A few quick notes about the combine/draft class

Magnus-Viktor

1 thing really stood out to me about the combine.  I watched the DL and LB groups, and was floored with the depth and talent there.  I watched the DB group and was underwhelmed beyond belief.  It honestly looked like the worst DB class I've ever seen.  After thinking that myself, I read somewhere that a pro scout or some thing professional in regards to this said the same exact thing.  I think there are some developmental guys and some "solid" guys there, but no one I'm drooling over early at CB.  A few safeties looked good.

The TEs look good.  I LOVE Hockenson.  Fant is solid, and tested really well.  A few other guys look/sound good as well.  

The OL is more solid than I expected.  I really like Bradbury, and did before he blew up the combine too.  Lindstrom looks solid too, with insane 10 split showing great explosion.  Both of those would be a great pickup to replace Foster at LG (but he's been extended for 2 years now so that bumped OL down a notch on my positional needs).  Risner and the Washington State OT are pretty solid too, but I think Risner is a RG, not RT.

Some WRs looked pretty solid.  I don't think you'd have trouble finding a solid #2 in this draft.  

I liked Miles Sanders at RB, but I think this might have pushed him up into the 2nd or 3rd.  Same with Mike Weber from Ohio State.  My top 2 in the draft.  Both showed flashes in games, but not dominance, but they tested out showing all the raw attributes you could want in a RB.  

QBs are pretty damn underwhelming to me.  

DTs are loaded.  This is no surprise.  

DEs are loaded even more.  Brian Burns was my guy before the combine, and even though he didn't time as well as Sweat, he's still my guy.  He just looks smoother, more natural in space, and has great hands and really everything.  Even weighed in at 249, and still ran in the 4.5s.  

LBs look like you have 3 guys that are a bit smaller but run 4.42, 4.43.  Almost all of them ran a 4.66 or faster, including some pretty good sized guys.  I wonder about the guy from Oregon.  Not sure, but his name might be Hollins.  6'5", good size, good athleticism.  Devin White, Devin Bush,.....both would work wonders for the middle of this defense with that 4.42 and 4.43 speed.  I think they go too early for the Steelers to find a stud this year.  

Ss, there are a few that tested out well but I haven't had time to check them out in depth.  Juan Thornhill sure looks the part with that 4.42 and 44" vert.  I liked Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and he tested well.  Chauncey might be my favorite DB in the draft.  

CBs, the only one whose movement skills impressed me was a guy that ran a 4.55, after gaining 15+ lbs since the season ended:  Byron Murphy.  Not too sure about a 5'11" 190 lbs, 4.55 CB.  Maybe he'd be a solid pickup if you got him into a serious strength training program to improve his long speed.  Greedy may have ran well, but didn't look good otherwise.  I guess I did like Isaiah Johnson quite a bit, and he tested out great.  Over 6'2" with 4.40 speed, etc.  He looked good at times and not as good at times.  You could see he had a long ways to go with CB development.  Same with Corey Ballentine, another developmental guy.  Justin Layne looked ok too, and came in just under 6'2" with 4.50 speed.  Johnson & Layne were former WRs, so they were raw and it showed.  DeAndre Baker looked good in games, but his movement skills didn't impress me at all at the combine.  

So with all of that said, I think you look at FA for immediate help in the secondary and go BPA in the draft.  Lets say that you trade Brown to the Raiders for pick 35.  (Update: as I was making this, it appears he is going for 66 and 144 instead, so not quite as good, but same team anyway).  

FA:  Steven Nelson, CB - take the money wasted on Bell last year and fix CB with it.  

FA:  Kwon Alexander, ILB - a LB with range to fill a glaring hole in the defense, again negating the need to reach in the draft to fix it.  Marcus Gilbert's cut should help free up this amount of cap space for these 2 acquisitions.  

1 (20).  Brian Burns, OLB, Florida State - I really like Burns, and liked him before he was hyped as a 1st.  He looked better than anyone in the combine in the DE/LB type drills, and timed well at 4.51 at 249 lbs.  He's very long, agile and flexible.  I think he could turn into a stud.  This frees up cap space in '20 by making Dupree expendable.  I would much prefer to take a CB in FA and go with Burns here, rather than take Murphy or Baker, just to take a CB.  I don't think any ILB worth taking will be available at this point. 

