Kelechi Osemele to the NY Jets

rickyt31

The #Rams Rodger Saffold is the top guard on the free-agent market. While #Jets were interested, so is 75% of the NFL. No guarantee they’d get him.

Saffold is 30. PFF grades of 72.6, 80.4, 72.8 last year years.

Osemele will be 30. PFF grades of 84.9, 76.1, 53.7 (injured)

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

We really didn't give up anything for him. Great move. The OG market isn't great and Macc was able to jump on this.

Exactly.  Plus if he is not back to health and play that equals his contract we can cut him with no dead money next year.

Many of us know that the Jets lost out to OAK when he was a FA back in 2016, so in many ways we finally got "our" man. Glad they made this move now because we really need as many dudes on the OL as possible; still need a C and maybe a tackle but getting Osemele is a big win. 

Last year was a down year for him, otherwise he's been graded out as one of the best guards in the league year after year. He's also very versatile (we tried signing him to play LT), but I'd expect he slides into the starting lineup as a LG. Turning 30 this summer so he has a few years still. Like this move a lot. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

He’ll be 30 this season. Far from an answer at H. He’s a risk with injury and even if healthy he is a stop gap. Better than nothing. But not a fix to any problem adding an injury prone 30yr old.

30 is not old. Besides, It's rare for find a college OL that's ready for the NFL nowadays, you need to draft-and-develop them. 

I don't see how one can argue this as anything but a good move. 

Just now, jetskid007 said:

30 is not old. Besides, It's rare for find a college OL that's ready for the NFL nowadays, you need to draft-and-develop them. 

I don't see how one can argue this as anything but a good move. 

Love the move. But he’s not an answer he’s a stop gap for a couple years. Which is fine bc he can protect Darnold and is versatile. But he’s not a building block. We will have to revisit this all in a couple years replacing Osemele.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’ll be 30 this season. Far from an answer at G. He’s a risk with injury and even if healthy he is a stop gap. Better than nothing. But not a fix to any problem adding an injury prone 30yr old.

You can't give Macc any credit can you? 

In your latest mock on here you had us signing Saffold who is not only a year older but missed 23 games since 2012.  This is a great move.  We have a pro bowl LG.  Like @jetskid007 said 30 is not old for a OL. Give credit where credit is due.  Macc did a nice job here.

1 minute ago, JetsFan15 said:

You can't give Macc any credit can you? 

In your latest mock on here you had us signing Saffold who is not only a year older but missed 23 games since 2012.  This is a great move.  We have a pro bowl LG.  Like @jetskid007 said 30 is not old for a OL. Give credit where credit is due.  Macc did a nice job here.

Look at my post above. I love the move. But facts are facts. Saffold isn’t an injury risk. Isn’t getting paid 10mill (he could once signed). I’m all for it. But it’s not an answer to G. It’s a stop gap. Also seems like we traded for a guy that was probably getting cut. I don’t value draft picks with Macc, so I don’t mind that. Just worth noting.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's why he was traded imo. Way too big of a contract for a G that has struggled the past 2 seasons. When he is healthy and on his game though, you wont find a better G.

Were you guys cutting him anyway?

Archived