Mock draft talk

buno67

This isn’t a thread to post your mock drafts but a thread to talk about the mock drafts posted by NFL writers, popular sports guys you like/respect, and etc!

post what you find and what you like or dislike. 

Dane Bugler for the athletic posted his updated mock draft today 

17. Cleveland Browns – Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson (6-3 1/4, 315, 5.04)
The Browns need to add depth on the defensive line, especially the interior. Wilkins can be inconsistent vs. the run, but his quickness, body flexibility and ball awareness allow him to make plays in the backfield. He would be a natural fit as the three-technique next to Larry Ogunjobi at the nose.”

I like the idea of Wilkins and he is prolly the #1 guy I want because he is the most realistic option. He had Devin White going #5, Sweat going #8,  Oliver going #14. 

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

The Browns need to add depth on the defensive line, especially the interior. Wilkins can be inconsistent vs. the run, but his quickness, body flexibility and ball awareness allow him to make plays in the backfield. He would be a natural fit as the three-technique next to Larry Ogunjobi at the nose.”

I like the idea of Wilkins and he is prolly the #1 guy I want because he is the most realistic option. He had Devin White going #5, Sweat going #8,  Oliver going #14. 

At this point in the off-season, shouldn't the guys getting paid for it be able to post more than first round mocks?

8 hours ago, buno67 said:

There's a lot of people on here and draft media that love Christian Wilkins. You're definitely not alone in your assessment.

Did you have any particular "stand-out" games for Wilkins?

I'm trying to understand which games people are watching that have them thinking Wilkins is their #1 guy.

I didn't see 1st round caliber or impact player power play, speed to power conversion, heavy hands, violent hands, understanding of leverage, out of stance explosion, pushing of the pocket, no knock back of the pocket, collapsing of the pocket, doesn't use quickness for one-gap penetration disruption, ...

I saw hustle, high motor, elite chase and run for a DT, quickness to split and win with a swim or arm over, relentless effort/passion, elite endurance for a DT.

I've heard even more good stuff about him as a culture contributor and worker.

That to me is a good player with a  mid-2nd to late 2ndd round value. That's not even close to the 17th overall pick in the 1st which needs to be a high quality impact starter by year 2. I don't see serious impact quality from Wilkins on the field.

I'm really trying to figure it out... what am I missing? What games did I mis-evaluate?

30 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

There's a lot of people on here and draft media that love Christian Wilkins. You're definitely not alone in your assessment.

I'm trying to understand which games people are watching that have them thinking Wilkins is their #1 guy.

I didn't see 1st round caliber or impact player power play, speed to power conversion, heavy hands, violent hands, understanding of leverage, out of stance explosion, pushing of the pocket, no knock back of the pocket, collapsing of the pocket, doesn't use quickness for one-gap penetration disruption, ...

I saw hustle, high motor, elite chase and run for a DT, quickness to split and win with a swim or arm over, relentless effort/passion, elite endurance for a DT.

I've heard even more good stuff about him as a culture contributor and worker.

That to me is a good player with a  mid-2nd to late 2ndd round value. That's not even close to the 17th overall pick in the 1st which needs to be a high quality impact starter by year 2. I don't see serious impact quality from Wilkins on the field.

I'm really trying to figure it out... what am I missing? What games did I mis-evaluate?

Two bits of film in particular.

This peaked my “interest”

giphy.gif 

This sealed the deal

GleefulRaggedAquaticleech-size_restricte 

Change my mind.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Alabama. Ohio State.

He's a stud at just about everything despite not having any elite physical trait. He's a star. I love how he knifes through blocks and gets skinny to evade double teams. He screws up blocking schemes with his savvy more than any other DL in this class. He might not explode into backfields like Oliver or bench press C's into the QB like Quinnen Williams, but he's more technically sound than either guy and hustles on every single snap.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He probably won't be. I have him as my #4 rated player right now.

Somebody that shouldn’t be there is going to be there at 4 

At the end of the day we have that. Worst case we get our top Corner top receiver or Jeffery Simmons 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Two bits of film in particular.

This peaked my “interest”

giphy.gif 

This sealed the deal

GleefulRaggedAquaticleech-size_restricte 

Change my mind.

Elite post; however, per white knight rules, I have to ask if he legit sexually assaulted the guy in the first gif (and the ground in the second gif).

Is there any Michael Sam stuff going around about Wilkins?

3. Christian Wilkins, Defensive Interior, Clemson

3-Wilkins.jpeg

Few were as disruptive as Wilkins in 2018 and perhaps the only man who truly was is just above him on this list. Wilkins finished with the third-highest pass-rush grade and run-defense grade as he was equally impressive in both facets for the Tigers during their 15-0 season. Arguably the most enticing figure for the big man as he prepares for the next step of his football playing career was the fact that he recorded 46 QB pressures, 39 defensive stops, 36 solo tackles and did so with missing just one single tackle attempt this year.

He is ranked 3 behind Quinnen Williams and Kyler Murray on PFF top 101 players.  

For comparison Ed Oliver is 8th on the list and Jeffery Simmons 14th.

Jerry Tillery ranked 15th.

Archived