2 (52).   Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, FS, Florida - could play nickel corner too, but this frees you up to use him in many different ways.  He's probably my favorite DB in the draft.  Better safeties takes some of the pressure off your corners as well.  A secondary consisting of Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, a non-rookie version of Terrell Edmunds, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and Mike Hilton sounds pretty damn good to me.  I'm really not impressed with ANY DBs on this roster outside of Haden and Hilton right now, so even though it's a down year in the draft, it still makes sense to take a good one if they're available.  

2 (66).  Andy Isabella, WR, Massachusetts- After tying Campbell for the fastest WR in the draft, he also looked explosive and crisp in all his drills.  He looked the best of any WR there in my book.  At 5'9" 188, he's definitely small, so but so was Brown, who ran a 4.55.  Isabella has been timed at 4.26, so the speed is legit.  He'll work open quick on the underneath stuff, filling the type of role that Brown did for the most part.  I think the Cheatriots very well could take him if he's there at 64, but maybe not.  He and JuJu and Washington should compliment each other well.  

*****TRADE Bud Dupree to the Redskins for #77*****  Dupree is expendable after drafting Burns in 1, and in a bid to fix the team NOW, roll the dice and trade him for immediate help instead of just hoping for a 3rd comp next year and letting Burns develop.

3 (77).  Germaine Pratt, LB, NC State - A former safety, he has good range and speed, and decent size too at 6'2" 240 with 4.57 speed.  This should help shore up the middle of the defense.  

3 (84).  Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State - He looks like the real deal to me. He flashed during Penn State games, but I didn't see it consistently. He looked really good in the combine.  

4 (123).  Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston - He's over 6'2", 207 lbs with 4.40 speed.  He looks the part but raw and will take some coaching.  He was the CB that caught my the most in the entire combine behind only Byron Murphy who ran an unacceptable 4.55 at his small size, to warrant the 1st rounder it would take to get him.  

5 (144).  Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn - A small school guy that checks all the boxes as a developmental prospect. 

6 (176).  Justin Hollins, LB, Oregon - he sure passed the eyeball test, but I think he has a lot of developing to do.  

6 (194).  Antoine Wesley, WR, Texas Tech - I saw him absolutely dominate a game when I watched Tech play live this year.  He looked like the total package in that game, showing great length, unexpected agility and feet from a guy that size, and good hands.  Most surprisingly was the YAC that you don't expect from a guy with his physical attributes.  

7 (221).  Sutton Smith, LB, Northern Illinois - Tiny, but he and Burns looked the best out of the DE group.  He looked like he had the agility and athleticism to convert to LB.  Very sudden movements.  

UDFA.  Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo - He's a guy that really stood out at the senior bowl I believe it was, where he exhibited polished routes and natural hands.  Immediate contributor for depth.  

Guys I had in here but changed for others:   

Miles Boykin, WR, Notre Dame - This is one large man right here.  6'4" 220 with 88 1/2" arms and 9 7/8" hands.  He ran a 4.42, with a 43.5" vert, 140" broad, 6.77 3-cone and a 4.07 SS.  (the 3-cone and SS are actually better than Isabella's, whose were a solid 6.95 and 4.15).  

Depth Chart (obviously some of the carried over backups would be cut, and rookies would eventually supplant the guys in front of them at times):

QB:  Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph, Joshua Dobbs
RB:  James Conner, Miles Sanders 3, Jaylen Samuels
FB:  Roosevelt Nix
WR:  JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington, Andy Isabella 2, Ryan Switzer, Antoine Wesley 6, Cody Thompson UDFA
TE:  Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble
LT:  Alejandro Villanueva, Jerald Hawkins
LG:  Ramon Foster, BJ Finney
C:  Maurkice Pouncey
RG:  David DeCastro
RT:  Matt Feiler, Chuks Okorafor, Zach Banner

LDE:  Cameron Heyward, LT Walton
NT:  Javon Hargrave, Dan McCullers
RDE:  Stephon Tuitt, Tyson Alualu
LOLB:  TJ Watt, Anthony Chickillo
LILB:  LJ Fort, Jon Bostic, Germaine Pratt 3, Sutton Smith 7
RILB:  Kwon Alexander, Vince Williams, Justin Hollins 6, Tyler Matakevich
ROLB:  Brian Burns 1, Keion Adams
LCB:  Joe Haden, Isaiah Johnson 4
FS:  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson 2, Sean Davis, Marcus Allen, Brian Allen
SS:  Terrell Edmunds, Morgan Burnett, Jordan Dangerfield
RCB:  Steven NelsonCorey Ballentine 5, Artie Burns, Cameron Sutton
Nickel:  Mike Hilton

K:  Chris Boswell/Matt McCrane
P:  Jordan Berry

KR/PR:  Ryan Switzer

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like that draft but I think Burns tested too well to slip until 20.

