually and they just cant pay him anymore. So get rid of him. Trade him to someone who can or let him reach FA like he wanted.. Bell did his time, he got to FA, the Steelers chose not to look at extending his deal when the had the opportunity, then they not only eliminated his chance at the free market, but they did it a second time. Thats the choice I was talking about before. Bell outplayed his contract for 4 years and as soon as he wants to be rewarded for playing for peanuts against his production -- nah, we aren't going to let you do that. 

And if the response to these things is the CBA (which it usually is) then its because you don't understand how that process works. The players dont go in with a shopping list and come out whole. They have their list, the owners have theirs and then they smash their heads together for weeks until they realize they need to find middle ground until the next time because the money is too good to miss out on. That doesn't solve all these issues and it doesn't solve everyones issues. Ive mentioned before this franchise tag thing isnt going away and its going to continue to suck for the players. Anything the players get, they have to give in return. Its never going to be perfect. Just because things are bargained in the CBA doesnt mean the CBA is by right and just for all. 

The players drive the league. They make it popular. They bring people to the buildings. Fans buy their jerseys. They sell the TV contracts. They make the money, the owners take the money. Its not that there is anything wrong with that as a business but the perception to ALWAYS take the owners side is bats***t crazy and flawed. 

I do think players should honor contracts, because they agreed to them. - but I think thats a two way street and players getting cut and traded at any point of those contracts is the side that is never visited as being "wrong". I think the franchise tag is a rule thats perfectly fine to be used, but it does suck for the players in a sense of Free Market value vs long term returns. I understand players on good deals being valuable to the team, but I also get that hall of fame production at mid-level deals should be revisited. There is a middle ground to take -- but everyone runs to the owner side, because in their world its Employee vs. Employer, but in this one it SHOULDNT be viewed that way because one does a lot more for the other. 

Tyrell Williams went for 4/44

Big Ben extension and Burnett being cut shoulda been done already...$7-8 mill at least in savings against this years cap...plus Steelers are very good cap wise next year...no reason they coulda front loaded it to make him come here.

I know he isn’t a world beater...however him or John Brown is exactly what the Steelers needed.

To Hell with Chickillo...you signed one of those guys, you go into draft having 3 main needs...ILB/Edge/#2 TE...with that other pick, you could go luxury route or secure a guy you like in a trade up.

No testicular fortitude.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:52 PM, AlanFanecaFan said:

Tyrell Williams went for 4/44

Big Ben extension and Burnett being cut shoulda been done already...$7-8 mill at least in savings against this years cap...plus Steelers are very good cap wise next year...no reason they coulda front loaded it to make him come here.

I know he isn’t a world beater...however him or John Brown is exactly what the Steelers needed.

To Hell with Chickillo...you signed one of those guys, you go into draft having 3 main needs...ILB/Edge/#2 TE...with that other pick, you could go luxury route or secure a guy you like in a trade up.

No testicular fortitude.

Or common sense.   

I realize that players also have personal preferences beyond just money, and there are potentially a bunch of other teams going after these players, but pretty sure we werent even looking at him.

All I can say in regards to Burnett is that MAYBE he changed his tune and wants to come back, and the Steelers dont see much better options beyond the really expensive guys.

Archived