lions to sign Danny Amendola

flyguy1609

8 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Players don't get signed as coaches. Nothing rolls my eyes harder every year at FA time than that kind of comment.

Players for sure get signed because they positively influence those around them, or help bridge the coaches and players. This is what people mean when they say "locker-room presence" or "player-coach". It's completely asinine to think that isn't a reality. The entire term "clipboard jesus" is specifically derived from that scenario. Players are signed all the time because they will at least in part help other players develop.

29 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Players for sure get signed because they positively influence those around them, or help bridge the coaches and players. This is what people mean when they say "locker-room presence" or "player-coach". It's completely asinine to think that isn't a reality. The entire term "clipboard jesus" is specifically derived from that scenario. Players are signed all the time because they will at least in part help other players develop.

Players get signed to play. To produce on the field. If they're good locker room guys, then that's great. But if a team wants a coach, they sign a coach. Salary cap room and roster spots are way too precious to give to someone who doesn't help you on the field just because they're a swell guy. Stop kidding yourself

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Players get signed to play. To produce on the field. If they're good locker room guys, then that's great. But if a team wants a coach, they sign a coach. Salary cap room and roster spots are way too precious to give to someone who doesn't help you on the field just because they're a swell guy. Stop kidding yourself

U wrong bro.

Veterans are signed on a regular basis to provide a positive locker room presence, developmental guidance for players of similar roles, and to provide growth for their team.

This guy has been mediocre his whole career and given his age it would not be surprising this is the role he plays. 

This isn’t Madden. The dynamics and atmosphere of the locker room play a significant part in a teams success.

12 minutes ago, TimeForChange said:

U wrong bro.

Veterans are signed on a regular basis to provide a positive locker room presence, developmental guidance for players of similar roles, and to provide growth for their team.

This guy has been mediocre his whole career and given his age it would not be surprising this is the role he plays. 

This isn’t Madden. The dynamics and atmosphere of the locker room play a significant part in a teams success.

Yeah I'm sure the Lions aren't really planning on him catching any passes at all. Just as long as he's a positive influence on TJ Jones or whatever WR they take in the sixth round 9_9

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

Yeah I'm sure the Lions aren't really planning on him catching any passes at all. Just as long as he's a positive influence on TJ Jones or whatever WR they take in the sixth round 9_9

He can play dual roles and I think there is a reason why he signed with Detroit over NE.

Hes still a football player. He can still provide valuable insight into the team.

Similar to Suggs signing with Arizona. Ya he gets paid and he’ll hit the field but there’s a reason why a 40 yr old LB signed with the worst team in the league. To provide a presence and jumpstart a post NFL career.

27 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

He's still a great player and will add to the wr core... and yes help young and up and coming wr's core even Golladay will be taking note form a former superbowl winner.

Welllll I mean he’s mediocre and more football smart than talented.

but I see what you are saying.

2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

That's definitely not what anyone said. I think my original post on the matter was super vague.

I was saying that Amendola on a 1 year is a decent deal. His on field performance is pretty average, but he'll help in far more facets than just his personal production. I fully expect him to be the starting slot. Were it just for his on field production, I'd be a bit down on this deal. Since it involves more than just his on field production, I'm fine with it. I'm certainly good with replacing Tate with him on this deal. Tate wasn't exactly suited for the slot and he always seemed like a bit of a crybaby, mostly from his body language.

With Amendola we have 4 good receivers. 5 if we bring TJ back. Because of this and significant holes elsewhere, I don't think we draft a receiver early. Anyone we draft right now would be a bit of a late round stash. I'd prefer to just bring TJ back regardless of his lack of production thus far.

Whomever signs Glover Quin will likely be doing it for the same reasons that we signed Amendola. They need a bit of production for a short period of time, and they have a bunch of young guys they're grooming to whom Quin's guidance will be invaluable.

Archived