I'm inclined to agree.  The last pro mocks I looked at a few days ago still had him around 30 though.  But I suspect he'll get up there a ways.  But if he goes up, someone has to go down.  Devin White and Brian Burns are the 2 guys that I could see in this draft that fill gaping holes on this roster.  It would be nice if one of them was available, but doubtful I know.  Burns wasn't quite as fast as I expected, but I suspect that's because he's 20+ lbs heavier now.  

One thing I'm curious about though, after I made the mock up, is how the Steelers perceive Sean Davis.  They drafted a S in 1 last year, so if they like Davis, they surely wouldn't burn that 2nd on a safety.  So maybe that pick should've been different, but then again, who else would be available that would fill a bigger hole, be better, and do they actually like Davis long-term?  When he was drafted I thought he could turn into something, but he seems to have regressed sometimes and probably used incorrectly as well.  The D is a joke without Shazier, and the O is becoming a joke with losing the best RB and WR in the league, and giving away the starting RT as well.  It's pretty stupid to extend Pouncey when he wasn't even looking for an extension, and why sign Foster to a 2 year deal when he's already 31?  

4 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I'm inclined to agree.  The last pro mocks I looked at a few days ago still had him around 30 though.  But I suspect he'll get up there a ways.  But if he goes up, someone has to go down.  Devin White and Brian Burns are the 2 guys that I could see in this draft that fill gaping holes on this roster.  It would be nice if one of them was available, but doubtful I know.  Burns wasn't quite as fast as I expected, but I suspect that's because he's 20+ lbs heavier now.  

One thing I'm curious about though, after I made the mock up, is how the Steelers perceive Sean Davis.  They drafted a S in 1 last year, so if they like Davis, they surely wouldn't burn that 2nd on a safety.  So maybe that pick should've been different, but then again, who else would be available that would fill a bigger hole, be better, and do they actually like Davis long-term?  When he was drafted I thought he could turn into something, but he seems to have regressed sometimes and probably used incorrectly as well.  The D is a joke without Shazier, and the O is becoming a joke with losing the best RB and WR in the league, and giving away the starting RT as well.  It's pretty stupid to extend Pouncey when he wasn't even looking for an extension, and why sign Foster to a 2 year deal when he's already 31?  

Pouncey is in last year of deal and was expecting to talk during TC... and they probably reduced this years cap hit. Foster is still solid and he cane at a good price. He also helps with line calls.

Gilbert was going to be cut to save $5 mill and the Steelersvhave younger and cheaper options.

They made it a point to keep the OL a strength which we shouldn’t complain about.

15 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

1 thing really stood out to me about the combine.  I watched the DL and LB groups, and was floored with the depth and talent there.  I watched the DB group and was underwhelmed beyond belief.  It honestly looked like the worst DB class I've ever seen.  After thinking that myself, I read somewhere that a pro scout or some thing professional in regards to this said the same exact thing.  I think there are some developmental guys and some "solid" guys there, but no one I'm drooling over early at CB.  A few safeties looked good.

Good overall write-up and very insightful.  I agree with your assessments here.

The TEs look good.  I LOVE Hockenson.  Fant is solid, and tested really well.  A few other guys look/sound good as well.  

I too like Hockenson. I watched some Iowa games and Hockenson stuck out to me. I am not as sold on Fant, but I have not looked at a lot enough film to adequately evaluate him either.  He seems to be smoother and more quick twitch than Hock, but Hock does everything else better from what I have observed thus far.

