Kelechi Osemele to the NY Jets

rickyt31

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Could be 2 years if he plays well.  Could be even more.  Often times OG's are good till they are 34-35

True, I just know he can be cut after this year.  Would be nice if we can get 3-3 years out of him while developing a replacement.

It's an excellent move IMO, instead of rolling the dice on signing Saffold we get an equally good guard in Osemele. We have TONS of money to sign, if we miss out on Bell there's going to be a lot to go around. He represents an upgrade for our line, helps our young QB and is a nice start to the free agency period.

Good move by Maccagnan this time. The Raiders have been purging good players who Gruden think is not his "guy". The Jets might as well as jump in on the fire sell.   No one should be complaining about the 5th round pick for a potential All-pro player as long as long as he is healthy. That 5th round pick can be recouped with a draft day trade of one of their 3rd round picks. Good start Maccagnan. Time to ring that Bell.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

Raiders are not getting Bell unless he drops his demands which I don't see happening. The had to trade one of their better guards for AB cap to fit. 

This. The owner is not flush with cash, but they need to spend a minimum per league rules. It feels like they busted their nut on Antonio. I could be wrong but I can't see another big contract with large guarantees. 

Also, I'll be interested in seeing the structure because it's possible Antonio's guarantees don't kick in until next year, when the regards move to Nevada. Since Antonio was traded and already under contract it makes sense, but it wouldn't for a guy like Bell who wants to capitalize on his cash now (time value of money). 

Two things...

1) The Jets can use this season as a try out for Osemele. Depending on how he plays, they would have some leverage in trying to sign him to an extension after the 2019 season (due to $0 remaining guarantees). 

2) This move says to me that the Jets are thinking big. They didn’t want to put all there eggs into one basket with Saffold, and most importantly, they obviously were not okay with the alternatives after him. They could have easily felt like they would have been able to fill LG with a veteran that was cut (Sitton/Lang/Leary). Instead they decided to prioritize the offensive line in a big way. I now feel confident that they will go after Paradis/Morse with full force. The single most important thing for the Jets to accomplish this off-season is to fix their offensive line. Off to a nice start Mikey Macc.

8 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Ok then I stand corrected. Last year was a down year I am guessing?

Also first year with Tom Cable who is a notoriously bad oline coach. I was one of the Ravens fans who hoped he would be cut so we could have a shot at him. 

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

We have tons of cap room.

Unless you make trades. I believe I read just signing your draft picks will cost 40mill bc of all the trades you made for picks this year. So that will eat into whatever cap space number it appears.

54 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Unless you make trades. I believe I read just signing your draft picks will cost 40mill bc of all the trades you made for picks this year. So that will eat into whatever cap space number it appears.

Mark Davis can’t afford all this first year cash they gotta hand out. 

Archived