jetjuice 2019 Jets Mock Offseason

jetjuice

TOTAL CAP SPACE 2019 - $102,881,607 (49 players under contract)

CUTS

Spencer Long ($3 million saved)

Isaiah Crowell ($3 million saved)

Rashard Robinson ($2,025,980 saved)

RE-SIGININGS

***without fully crunching the numbers, I'm going to guesstimate that this takes up about $10 million total***

OT Ben Ijalana

S Rontez Miles

LB Jeremiah Attaochu

LB Brandon Copeland

WR Andre Roberts

DE Henry Anderson

K Jason Myers

CB Darryl Roberts

TRADES

Jets trade 2020 6th round pick to Browns for TE Darren Fells and 2020 7th round pick - where there's smoke, I think there's bound to be fire. Fells is actually a good player, he would fit the role for the blocking TE that Mac wants. He's averaging $3M a year for the next two years, a cost we can afford for a mere swap of the latest picks in next years draft. Also good starter insurance if Herndon goes down.

FREE AGENCY

Le'Veon Bell - 4 years, $64 million ($40 million guaranteed - $16 million AAV) - this makes Le'Veon Bell the highest-paid RB over Todd Gurley, and gets him more guaranteed money, so Le'Veon is happy and so are we as we welcome our new bell-cow to the fold. Other teams I see making a push are the Eagles, Bucs, Raiders, and Texans but we ultimately price them all out and get our guy. This off-season is going to be about fixing the run game to help the pass game. Get yourself a three-down workhorse which Gase prefers to a committee, beef up the o-line, and make it easy for Sam.

Rodger Saffold - 4 years, $52 million ($26 million guaranteed - $13 million AAV) - we get the best offensive lineman in free agency. With our options at edge thinning and the draft being loaded, we focus our attention to the offense, specifically the line and run game. Saffold is 30 but still very good and gives us a strong veteran presence upfront. If we are forced to roll with Harrison at C, having Saffold there will help tremendously. He loves the spotlight and he'll get plenty of chances to cash in on that in the New York market.

Matt Paradis - 3 years, $34 million ($17 million guaranteed - $11.33 million AAV) - Paradis is represented by die-hard Jet fan Gary Vee, but that's beside the point - this is a perfect match. Paradis fits our blocking scheme perfectly, has consistently been a force on the Broncos o-line grading out well every year, and fills a massive need for us. It's rumored that the Bills are very high on Paradis so not only do we fill a need here but we keep him out of the division by making him the highest-paid center in the league.

Preston Smith - 4 years, $44 million  ($20 million guaranteed - $11 million AAV) - Preston Smith winds up being our consolation prize after we miss out on the wave of elite pass rushers. Clowney, Clark, and Ford get the tag, I predict Flowers to sign with IND, Fowler stays in LA, Barr goes to DET, and then that leaves us with Smith. He's been rock solid for Washington but he's not a bonafide sack artist, however we need help across the board on defense and can't be overly choosy and risk missing out on an impact player. Smith at least shores up one starting spot, and we wouldn't be completely screwed if we had to roll with him and Jenkins, but I think we make another move.

Bryce Callahan - 3 years, $31 million ($15 million guaranteed - $10.5 million AAV) - we are rumored to have interest in Bryce Callahan and I'd have to imagine we are considering how unreliable Skrine has been, who is now gone as a FA, and Claiborne is no longer on the team. There is always a wild variance from year to year in slot CB performance but we take the chance with Callahan who is a gritty player and has constantly improved his game.

Cameron Wake - 2 years, $20 million ($8 million guaranteed - $10 million AAV) - with the market not playing out exactly how we want it, we settle for a known commodity in Wake who Gase is very familiar with from their time in Miami. Wake is still a serviceable pass rusher and would get to focus solely on rushing the passer here. Gives us a capable veteran presence and a strong rotation with him, Preston, and Jenkins, and won't break the bank like the rest of the candidates will. I just don't see how we get two "premier" edge rushers this off-season, but this will help the cause for sure.

Brock Osweiler - 3 years, $18 million (9 million guaranteed - $6 million AAV) - Brock and Gase are like two peas in a pod. We can do a lot worse for a back-up QB, personally I think the back-up QB needs to be like the second coach for the starter and who better than the guy who's most familiar with Gase's system. Don't love Brock as a person but if Sam got hurt, at least Brock has starter and playoff experience. I think Josh McCown retires, and Brock becomes a nicely paid back-up QB.