The OL is more solid than I expected.  I really like Bradbury, and did before he blew up the combine too.  Lindstrom looks solid too, with insane 10 split showing great explosion.  Both of those would be a great pickup to replace Foster at LG (but he's been extended for 2 years now so that bumped OL down a notch on my positional needs).  Risner and the Washington State OT are pretty solid too, but I think Risner is a RG, not RT.

I know we have Finney, but I think it is time to find/groom a young C to back-up and eventually replace Pouncey in three or four years.

Some WRs looked pretty solid.  I don't think you'd have trouble finding a solid #2 in this draft.  

There is a lot of low hanging fruit at WR. It is a matter of who and what type of WR you like.  Solid talent can be found in most every round. One of the deepest positions of this draft. I would still prefer to try to sign a veteran WR with experience as an insurance policy.

I liked Miles Sanders at RB, but I think this might have pushed him up into the 2nd or 3rd.  Same with Mike Weber from Ohio State.  My top 2 in the draft.  Both showed flashes in games, but not dominance, but they tested out showing all the raw attributes you could want in a RB.  

I think they could use a scatt type back. Last year, I liked Nyheim Hines (Colts).  I would try to find the same type of RB. Although, I may go the F/A route and get a vet like TJ Yeldon.  He can do it all and has some quickness that Connor and Samuels don't have. 

QBs are pretty damn underwhelming to me.  

Don't need to draft one for three consecutive years.  Let's see how Dobbs and Mason develop. If concerned, I would go the veteran f/a route for a back-up.  We certainly missed ole Landry against the Raiders last year.

DTs are loaded.  This is no surprise.  

DEs are loaded even more.  Brian Burns was my guy before the combine, and even though he didn't time as well as Sweat, he's still my guy.  He just looks smoother, more natural in space, and has great hands and really everything.  Even weighed in at 249, and still ran in the 4.5s.  

We could use a more traditional 4-3 DE. I have been saying this for years as the Steelers are now playing much more Nickel. This guy can rush the QB and is a tad bigger than the average 3-4 OLB and can better help in the run game.  I also am looking to see what the Patriots do with Danny Shelton. I have liked this kid since college. He would be a nice piece to line up next to Hargraves as they have different body types and styles. They would compliment each other well inside. 

LBs look like you have 3 guys that are a bit smaller but run 4.42, 4.43.  Almost all of them ran a 4.66 or faster, including some pretty good sized guys.  I wonder about the guy from Oregon.  Not sure, but his name might be Hollins.  6'5", good size, good athleticism.  Devin White, Devin Bush,.....both would work wonders for the middle of this defense with that 4.42 and 4.43 speed.  I think they go too early for the Steelers to find a stud this year.  

Very deep position with fast/quick/athletic types that Coach Tomlin seems to favor. I like Sione Takitaki from BYU as a potential second or third round choice.  Not polished enough to be a #1, but with Jerry O and DC Coach Butler, they can fix some of his flaws.  Reminds me a little of Kendrell Bell from what I have seen.

Ss, there are a few that tested out well but I haven't had time to check them out in depth.  Juan Thornhill sure looks the part with that 4.42 and 44" vert.  I liked Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and he tested well.  Chauncey might be my favorite DB in the draft.  

Good safety's and the kid from DE is solid as well, despite the fact that he didn't fully participate in the Combine.  I would still prefer to sign Tre Boston. We have some f/a money and I would grab a veteran like this to lock up our secondary and solidify the communication issues back-end.  He would be great to pair with Davis and Edmunds when they go three Safeties.  You can put Davis or Edmunds in the box. 

CBs, the only one whose movement skills impressed me was a guy that ran a 4.55, after gaining 15+ lbs since the season ended:  Byron Murphy.  Not too sure about a 5'11" 190 lbs, 4.55 CB.  Maybe he'd be a solid pickup if you got him into a serious strength training program to improve his long speed.  Greedy may have ran well, but didn't look good otherwise.  I guess I did like Isaiah Johnson quite a bit, and he tested out great.  Over 6'2" with 4.40 speed, etc.  He looked good at times and not as good at times.  You could see he had a long ways to go with CB development.  Same with Corey Ballentine, another developmental guy.  Justin Layne looked ok too, and came in just under 6'2" with 4.50 speed.  Johnson & Layne were former WRs, so they were raw and it showed.  DeAndre Baker looked good in games, but his movement skills didn't impress me at all at the combine.  

