Power Tools Thread & Hand Tools thread

So, about 3 years ago I bought a Black and Decker 18v Drill/Impact Driver, about $40 from Walmart. Has a built in lithium Ion battery. I charged it up that day, and have used it almost once every month for little things. Drilling holes in drywall to mount shelving, assembling furniture, other little projects. I have only charged it for the second time a couple days ago. I don't know how to explain it, but the battery in this thing is a little monster.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:01 PM, SimsZilla said:

I do a lot of handyman stuff, for my house and my friends, and I'll tell you what...I'm a really big fan of the Ryobi stuff. I have The impact drive, caulk gun, router, saws, radios, etc. love it. also a fan of DeWalt, have a drill, circular saw, and sawzaw in dewalt. Then all my yard tools are all either 40v or 18v ryobi stuff as well. weed whacker, blower, tiller, mower, etc. 

I love Ryobi stuff as well. But when I was buying a new set off tools. I splurged and got a Milwaukee set 

This weekend, i learned that my dad has a Craftsman table router.  I previously had no idea he had this thing.  But it was neat.  I hadn't used one since like high school i think.  Used it to make some sweet fascia pieces for a bookshelf.  Still really confused as to how he had it just hiding under a big shelf for years.  Also, slightly confused in trying to get it adjusted to the appropriate depth and breadth.  Thank heavens for test wood.  The most unheralded of all woods.

On 27/06/2019 at 1:15 PM, navysaintsfan said:

So, about 3 years ago I bought a Black and Decker 18v Drill/Impact Driver, about $40 from Walmart. Has a built in lithium Ion battery. I charged it up that day, and have used it almost once every month for little things. Drilling holes in drywall to mount shelving, assembling furniture, other little projects. I have only charged it for the second time a couple days ago. I don't know how to explain it, but the battery in this thing is a little monster.

I had the opposite experience with Black and Decker.  I had a drill that i used extensively building 10s of acres of fences.  Used it hard, and it held up which was admirable.  But after that, didn't use it much for a while.  A couple years later, learned that they completely changed the battery setup.  Couldn't actually find replacement packs for it.  They'd completely obsosleted my drill.  So i went with a DeWalt item.  Literally everything they sell seems to be built around the same battery pack now.  I feel okay about that.  Also, it's a better tool.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 3:50 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Good Morrow, Gents!

I thought this would be a good time to take other people's input for power tools and hand tools. 

I already have a decent amount of power tools and regular tools, but I'm also looking to try other things.

To start with, for power tools, I use the Drill/Impact Driver Combo Dewalt 20V XR Max. Ever since I moved to the 4amp/hr batteries, I've had good success. 

I also have a battery powered 20V Max Dewalt Grinder. Mostly for on the go stuff that's short and quick. Still, recommend the higher amp batteries because high RPM tools like grinders eat up batteries.

As a Carpenter that specializes in Concrete Foundations, the next power tool I'm buying is a rotary hammer drill. I've been borrowing my old man's Bosch Bulldog but It seems like it doesn't have enough @$$ behind it. 

Also, because a carpenter's favorite tool to fight over is a hammer, stick with the 28 oz EstWing Framer with the Milled Head!

I wonder if Hilti might have something better