Kirk Cousins - 2018 Starter?

y2lamanaki

I am okay if we go the Cousins route. The contract doesn't bother me since i think a quarterback of his age would be capable of being effective for the entire length of the deal

My hope is simply that we don't get desperate about it. There's no reason for us to be making deals with Washington and sending them high picks or anything

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I am okay if we go the Cousins route. The contract doesn't bother me since i think a quarterback of his age would be capable of being effective for the entire length of the deal

My hope is simply that we don't get desperate about it. There's no reason for us to be making deals with Washington and sending them high picks or anything

I'm still okay if that's the way we decide to go about this - especially since we might be able to pull it off with only a 2nd now, and we have two of those. Figure most teams are aware that he'd prefer to play with Shanahan, so they won't outbid us. For Washington it's a mid-to-high 2nd in 2018 or a compensatory 3rd in 2019...maybe it works. Then we'd have Cousins this year and beyond, and still have a 1st, 2nd, and two 3rds + cap room galore, since we won't have to frontload his contract since we won't have to outbid Washington year one.  

I look at it this way - it gives us a chance to make sure the QB situation is taken care of with no worry about what happens in college football this year, or how the 49ers perform in conjunction. We can have growing pains and try and win games. Cousins gets a year to gel with some of our longterm skill position guys (Kittle, Taylor, Williams for sure), and if the defense comes together right away (with 6 former first round picks, and three former Pro Bowl players in Bowman, Brooks, Dumervil, it's altogether possible), the team might even be able to make a small push for the playoffs. Then next year it's about shoring up the offensive line and receivers. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think Cousins is our best choice for the success of Shanny's tenure. 

Darnold and Allen are intriguing. Rosen reminds me of someone else who would not shut up, so no thanks. I would much rather go another direction entirely in '18 1st round. OL/WR/LB/passrusher or even DB (ugh!) if necessary.

So, come on down as soon as the season is over, Cousins. 

The favorite? Absolutely.  Things might change. But given dozens of potential 2018 starters I'd say it's better than a 50% chance it turns out to be Cousins.  Getting him here this year for a second gives him one extra year to work with Shanny and the rest of the team.  But at age 30 (next year) and having already played for him in the past I'm not sure I'd give up a second for that extra year.  I say sign him in the offseason and use that second to get him another lineman to protect him, or WR to throw to, or complete our defense by getting some young d-backs to match the quality of our defensive front.

I'd love to draft one of the top young QBs coming out, and if we end up picking in the top 3 and if there 3 QBs there that still seem like potential "franchise QBs" I'd think about that option.  But I said weeks ago I thought we'd win 5 or 6 games and I still think that we will.  The cost of moving up from there to top 3 to take a shot at a QB who might not work out compared to signing Cousins and having several high draft picks to round out the rest of the roster seems like a pretty easy choice to me.  Cousins and a few high draft picks that work out well  for us puts right into playoff contention.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I think Cousins is our best choice for the success of Shanny's tenure. 

Darnold and Allen are intriguing. Rosen reminds me of someone else who would not shut up, so no thanks. I would much rather go another direction entirely in '18 1st round. OL/WR/LB/passrusher or even DB (ugh!) if necessary.

So, come on down as soon as the season is over, Cousins. 

Because he has an opinion and speaks his mind you would completely take him off your board? :|

I'm with Forge on Rosen. I actually think the kid is pretty smart, sure he's rough around the edges initially and blunt about things, but he's pretty well informed and intelligent. Doesn't mean he's always right about the topics he speaks on but atleast he's not ignorant or speaking blindly on such subjects. I would like to see him stay healthy and perform well, along with Allen. Having two top options in the draft next year could go a long way for us bettering this team, either by drafting one or trading our position away for another team to draft one if we acquire Cousins. 

All that said I'm still on the side of acquiring Cousins and getting the ball rolling on this rebuild. Then focusing our draft on adding a OT for the future, CB, WR, OG, S and another pass rusher. Some of those may even be addressed through FA allowing us to possibly double dip at some positions of need or continue to add talent in other areas. I'm all for a QB depth chart looking like Cousins, Hoyer and Beathard for next year and Cousins, Beathard for the three years following that. 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I long for the days when football players were...football players! Get the social media and politics/social opinions out of my football.

It's a game, not a podium.

What do you mean get the social media out of your football? As in like you want athletes not to have twitter, instagram, snap etc? If so, good luck with that.

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I long for the days when football players were...football players! Get the social media and politics/social opinions out of my football.

You're going to have a real tough time with that. 

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Society on a global scale has changed with the advent of social media. It's not just football players utilizing current technology as a mic. It's everyone else. 

I never understood the stick to sports argument or in this case an athlete not using social media when any other regular Joe could. It is laughable. As Martellus Bennett stated a few days ago, no one tells a teacher to just stick to teaching or a truck driver to just stick to driving. As @PapaShogun mentioned above, utilizing social media and technology is there for everyone. And you better believe if it was available 20 or 30 years ago, the athletes of the past would have done the exact same.

Archived