I like Byron's upside, but I am cautious as well.  I do think he is better than anyone we have not named Joe Hayden.  I think Hilton has a bounce back year in the slot, but I am not confident or impressed with the other CB's on the roster: Cam, Allen, and Burns all need to be upgraded, though I would give Allen another year to develop. We still need a solid veteran and a draft choice or two.

So with all of that said, I think you look at FA for immediate help in the secondary and go BPA in the draft.  Lets say that you trade Brown to the Raiders for pick 35.  (Update: as I was making this, it appears he is going for 66 and 144 instead, so not quite as good, but same team anyway).  

FA:  Steven Nelson, CB - take the money wasted on Bell last year and fix CB with it.  

FA:  Kwon Alexander, ILB - a LB with range to fill a glaring hole in the defense, again negating the need to reach in the draft to fix it.  Marcus Gilbert's cut should help free up this amount of cap space for these 2 acquisitions.  

Nelson will cost some money as he has some major upside as a young CB.  I am a little scared of Kwon due to his injury and I would prefer to draft and develop a young guy. I would take Nelson and Boston and my weak secondary is a lot better even before the draft. I still draft a young CB or two.

1 (20).  Brian Burns, OLB, Florida State - I really like Burns, and liked him before he was hyped as a 1st.  He looked better than anyone in the combine in the DE/LB type drills, and timed well at 4.51 at 249 lbs.  He's very long, agile and flexible.  I think he could turn into a stud.  This frees up cap space in '20 by making Dupree expendable.  I would much prefer to take a CB in FA and go with Burns here, rather than take Murphy or Baker, just to take a CB.  I don't think any ILB worth taking will be available at this point. 

I get that Bud has not been the second coming of Kevin Greene, but his play improved to me greatly.  There were games that he did a better job at attacking the QB with more consistency than Watt.  TJ put up the numbers, but early on his sacks by and large came in spurts where he had games with multiple sacks. I get that his high salary is a concern, but I don't want to write him off as he continues to develop. We need depth with or without Bud.  The Chick experiment has not worked at OLB. He is a solid special teamer, but not much else. The other guys on the roster look to be strictly back-ups and are completely unproven. We still can use a veteran cut free/agent or a draft pick.

2 (52).   Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, FS, Florida - could play nickel corner too, but this frees you up to use him in many different ways.  He's probably my favorite DB in the draft.  Better safeties takes some of the pressure off your corners as well.  A secondary consisting of Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, a non-rookie version of Terrell Edmunds, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and Mike Hilton sounds pretty damn good to me.  I'm really not impressed with ANY DBs on this roster outside of Haden and Hilton right now, so even though it's a down year in the draft, it still makes sense to take a good one if they're available.  

Good player, I doubt he falls this fast being the #1 or #2 saftey on most boards.  That said, I am looking to fill ILB since I was against Kwon. More concerned than scared about his health and $$$.

2 (66).  Andy Isabella, WR, Massachusetts- After tying Campbell for the fastest WR in the draft, he also looked explosive and crisp in all his drills.  He looked the best of any WR there in my book.  At 5'9" 188, he's definitely small, so but so was Brown, who ran a 4.55.  Isabella has been timed at 4.26, so the speed is legit.  He'll work open quick on the underneath stuff, filling the type of role that Brown did for the most part.  I think the Cheatriots very well could take him if he's there at 64, but maybe not.  He and JuJu and Washington should compliment each other well.  

*****TRADE Bud Dupree to the Redskins for #77*****  Dupree is expendable after drafting Burns in 1, and in a bid to fix the team NOW, roll the dice and trade him for immediate help instead of just hoping for a 3rd comp next year and letting Burns develop.

I would give Bud another shot.  The Steelers have been good at selecting WR's through the draft.  I still grab a veteran for some leadership and experience.

3 (77).  Germaine Pratt, LB, NC State - A former safety, he has good range and speed, and decent size too at 6'2" 240 with 4.57 speed.  This should help shore up the middle of the defense.  

3 (84).  Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State - He looks like the real deal to me. He flashed during Penn State games, but I didn't see it consistently. He looked really good in the combine.  

