Power Tools Thread & Hand Tools thread

Good Morrow, Gents!

I thought this would be a good time to take other people's input for power tools and hand tools. 

I already have a decent amount of power tools and regular tools, but I'm also looking to try other things.

To start with, for power tools, I use the Drill/Impact Driver Combo Dewalt 20V XR Max. Ever since I moved to the 4amp/hr batteries, I've had good success. 

I also have a battery powered 20V Max Dewalt Grinder. Mostly for on the go stuff that's short and quick. Still, recommend the higher amp batteries because high RPM tools like grinders eat up batteries.

As a Carpenter that specializes in Concrete Foundations, the next power tool I'm buying is a rotary hammer drill. I've been borrowing my old man's Bosch Bulldog but It seems like it doesn't have enough @$$ behind it. 

Also, because a carpenter's favorite tool to fight over is a hammer, stick with the 28 oz EstWing Framer with the Milled Head!

Guess is depends on what you're trying to accomplish with said tools.

I have a pretty good collection of specialty power and hand tools for woodworking.  But those are only going to interest people that dabble in woodworking.

Recently i've buying up vintage hand planes of the Stanley variety (picture below is the same one as my No 5).  So far i have a No 3, 5 and 6.  Looking for a number 7 currently.

76294_1000x.jpg?v=1508206909

Don't have much in the way of drills, grinders, etc.  Just a basic hand drill for simple tasks.  Don't really a need for the serious tools.

My handiest and most used is a Dewalt 1/2" Drive electric impact, so much nicer than dragging an airline everywhere. I bought it to keep in my semi but I use it so much in the shop that I just keep it there.

The one I am most grateful of is my Dewalt electric grease gun. Makes greasing my semi an absolute breeze, once again much nicer than dragging an airline around (and I sure in hell am not about to use a hand pump grease gun).

My least used is an absolute beast. It's a 1" impact and its got enough torque to snap your arm off.

@Dome Sounds like my experience with tire spoons. My dad clocked me with one when we were changing one of my semi tires last year. Dropped me to my knees in a split second, he claims it wasn't his spoon that did it but I had a front row seat to the action. 

On 3/12/2019 at 8:07 AM, Dome said:

My arch nemesis. 

The Stanley Fubar Demolition Hammer

Got the best of me one time, and I vow to get it back some day.

sta-55-120-2.jpg

I've spent all these years assuming it was a small claw hammer.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 9:07 AM, Dome said:

My arch nemesis. 

sta-55-120-2.jpg

I have the 22 oz Dewalt Demo hammer. Just with the 2x4 gripper, wider face, and doesn't have the nail puller on the bottom, but on the 2x4 gripper

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 7:35 AM, Neumatic said:

My handiest and most used is a Dewalt 1/2" Drive electric impact, so much nicer than dragging an airline everywhere. I bought it to keep in my semi but I use it so much in the shop that I just keep it there.

The one I am most grateful of is my Dewalt electric grease gun. Makes greasing my semi an absolute breeze, once again much nicer than dragging an airline around (and I sure in hell am not about to use a hand pump grease gun).

My least used is an absolute beast. It's a 1" impact and its got enough torque to snap your arm off.

@Dome Sounds like my experience with tire spoons. My dad clocked me with one when we were changing one of my semi tires last year. Dropped me to my knees in a split second, he claims it wasn't his spoon that did it but I had a front row seat to the action. 

You need to try a 1 1/2" impact, we use it to run up the jacking bolts for a generator that weighs 30tons so we can change the shims to get alignment to the turbine real fun stuff.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 8:07 AM, Dome said:

My arch nemesis. 

sta-55-120-2.jpg

THAT'S what you hit yourself in the head with!? 

How the hell did you survive?

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You've proven you're hard headed...

I actually had a smart *** doctor (and I had a puke bucket in my hand cause the concussion has made me sick when he told me this) tell me "Well at least you just hit your head, and nothing important."

Now ain't the time for jokes, doc. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dome said:

I actually had a smart *** doctor (and I had a puke bucket in my hand cause the concussion has made me sick when he told me this) tell me "Well at least you just hit your head, and nothing important."

Now ain't the time for jokes, doc. 

I'm sure the doc figured you wouldn't remember anything...

• Like 2

I do a lot of handyman stuff, for my house and my friends, and I'll tell you what...I'm a really big fan of the Ryobi stuff. I have The impact drive, caulk gun, router, saws, radios, etc. love it. also a fan of DeWalt, have a drill, circular saw, and sawzaw in dewalt. Then all my yard tools are all either 40v or 18v ryobi stuff as well. weed whacker, blower, tiller, mower, etc.