Donte Moncrief - 1 year, $5 million ($3.5 million guaranteed - $5 million AAV) - Moncrief is long on talent but was short on opportunity last year in Jacksonville. I won't hold last year against him because that whole offense was a mess. Moncrief has shown well with competent QB play and could be a steal on a prove-it deal. Mac always makes a shrewd signing or two like this every offseason so I'll pick Moncrief as that guy. Can play outside too which helps us keep Q in the slot.

***TOTAL CAP SPACE HEADING INTO 2019 NFL DRAFT - ~$24,677,587***

DRAFT

Round 1

1. Arizona: Kyler Murray (QB/Oklahoma)

2. San Francisco: Nick Bosa (DE/Ohio State)

3. NY Jets: Quinnen Williams (DT/Alabama) - I believe Quinnen Williams is a transcendent talent and a top-2 player in this draft. Many are going to want Josh Allen at #3 but I honestly cannot sit here and say that he's a better football player. I still believe the trenches are where the game is won and lost and Quinnen in Gregg's system could be the next Aaron Donald. I think Mac had a plan for the d-line this offseason too by letting go of Mike Pennel, who's a good player but is more of a two-gapper and makes too many mental mistakes. Plug Quinnen in next to Leo and Henry Anderson, and you have yourself a formidable line.