4 (123).  Isaiah Johnson, CB, Houston - He's over 6'2", 207 lbs with 4.40 speed.  He looks the part but raw and will take some coaching.  He was the CB that caught my the most in the entire combine behind only Byron Murphy who ran an unacceptable 4.55 at his small size, to warrant the 1st rounder it would take to get him.  

5 (144).  Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn - A small school guy that checks all the boxes as a developmental prospect. 

6 (176).  Justin Hollins, LB, Oregon - he sure passed the eyeball test, but I think he has a lot of developing to do.  

6 (194).  Antoine Wesley, WR, Texas Tech - I saw him absolutely dominate a game when I watched Tech play live this year.  He looked like the total package in that game, showing great length, unexpected agility and feet from a guy that size, and good hands.  Most surprisingly was the YAC that you don't expect from a guy with his physical attributes.  

7 (221).  Sutton Smith, LB, Northern Illinois - Tiny, but he and Burns looked the best out of the DE group.  He looked like he had the agility and athleticism to convert to LB.  Very sudden movements.  

UDFA.  Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo - He's a guy that really stood out at the senior bowl I believe it was, where he exhibited polished routes and natural hands.  Immediate contributor for depth.  

Concerned about drafting three LB's and two WR's. They all won't make the roster and we need more veteran help at OLB and WR

Guys I had in here but changed for others:   

Miles Boykin, WR, Notre Dame - This is one large man right here.  6'4" 220 with 88 1/2" arms and 9 7/8" hands.  He ran a 4.42, with a 43.5" vert, 140" broad, 6.77 3-cone and a 4.07 SS.  (the 3-cone and SS are actually better than Isabella's, whose were a solid 6.95 and 4.15).  

Depth Chart (obviously some of the carried over backups would be cut, and rookies would eventually supplant the guys in front of them at times):

QB:  Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph, Joshua Dobbs
RB:  James Conner, Miles Sanders 3, Jaylen Samuels
FB:  Roosevelt Nix
WR:  JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Washington, Andy Isabella 2, Ryan Switzer, Antoine Wesley 6, Cody Thompson UDFA

Need an experienced vet in this mix. Way too many young guys. I think Eli Rogers makes is as well. He makes plays when healthy and they throw him the ball.

TE:  Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble

I would like to upgrade some here. You know what you get with all three, but I would like to bring in a TE with more versatility and potential.  If the money is right, I would try to revive the career of former Raven TE Maxx Williams.   Bucky Hodges is developing as well and may be ready to supplant Grimble. 

LT:  Alejandro Villanueva, Jerald Hawkins
LG:  Ramon Foster, BJ Finney
C:  Maurkice Pouncey
RG:  David DeCastro
RT:  Matt Feiler, Chuks Okorafor, Zach Banner

Time to get the developmental C who can fill in at G if needed.

LDE:  Cameron Heyward, LT Walton
NT:  Javon Hargrave, Dan McCullers
RDE:  Stephon Tuitt, Tyson Alualu
LOLB:  TJ Watt, Anthony Chickillo
LILB:  LJ Fort, Jon Bostic, Germaine Pratt 3, Sutton Smith 7
RILB:  Kwon Alexander, Vince Williams, Justin Hollins 6, Tyler Matakevich

Wayyyyy too many ILB's.  No more than five and that's pushing it because Dirty Red is a great ST player.

ROLB:  Brian Burns 1, Keion Adams

OLB is extremely thin and weak.  Could use a veteran here and an upgrade over Chick.  Adams may be. Dont' forget or sleep on Adeniyi.  He is very similar to Deebo in style and has some upside.
LCB:  Joe Haden, Isaiah Johnson 4
FS:  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson 2, Sean Davis, Marcus Allen, Brian Allen
SS:  Terrell Edmunds, Morgan Burnett, Jordan Dangerfield
RCB:  Steven NelsonCorey Ballentine 5, Artie Burns, Cameron Sutton
Nickel:  Mike Hilton

If you draft two CB's, Artie and Cam are most likely gone. If Allen develops, he is a much cheaper and better back-up.  Even Cody is better in my eyes because while he s not starter material, he is a decent #4 or # CB.

K:  Chris Boswell/Matt McCrane
P:  Jordan Berry

I think Boz bounces back and I am adding a punter to the competitive mix as well.

KR/PR:  Ryan Switzer

Thanks for the post. Enjoyed reading.

