Everything Free Agency: Duval Edition

.Buzz

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

Looking at moves by Titans and Texans, I can say with 75% confidence we will be at the bottom of the AFCS next season.

Thank you for a wonderful 2017 season...Tom, Dave, and Doug...

NOW GTFO!

Buying the free agency kool-aid I see.

Titans signed an OG and Humphries and the Texans got an ok corner and either stayed the same or possibly slightly downgraded at safety and yet they've both jumped leaps and bounds? 

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Titans signed an OG and Humphries and the Texans got an ok corner and either stayed the same or possibly slightly downgraded at safety and yet they've both jumped leaps and bounds? 

You think Foles closed the gap? Luck finally has a decent Oline and plenty of cap room. Watson and the Texans as long as they remain healthy will still be solid. Jags haven’t beaten the Titans in 2 years. Where have to Jags got better Foles with no weapons? Oh I forgot also losing key defensive pieces as well. I don’t expect these guys to muster up more than 7 wins.

3 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

You think Foles closed the gap? Luck finally has a decent Oline and plenty of cap room. Watson and the Texans as long as they remain healthy will still be solid. Jags haven’t beaten the Titans in 2 years. Where have to Jags got better Foles with no weapons? Oh I forgot also losing key defensive pieces as well. I don’t expect these guys to muster up more than 7 wins.

Think you underrated how awful our QB play was last year and the fact our team most definitely packed it in because of it.

As far as getting beat consistently by the Titans, it hasn't helped that Blake's worst games every year are most definitely against them every time. The Colts got beat by a Cody Kessler led team. The Texans are solid for sure, but their FA hasnt moved the needle much at all.

To each their own though. But I'm definitely not looking at what either team did and any more worried or unsure how we stack up.

Gip is the only one that right now I'm worried about in a drop off in play at the position. The rest were obvious cuts. 

25 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Well for one both were already better than us before we made our cuts.

Titans further bolstered an OL (which despite having some injuries last season dominated our front), which makes Jag killer Henry even more dangerous.

Texans upgraded both corner and safety spots (slight, maybe break even).

But those teams were already better than us last season, so they don't need to make leaps and bounds to be better than us again.

3 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Well for one both were already better than us before we made our cuts.

Titans further bolstered an OL (which despite having some injuries last season dominated our front), which makes Jag killer Henry even more dangerous.

Texans upgraded both corner and safety spots (slight, maybe break even).

But those teams were already better than us last season, so they don't need to make leaps and bounds to be better than us again.

They were better than us last season. But see above post...can't tell me this team didn't pack it in. Even if you don't believe that, we upgraded by leaps and bounds at the position that moves the needle the most if Foles is even average compared to what we had at the position last year.

I'm not even saying we're better or on their level looking at things now, but the optics of a team change every year as we saw from 2017 to last year. We had damn near the same roster structure and signed Norwell and co. who was a top OG and look what happened.

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

They were better than us last season. But see above post...can't tell me this team didn't pack it in. Even if you don't believe that, we upgraded by leaps and bounds at the position that moves the needle the most if Foles is even average compared to what we had at the position last year.

I'm not even saying we're better or on their level looking at things now, but the optics of a team change every year as we saw from 2017 to last year. We had damn near the same roster structure and signed Norwell and co. who was a top OG and look what happened.

I don't think the team packed it in. It was just decimated by injuries on offense that made it not function at an NFL level. The early injury to Fournette and the OL (and Blake's reliance on a functional running game to hit his bread and (only) butter crossers) killed the offense.

You said it yourself. We beat Luck late in the year when they were fighting for a playoff spot. That is, by definition, not packing it in.

The problem is that, while foles will be an upgrade on Blake, he's also quite up and down himself (and really unproven outside of Philly).

The cuts we made were no surprises, outside of Gip. But we are less stable across the board.

Not to say the ball can't roll in our favor again like in 2017, but I'm not sure how we can  be confident of a bounce back year with just Foles as an addition while having to plug at least:

1 more WR 

2 TEs 

2 OL 

1 more RB 

1 3T DT (since we rotate a bit)

1 FS 

And I'm still not confident that Doug's philosophy will mesh with Foles.

Reading comments about Foles, people talk about him being allowed to play freely as a catalyst to his success, and his lows come from when his confidence is shaken.

That can be a direct opposition to Marrone's "protect the ball at all cost" mantra.

We could, potentially, see the Rams Foles unless we change this philosophy 

Its no surprise the other 3 teams were better last year. They made some additions while we let some guys go and brought in hopefully an upgrade at QB. The division is getting tougher and tougher but i dont think any of those teams are Top-3 in the AFC either. I’d take NE, KC and LA over then. I’d like to see what weapons we can bring in and hope the young guys take a step forward. We’ll see what happens 

1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

I don't think the team packed it in. It was just decimated by injuries on offense that made it not function at an NFL level. The early injury to Fournette and the OL (and Blake's reliance on a functional running game to hit his bread and (only) butter crossers) killed the offense.

You said it yourself. We beat Luck late in the year when they were fighting for a playoff spot. That is, by definition, not packing it in.

The problem is that, while foles will be an upgrade on Blake, he's also quite up and down himself (and really unproven outside of Philly).

The cuts we made were no surprises, outside of Gip. But we are less stable across the board.

Not to say the ball can't roll in our favor again like in 2017, but I'm not sure how we can  be confident of a bounce back year with just Foles as an addition while having to plug at least:

1 more WR 

2 TEs 

2 OL 

1 more RB 

1 3T DT (since we rotate a bit)

1 FS 

And I'm still not confident that Doug's philosophy will mesh with Foles.

Reading comments about Foles, people talk about him being allowed to play freely as a catalyst to his success, and his lows come from when his confidence is shaken.

That can be a direct opposition to Marrone's "protect the ball at all cost" mantra.

We could, potentially, see the Rams Foles unless we change this philosophy 

FA hasn't even officially opened yet and we haven't had our draft. Your acting as if it's July and training camp is about to start. The off-season basically just started as far as altering the team goes.

We lost Fournette with zero backup plan and got atrocious QB play. No pass game, no run game and yet you think the D didn't take their foot off the gas a bit once that started happening? Idk, looked evident to me in a lot of games there wasn't as much urgency and players went on there own little tangents. Lot of guys looked defeated to me. That's not good either or something to cling to in hopes things get turned around, but....

DeFlippo isn't going to be calm and cautious. He knows what worked with Foles. We'll see if Marrone gets dirty into that philosophy but the playcaller that he hired to manage the offense isn't what you describe.

Archived