Mock draft talk

buno67

12 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He probably won't be. I have him as my #4 rated player right now.

#4 for the Browns or your #4 player overall?

Overall...is... pure... utter.. madness.

Daniel Jeremiah is similarly crazy on Wilkins as well. You guys have lost it on that eval imo, or I just don't know how to evaluate defensive lineman anymore... who knows anymore.

41 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Alabama. Ohio State.

No funny business, I honestly think you have Carlos Watkins and Christian Wilkins mixed up for the OSU game. I've done that before when scouting them last year. I had a note and asterisk/smiley face in my notebook about it.

I've watched that game three times (once for watkins last year, once for wilkins this year, and once for ferrell this year), Watkins was all over the place with plays and production. Christian Wilkins actually was solely used as a Defensive End going up against Isaiah Prince. The dline lineup that got the most snaps was Austin Bryant, Carlos Watkins, Dexter Lawrence, and Clelin Ferrell. 

Wilkins didn't really do anything in that game.

As for the Bama game, he made a few plays, but mostly he was dominated by a Guard to the point where I was like "who is this long athletic guard handling wilkins"? Turns out it was sophomore Alex Leatherwood who's probably going to be a top 15 pick whenever he comes out.

I had 5 plays charted as pluses that game for wilkins and they were all against the Center not his primary matchup mostly; 1.) A swim arm over penetration qb pressure early in the game, 2.) A run down line pursuit clean tackle, 3.) An arm over get skinny penetration, 4.) A lateral penetration on the goal line for a big play, and 5.) a QB hit late game by beating terrible technique Center.

His splashes were good... the goalline play was great... but none of it is impact starter caliber 1st round type of stuff.  He had a lot more negatives imo.

There's levels to this thing:

VS.

50 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

3. Christian Wilkins, Defensive Interior, Clemson

3-Wilkins.jpeg

Few were as disruptive as Wilkins in 2018 and perhaps the only man who truly was is just above him on this list. Wilkins finished with the third-highest pass-rush grade and run-defense grade as he was equally impressive in both facets for the Tigers during their 15-0 season. Arguably the most enticing figure for the big man as he prepares for the next step of his football playing career was the fact that he recorded 46 QB pressures, 39 defensive stops, 36 solo tackles and did so with missing just one single tackle attempt this year.

He is ranked 3 behind Quinnen Williams and Kyler Murray on PFF top 101 players.  

For comparison Ed Oliver is 8th on the list and Jeffery Simmons 14th.

Jerry Tillery ranked 15th.

Cool looking infographic and I love the pretty numbers...

PFF had Clemson CB Cordrea Tankersley as their number 1 CB then number 2 CB later on and a 1st rounder in 2017 based of all sorts of supposed quantitative analyses regarding CB play.

There were many similar infographics and statistics about his play. I broke down how their lack of a sound traditional scouting analysis lens caused them to miscode/mischart Tankersly from a quantitative analysis perspective (i.e., counting plays where the ball bounced off the back of his helmet while he panicked with no clue of where the ball was as a Pass Breakup/Defense, Coding Drops by WRs as PDs... but even worse the breakdown of his play traits qualitatively (i.e., how stiff is he in his transition, what's his awareness like, ball in air contest instincts, etc) was non-existent when deciding where the player should be ranked.

When it comes to QBs they mischart pressures and catchable passes...

Who's doing the film watching and analysis and what are they looking at when it comes to college players.

Once I started questioning who does what and found out some of their personnel on the college eval side vs the pro side of things, I don't really trust their college prospect evaluation for certain positions especially. They do a better job on the pro-side of things and outsource trusted people that use traditional scouting analysis (to be fair though they haven't always done so).

All in all they still provide a good resource for the layperson to have common data points about players to discuss, agree, and disagree about.

back on topic

2018 Mock Draft Accuracy Standings

Top 10 Mocks – Overall Leaderboard*
 Rank  Expert
 1.  Scott Smith – RotoViz
 2.  Walter Cherepinsky – Walter Football
 3.  Evan Silva – Rotoworld
 4.  Ken Zalis – Pressbox
 5.  Nick Mariano – RotoBaller
 6.  Kevin Hanson – EDSFootball
 7.  Jody Smith – FantasyPros
 8.  Mike Mayock – NFL.com
 9.  Rob Rang – NFL Draft Scout
10  Brendan Donahue – EDSFootball

for future references when it comes to 2019.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Overall. I think he's going to be that good. 

Oliver

Bosa

Hockenson

Wilkins

Q. Williams

Williams has a higher ceiling, but Wilkins is far more polished to me.

wait what?

I know I got Deshone Kizer wrong

but Oliver over Bosa?

Wilkins over Williams?

Hockensen over Williams?

that look funny to me 

Archived