On 3/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, Steeler Hitman said:

Good overall write-up and very insightful.  I agree with your assessments here.

I too like Hockenson. I watched some Iowa games and Hockenson stuck out to me. I am not as sold on Fant, but I have not looked at a lot enough film to adequately evaluate him either.  He seems to be smoother and more quick twitch than Hock, but Hock does everything else better from what I have observed thus far.

I know we have Finney, but I think it is time to find/groom a young C to back-up and eventually replace Pouncey in three or four years.

There is a lot of low hanging fruit at WR. It is a matter of who and what type of WR you like.  Solid talent can be found in most every round. One of the deepest positions of this draft. I would still prefer to try to sign a veteran WR with experience as an insurance policy.

I think they could use a scatt type back. Last year, I liked Nyheim Hines (Colts).  I would try to find the same type of RB. Although, I may go the F/A route and get a vet like TJ Yeldon.  He can do it all and has some quickness that Connor and Samuels don't have. 

Don't need to draft one for three consecutive years.  Let's see how Dobbs and Mason develop. If concerned, I would go the veteran f/a route for a back-up.  We certainly missed ole Landry against the Raiders last year.

We could use a more traditional 4-3 DE. I have been saying this for years as the Steelers are now playing much more Nickel. This guy can rush the QB and is a tad bigger than the average 3-4 OLB and can better help in the run game.  I also am looking to see what the Patriots do with Danny Shelton. I have liked this kid since college. He would be a nice piece to line up next to Hargraves as they have different body types and styles. They would compliment each other well inside. 

Very deep position with fast/quick/athletic types that Coach Tomlin seems to favor. I like Sione Takitaki from BYU as a potential second or third round choice.  Not polished enough to be a #1, but with Jerry O and DC Coach Butler, they can fix some of his flaws.  Reminds me a little of Kendrell Bell from what I have seen.

Good safety's and the kid from DE is solid as well, despite the fact that he didn't fully participate in the Combine.  I would still prefer to sign Tre Boston. We have some f/a money and I would grab a veteran like this to lock up our secondary and solidify the communication issues back-end.  He would be great to pair with Davis and Edmunds when they go three Safeties.  You can put Davis or Edmunds in the box. 

I like Byron's upside, but I am cautious as well.  I do think he is better than anyone we have not named Joe Hayden.  I think Hilton has a bounce back year in the slot, but I am not confident or impressed with the other CB's on the roster: Cam, Allen, and Burns all need to be upgraded, though I would give Allen another year to develop. We still need a solid veteran and a draft choice or two.

Nelson will cost some money as he has some major upside as a young CB.  I am a little scared of Kwon due to his injury and I would prefer to draft and develop a young guy. I would take Nelson and Boston and my weak secondary is a lot better even before the draft. I still draft a young CB or two.

I get that Bud has not been the second coming of Kevin Greene, but his play improved to me greatly.  There were games that he did a better job at attacking the QB with more consistency than Watt.  TJ put up the numbers, but early on his sacks by and large came in spurts where he had games with multiple sacks. I get that his high salary is a concern, but I don't want to write him off as he continues to develop. We need depth with or without Bud.  The Chick experiment has not worked at OLB. He is a solid special teamer, but not much else. The other guys on the roster look to be strictly back-ups and are completely unproven. We still can use a veteran cut free/agent or a draft pick.

Good player, I doubt he falls this fast being the #1 or #2 saftey on most boards.  That said, I am looking to fill ILB since I was against Kwon. More concerned than scared about his health and $$$.

I would give Bud another shot.  The Steelers have been good at selecting WR's through the draft.  I still grab a veteran for some leadership and experience.

Concerned about drafting three LB's and two WR's. They all won't make the roster and we need more veteran help at OLB and WR

Time to get the developmental C who can fill in at G if needed.

Thanks for the post. Enjoyed reading.

Thanks for the input.  As for the DC, I know there are way more than 53 guys on that list.  I didn't even count.  I figured they'd fight it out in training camp.  That's more or less a training camp roster.  I just counted it real quick, and I think there were 60 on there total.  

I did get the key free agent pickup right.  That's a nice start.  

