2019 Draft Interest

soflbillsfan

13 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Daniel Jeremiah has said the Bills covet Jonah Williams and that he has heard that from several people around the league. Wind the clocks back a year and he was one of the first to publicly link the Bills to Josh Allen.

Draft Analyst Tony Pauline echoed this statement and added that Andre Dillard and Ed Oliver are also in the mix should they be available. He also said the Bills are a team who view Williams as a LT (Many pundits still believe Dawkins is a better fit at G or RT).

Here is the article: https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-its-a-three-horse-race-for-buffalo-bills-first-round-pick-report.html

Im not buying any of this. Yes last year he linked Josh Allen, but if they landed Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold someone else would be right. I think its all a guessing game and easy to link a QB to a QB needy team like the bills. Beane and McDermott have clearly been a tight lip through every single signing, cut, trade etc came out when it was done. So these people guessing Jonah Williams, Dillard or Oliver as front runners is a mere guess with out any actual factual evidence. To much can happen from now until pick 9 is on the clock. Keep in mind Corey Davis, and Mike Williams were linked to the bills, not to mention a qb possibility in 2017 draft, yet no one had them trading down and no one could have guessed Tre White being the pick with other options available at the time.  Even if Dawkins is seen as a better guard or RT they signed Ty to a 2 year deal and he has played LT in Washington, so if Dawkins is on the move I dont see them rushing to get a tackle at 9 unless its BPA. The bills have set themselves up nicely on the oline that they can move players around. I could see  any of these combos being the starter this year without having to draft one at 9:

LT Dawkins/Ty
LG Spain/Dawkins
C Mitch Morse (only one who doesnt move), Long (backup)
RG Long/Feliciano
RT Ty/Dawkins/Waddle

Not to mention other guys who were on the roster in bodine, ducasse, and McDermott....Plus the 30+ mil they still have in cap space

Beane maybe hasn't said anything but you're being naive if you think scouts and personnel men aren't talking this time of year. As well as agents and coaches from teams. It may be a guess but its an educated guess based off of information they are getting and their own research. 

Last year as an example, the Bills had 0 credentialed scouted games at Wyoming. But guys like Jeremiah and Benjamin Allbright had the Bills linked to Allen because they knew (from someone relaying the info to them) that the Bills flew to Wyoming to meet with coaches several times and worked Allen out there Privately more than once, with the final time Terry and Kim Pegula making the trip. That is something that wasn't well known until after he was drafted. 

55 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Beane maybe hasn't said anything but you're being naive if you think scouts and personnel men aren't talking this time of year. As well as agents and coaches from teams. It may be a guess but its an educated guess based off of information they are getting and their own research. 

Last year as an example, the Bills had 0 credentialed scouted games at Wyoming. But guys like Jeremiah and Benjamin Allbright had the Bills linked to Allen because they knew (from someone relaying the info to them) that the Bills flew to Wyoming to meet with coaches several times and worked Allen out there Privately more than once, with the final time Terry and Kim Pegula making the trip. That is something that wasn't well known until after he was drafted. 

They went to some games and they did go to some in 2017 but that was whaleys group of people in 17, also they spoke to him at the combine, spoke to him at the pro day and had a private work out with him, and then brought him to buffalo a week before the draft so signs of him going to the bills were high at the time.Albright and others simply linked a qb needy team and a qb being looked at more then once to guess it. We all see what is going on and linking someone they have met with and assume its happening , personnel and scouts may leak information but they also leak a lot of incorrect information. This is a form of poker no way are these hands being shown at this time. Anything is up in the air at this point. Agents are going to of course say their client is being talked about by any team that is linked to them as they are selling a product which is that player. Im not going to say that those 3 will be the pick at 9, neither Jonah or Dillard were a pre draft visit either as of yet. Even if you are happy with what you saw you still want to spend more time with them other then the limited amount you have at the combine and pro day visits. I also think going oline is a mistake at 9, they focused all of their offseason so far on offense and have major holes long term along that dline. If they sit back and wait until next year to address it then they are just doing the same thing they did this year a year later. The draft is top heavy with defensive players and they should take advantage of a top pass rusher or DT that will be there for 3+ years. We will see less than 2 weeks away, ready for it to be over and know who we got.

Edited by soflbillsfan

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

They went to some games

They didn't. It was well documented that the Bills had zero credentialed scouts at Wyoming which is why most fans didn't believe he could possibly be there target.

also they spoke to him at the combine, spoke to him at the pro day and had a private work out with him, and then brought him to buffalo a week before the draft

They literally did this with every QB. Including Mason Rudolph. I saw zero reports of people saying "this is the Bills guy" for any of those QB's other than Peter Schrager admitting he is guessing its Darnold.

Albright and others simply linked a qb needy team and a qb being looked at more then once to guess it.

Not really sure why you're being purposely naive or ignorant about this. The Bills aren't some secret agency with top notch level clearance. They have leaks and to suggest otherwise or that its simply someone guessing is pretty laughable. Jeremiah alone had connections to Castillo and Daboll who would have been heavily in the know last season. This year is no different.