4. Oakland: Josh Allen (LB/Kentucky)

5. Tampa Bay: Montez Sweat (DE/Mississippi State)

6. NY Giants: Dwayne Haskins (QB/Ohio State)

7. Jacksonville: Jonah Williams (OT/Alabama)

8. Detroit: Rashan Gary (DE/Michigan)

9. Buffalo: D.K. Metcalf (WR/Ole Miss)

10. Denver: Drew Lock (QB/Mizzou)

11. Cincinnati: Devin White (LB/LSU)

12. Green Bay: Brian Burns (DE/Florida State)

13. Miami: Christian Wilkins (DT/Clemson)

14. Atlanta: Ed Oliver (DT/Houston)

15. Washington: Greedy Williams (CB/LSU)

16. Carolina: T.J. Hockenson (TE/Iowa)

17. Cleveland: N'Keal Harry (WR/Arizona State)

18. Minnesota: Andre Dillard (OT/Washington State)

19. Tennessee: Clelin Ferrell (DE/Clemson)

20. Pittsburgh: Byron Murphy (CB/Washington)

21. Seattle: Nasir Adderley (S/Delaware)

22. Baltimore: Garrett Bradbury (C/N.C. State)

23. Houston: Jawaan Taylor (OT/Florida)

24. Oakland (f/CHI): Cody Ford (OT/Oklahoma)

25. Philadelphia: DeAndre Baker (CB/Georgia)

26. Indianapolis: A.J. Brown (WR/Ole Miss)

27. Oakland (f/DAL): Devin Bush (LB/Michigan)

28. LA Chargers: Jerry Tillery (DT/Notre Dame)

29. Kansas City: Dexter Lawrence (DT/Clemson)

30. Green Bay (f/NO): Noah Fant (TE/Iowa)

31. LA Rams: Jachai Polite (LB/Florida)

32. New England: Jeffery Simmons (DT/Mississippi State)

Round 2

33. Arizona: Marquise Brown (WR/Oklahoma)

34. Indianapolis (f/NYJ): Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (S/Florida)

35. Oakland: Josh Jacobs (HB/Alabama)

36. San Francisco: Hakeem Butler (WR/Iowa State)

37. NY Giants: Zach Allen (DE/Boston College)

38. Jacksonville: J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (WR/Stanford)

39. Tampa Bay: Darrell Henderson (HB/Memphis)

40. Buffalo: Dalton Risner (OT/Kansas State)

41. Denver: Trayvon Mullen (CB/Clemson)

42. Cincinnati: Yodny Cajuste (OT/West Virginia)

43. Detroit: Caleb Wilson (TE/UCLA)

44. Green Bay: Taylor Rapp (S/Washington)

45. Atlanta: Chris Lindstrom (OG/Boston College)

46. Washington: Kelvin Harmon (WR/N.C. State)

47. Carolina: Deionte Thompson (S/Alabama)

48. Miami: Erik McCoy (C/Texas A&M)

49. Cleveland: Greg Gaines (DT/Washington)

50. Minnesota: Jalen Jelks (LB/Oregon)

51. Tennessee: Deebo Samuel (WR/South Carolina)

52. Pittsburgh: Mack Wilson (LB/Alabama)

53. Philadelphia (f/SEA): David Montgomery (HB/Iowa State)

54. Houston (f/BAL): Amani Oruwariye (CB/Penn State)

55. Houston: Kaleb McGary (OT/Washington)

56. Arizona (f/CHI via NE): Terronne Prescod (OG/N.C. State) ***traded for QB Josh Rosen***

57. Philadelphia: Gerald Willis (DT/Miami)

58. Dallas: Jaylon Ferguson (DE/Louisiana Tech)

59. Indianapolis: Dre'Mont Jones (DT/Ohio State)

60. LA Chargers: Te'Von Coney (LB/Notre Dame)

61. Kansas City: Anthony Nelson (DE/Iowa)

62. New Orleans: Irv Smith (TE/Alabama)

63. Kansas City (f/LAR): Jonathan Abram (S/Mississippi State)

64. New England: Renell Wren (DT/Arizona State)

Round 3

65. Arizona: Khalen Saunders (DT/Western Illinois)

66. Pittsburgh (f/OAK): Parris Campbell (WR/Ohio State)

67. San Francisco: Germaine Pratt (LB/N.C. State)

68. NY Jets: Andy Isabella (WR/UMass) - finally after waiting 65 whole picks, we're finally up again. I love Andy Isabella and I'm gonna slot him in here, as I think he is a perfect fit for what Gase likes to do - precise route running, accurate throws, YAC, which means he needs quick reliable receivers. Isabella was a monster in college and an absolute speed demon, he is just like Tyreek Hill when you watch him. For those saying he didn't do it against strong competition, go watch him play vs. Georgia.

Rest of draft:

3 (93) via NO: Max Scharping (OT/Northern Illinois) - with most of our needs filled now we start think towards the future. Scharping is a talented kid with blindside protector tools and graded out highly as a pass protector. He can sit behind Beachum and then take the reigns in 2020. We need to start draft developmental talent and actually making it pan out or else we're constantly going to be trying to fill new holes every offseason.

4 (105): D'Andre Walker (LB/Georgia) - an edge rusher from the SEC is never a bad idea. We did ok with Jenkins, Walker is a similar prospect who finished the year injured and wasn't able to test at the Combine but has good tape and has been decently productive as he got more playing time.

5 (140): Ken Webster (CB/Ole Miss) - Webster showed out well at the Combine, testing well and looking good in drills. He went against D.K. Metcalf and A.J. Brown every day in practice, I like guys like that who are hardened and battle tested against the best of the best, which happens to his teammates, but he'll be ready for the NFL the moment he gets here.

7 (217): Byron Cowart (DE/Maryland) - a former top recruit who could never get it going, Cowart slips to R7 but somebody is bound to take a flier. He did ok with Maryland but nothing special, but if the right coach can get to him and finally unlock his potential he could be a steal.

2019 NEW YORK JETS DRAFT CLASS

1 (3): Quinnen Williams (DT/Alabama)

3 (68): Andy Isabella (WR/UMass)

3 (93): Max Scharping (OT/Northern Illinois)

4 (105): D'Andre Walker (LB/Georgia)

5 (140): Ken Webster (CB/Ole Miss)

7 (217): Byron Cowart (DE/Maryland)

OFFENSE (25)

QB: Sam Darnold, Brock Osweiler, Davis Webb

HB: Le'Veon Bell, Elijah McGuire, Trenton Cannon

WR: Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, Donte Moncrief, Andy Isabella, Andre Roberts, Deontay Burnett, Charone Peake

TE: Chris Herndon, Darren Fells, Jordan Leggett

LT: Kelvin Beachum, Max Scharping

LG: Rodger Saffold, Dakota Dozier

C: Matt Paradis, Jonotthan Harrison

RG: Brian Winters

RT: Brandon Shell, Ben Ijalana

DEFENSE (25)

DE: Leonard Williams, Byron Cowart

NT: Quinnen Williams, Foley Fatukasi

DT: Henry Anderson, Nathan Shepherd

SOLB: Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Copeland, D'Andre Walker

MLB: Avery Williamson, Darron Lee, Frankie Luvu

WOLB: Preston Smith, Cameron Wake, Jeremiah Attaochu

CB: Trumaine Johnson, Bryce Callahan, Derrick Jones, Darryl Roberts, Parry Nickerson, Ken Webster

FS: Marcus Maye, Doug Middleton

SS: Jamal Adams, Rontez Miles

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)

K: Jason Myers

P: Lac Edwards

LS: Thomas Hennessey

We have plenty of cap space to pull this all off and even roll some more money into next year. If I spent more time on this I could've gotten really into detail but I just wanted to show what the practical figures for all these moves would be. Rip it apart.

Just now, KodiakThunder said:

Even with that offseason id still prefer Josh Allen over Quinnen there. You cant have too many pass rushers and Allen is going to be an animal. 

Quinnen will be a force as well. Its a nitpick but i think there are others who would agree. 

I used to be of this opinion, but I don't think it's nitpicking. I think Quinnen is better by more than a small margin. 

Archived