As for Dupree, I just don't see him being worth 10 mill a year, so I'd rather draft a replacement.  I know that ILB is a glaring need, and we missed out on Kwon and the guy who was actually my favorite FA LB, Jordan Hicks, so that'll be the first round pickup.  They'll probably reach for Devin Bush if he's available.  I don't like his lack of production, but I do like his speed, and while it would be a reach, it would certainly help.  

I want a TE too, but if I'm not getting Hockenson, I don't know about drafting one early unless that Ole Miss TE drops.  I also had assumed Jesse James would re-sign, since I heard he'd take a home-town discount to stay.  But he signed with the Titans if I remember correctly.  So yes, now TE is definitely a need.  I liked Maxx Williams' hands in college at Minnesota.  I could get on board with him as a FA.  

I just read after I posted that mock that Morgan Burnett wants traded/cut, which makes no sense for the team to do given the cap hit if they do it.  I'm also curious how much the team actually likes Sean Davis.  He's so up and down.  I liked him at times, and hated him at times.  So maybe we don't even need an early S.  

I would definitely draft those 2 CBs if they are available at those spots.  I figure Haden is almost 30.  A big CB like Johnson could play FS if necessary, and STs until they develop.  Just like Brian Allen has done.  I'd look to trade Artie if I could get anything of value out of him, if I was able to land those guys.

I'd love to land Bradbury, Lindstrom or Risner to develop on that OL, but I just think there are more pressing needs elsewhere since Foster and Pouncey were just re-signed for 2+ years each, and DeCastro is a stud.

(I wasn't really paying much attention to QBs, but I'm not impressed from what I have seen.  Drew Lock would probably be my choice of the bunch if we hadn't already burned picks in every draft for the last 5 years on a QB.....I didn't miss Jones last year, they just played the wrong QB and should've put Ben back in sooner)

On 3/11/2019 at 3:12 AM, AlanFanecaFan said:

Pouncey is in last year of deal and was expecting to talk during TC... and they probably reduced this years cap hit. Foster is still solid and he cane at a good price. He also helps with line calls.

Gilbert was going to be cut to save $5 mill and the Steelersvhave younger and cheaper options.

They made it a point to keep the OL a strength which we shouldn’t complain about.

I would've made Pouncey play out this year and prove he can stay healthy before I re-signed him, but if it freed up cap space to fix CB, ok.  I like Foster.  Always have.  I never really liked Gilbert that much, but you would think you could get more than a 6.  I guess anything is better than nothing though, and again, if the Pouncey and Gilbert deals made a quality CB signing possible, I'm on board.  Feiler looked good last year anyway at RT.  

I'm a huge proponent of the OL usually.  This draft was very unusual for me, not taking any OL.

17 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I would've made Pouncey play out this year and prove he can stay healthy before I re-signed him, but if it freed up cap space to fix CB, ok.  I like Foster.  Always have.  I never really liked Gilbert that much, but you would think you could get more than a 6.  I guess anything is better than nothing though, and again, if the Pouncey and Gilbert deals made a quality CB signing possible, I'm on board.  Feiler looked good last year anyway at RT.  

I'm a huge proponent of the OL usually.  This draft was very unusual for me, not taking any OL.

Pouncey has played in at least 15 games the last 4 years...surprisingly healthy considering the way his career started.

His new deal was actually just a 2/22 extension, nothing changed this year.

Gilbert top 5 RT but he hasn’t been healthy forb2 years, is wrong side of 30 and FA after this year...I wasn’t expecting much.

Finney is IOL depth this year..he’s probably gone next year and Foster will be another year older...my guess is OG is a top 3 need next year.

Bad thing is 4/5 of OL will need replaced within 3-4 years.

19 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Pouncey has played in at least 15 games the last 4 years...surprisingly healthy considering the way his career started.

His new deal was actually just a 2/22 extension, nothing changed this year.

Gilbert top 5 RT but he hasn’t been healthy forb2 years, is wrong side of 30 and FA after this year...I wasn’t expecting much.

Finney is IOL depth this year..he’s probably gone next year and Foster will be another year older...my guess is OG is a top 3 need next year.

Bad thing is 4/5 of OL will need replaced within 3-4 years.

Yeah 4 of the 5 are 30+ this season, and the other is unknown as a full time starter.  At least OL can stay at a high level longer than most positions.  It's a bad time to lose the only good coach on the roster!

Archived