I also think going oline is a mistake at 9, they focused all of their offseason so far on offense and have major holes long term along that dline. If they sit back and wait until next year to address it then they are just doing the same thing they did this year a year later. The draft is top heavy with defensive players and they should take advantage of a top pass rusher or DT that will be there for 3+ years. We will see less than 2 weeks away, ready for it to be over and know who we got.

They should go BPA no matter what really. No position on this team has entrenched starters (other than Allen and Edmunds because of draft status). Spain, Long, Ty and Feliciano are all just guys for the most. None on real long term deals and none of them should prevent the Bills from going OL if that is what they feel is the BPA.

Jonah Williams can play T/G/C which is likely why he is so coveted.

I could see the Bills drafting him to play Guard this year while seeing what they got with Ty Nsekhe at T, with Jonah eventually being kicked out. We got to keep in mind Long, Spain and Feliciano are coming off of bad years

35 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Jonah Williams can play T/G/C which is likely why he is so coveted.

I could see the Bills drafting him to play Guard this year while seeing what they got with Ty Nsekhe at T, with Jonah eventually being kicked out. We got to keep in mind Long, Spain and Feliciano are coming off of bad years

Long switched teams when he was with the skins he was playing fairly well then went to the jets and got stuck with players struggling around him. As for Spain yes his run blocking took a hit but his pass blocking was above average and only allowed 1 sack while having 5 penalties for the year. All and all i would expect Spain to be the LG starter this year which is why I think Jonah should be passed on by the bills and focus on landing one during day 2 or 3..Bills do not have a startling 3 tech DT as Jordan Phillips is a rotational guy at the position, nor a LDE as murphy and shaq have not proven to be starters and have been more of rotational guys who are getting the opportunity to start and neither proved they can get the job done. Bills spent the money on oline this FA and they should see what they have with them not to mention they brought they drafted teller last year and he was serviceable and needs time to develop. If ty is the starter at LT then Dawkins should be the starter at RT with spain and teller/long/feliciano battling out at RG or back up Guard.

56 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I would also like to point out that I, nor anything I posted said these are 100% the guys. A lot can change in two weeks but the reality is their boards are set and everything else from now until the draft is laying out variables and trade options.

i know your not saying those were the guys, im just saying that this is typical smoke screen material. I just dont see the point of grabbing Olineman at 9 when your ignoring the strong part of your team which need holes to fill short term and longterm at DT and LDE

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

i know your not saying those were the guys, im just saying that this is typical smoke screen material. I just dont see the point of grabbing Olineman at 9 when your ignoring the strong part of your team which need holes to fill short term and longterm at DT and LDE

You can find a starting 3T and DE in round 2 and 3. You would be hardpressed to find a starting OL after pick 50. Oliver is still my top choice if he is there but if he is gone, I think every position should be in play. Certainly including LT

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

The #Bills held a private workout with #Iowa tight end Noah Fant at the end of March per source. #BillsMafia

I’d be about it if he falls to us in round 2.

I still think my dream scenario is trade back get more picks and take Hockenson. 

17 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I’d be about it if he falls to us in round 2.

I still think my dream scenario is trade back get more picks and take Hockenson. 

I would put money on him going before Hockenson then i would him falling to round 2.

But I am with you, my dream is to trade back and take Metcalf. Assuming Oliver is gone.

42 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I would put money on him going before Hockenson then i would him falling to round 2.

But I am with you, my dream is to trade back and take Metcalf. Assuming Oliver is gone.

i think Metcalf ends up going in the late 1st rd or even 2nd round. Yes he is a physical specimen, and has speed but is still far to raw to take him early in the 1st rd. Im a fan of Harry as he has good hands, runs routes fairlywell and can play any wr position. I think he is the most ready WR in the draft. Im a fan of Hockenson and wouldnt mind him in the mid 1st rd with picking up a 2nd rd if sweat, oliver and white are off the board. Wilkins and burns would be other trade back options but i havent heard the bills with wilkins or hockenson showing interest.

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

i think Metcalf ends up going in the late 1st rd or even 2nd round. Yes he is a physical specimen, and has speed but is still far to raw to take him early in the 1st rd. Im a fan of Harry as he has good hands, runs routes fairlywell and can play any wr position. I think he is the most ready WR in the draft. Im a fan of Hockenson and wouldnt mind him in the mid 1st rd with picking up a 2nd rd if sweat, oliver and white are off the board. Wilkins and burns would be other trade back options but i havent heard the bills with wilkins or hockenson showing interest.

John Ross went top 10 with one year of production and being strictly a speed guy. Metcalf may be seen as a one trick pony but his trick is a damn good one. I would be shocked if he wasn't a first round pick. Only red flag is a neck injury that he has been cleared from and he is a 3rd generation player.

I have never understood the love for Harry. Hands are very good but his speed is average and he couldn't separate against college CBs. I don't think he fits the mold the Bills are looking to go at WR.