Raiders sign LT/RT Trent Brown (4 years, $66 M)

RaidersAreOne

For those wondering how Brown fits Cables' scheme: The Raiders ran a lot less outside zone stuff toward the end of the season once Martin took over. The Brown signing might be a good indication that the Raiders will look to run in between the tackles more in 2019.

Also, unless you've watched tape on Brown last season, I don't know how well he moves his frame in space and it's improper to assume he can't just based on his size.

I don't like this signing.

We signed a huge guy to play in a ZBS scheme. We might use more inside zone then outside zone, but still Gruden and his scheme needs a ZBS scheme and Brown is a pretty questional fit IMO.

I need to see where he plays. If LT then I think we are pretty much screwed. I mean they could have put Miller at RT last year with Penn at LT if that is Miller's best spot. They talked him up as our LT of the future and let him struggle all year there. He had trouble in college swithing sides, so it is not that great plan to make him switch again IMO.

If he is a RT, then we pay LT money to a RT mostly out of desperation...not smart business IMO...

Oh and I can't understand how can people still sign exPats players...they are made in their schemes, systems and usually fail elsewhere...

Edited by Rolni

Maybe we move to a power run scheme?

I mean Denzelle Good returned and after the KO departure he looks like one of our starting OG (still early I know). He is 6'5 345!

Our recent OT signing is 6'8 380!

Gabe Jackson is 6'3 335!

Kolton Miller is 6'8 309 and the number one task for him was to get stronger in the offseason, so I guess he will be around 315-320...

Brandon Parker is 6'7 305 and he also has to put on strength and weight.

Denver Kirkland is 6'5 335 

David Sharpe is 6'6 343 

Jamar McGloster 6'6 319

Cameron Hunt 6'4 305

Rodney Hudson 6'2 300 who by the way looks bigger then that. 

So we are trully a ZBS team? Or we are a PBS team? Sure we are a mix, like most NFL teams, but are we ZBS heavy? Pbs heavy? If ZBS inside or outside zone? 

What is the plan for this unit? 

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

I don't like this signing.

We signed a huge guy to play in a ZBS scheme. We might use more inside zone then outside zone, but still Gruden and his scheme needs a ZBS scheme and Brown is a pretty questional fit IMO.

I need to see where he plays. If LT then I think we are pretty much screwed. I mean they could have put Miller at RT last year with Penn at LT if that is Miller's best spot. They talked him up as our LT of the future and let him struggle all year there. He had trouble in college swithing sides, so it is not that great plan to make him switch again IMO.

If he is a RT, then we pay LT money to a RT mostly out of desperation...not smart business IMO...

Oh and I can't understand how can people still sign exPats players...they are made in their schemes, systems and usually fail elsewhere...

To be fair, I've seen Brown a few times last year with the Pats and he's pretty nimble for a very big man, can really move his feet well and is a very good pass blocker with good technique. I do like the player and think it's a good signing but the $$$ seem like a lot and I'm a little confused as we moved a previously very good servant Penn over to the right last year to shoehorn in a raw rookie at LT who played hurt and now we dump him over to the right. For what it's worth I'd feel reasonably comfortable heading into the season with Brown at LT and Miller at RT.

Seems like total mismanagement last year of the tackle situation. 

5 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

To be fair, I've seen Brown a few times last year with the Pats and he's pretty nimble for a very big man, can really move his feet well and is a very good pass blocker with good technique. I do like the player and think it's a good signing but the $$$ seem like a lot and I'm a little confused as we moved a previously very good servant Penn over to the right last year to shoehorn in a raw rookie at LT who played hurt and now we dump him over to the right. For what it's worth I'd feel reasonably comfortable heading into the season with Brown at LT and Miller at RT.

Seems like total mismanagement last year of the tackle situation. 

Yeah and we still have the same OL coach on board man...can't get over it...

19 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Glad they admitted Miller was a bust at LT and didnt drag it out for years. Even more pissed we drafted a RT over Derwin James....

Scared about Brown. Alot of patriot olinemen dont excell elsewhere 

All that and a bag of MACK chips for me. ARGH!!! Money being tossed around that SHOULD have went to 52 in Silver and Black.

You all seem happy with the Brown's signings. I see a desperate team overpaying because so many players want to play for the Raidaaaassssszzzzz.

Mack was a Defensive MVP in his prime. After not showing him the money the 'word' was we have an owner with no money. So we trade for a soon to be 31 year old WR and give him more money to be happy. We pay the highest OL contract in history

Give me Mack and James over Miller, Brown and Brown. I understand trading Cooper after the season was lost so soon but this stinks of desperation to say 'look we'll show you the money' I haven't even looked at Joyner post but a small safety makes me wish we got James even more...I expect playoff or bust this season since we're not rebuilding with these moves obviously. 

Broken record until we win because I'D LOVE TO EAT SOME CROW if we're winning!!! Bring on the bird so I can shut my mouth!!!ARGH!!!

PS Go Raiders.   LOL 

15 minutes ago, G said:

All that and a bag of MACK chips for me. ARGH!!! Money being tossed around that SHOULD have went to 52 in Silver and Black.

You all seem happy with the Brown's signings. I see a desperate team overpaying because so many players want to play for the Raidaaaassssszzzzz.

Mack was a Defensive MVP in his prime. After not showing him the money the 'word' was we have an owner with no money. So we trade for a soon to be 31 year old WR and give him more money to be happy. We pay the highest OL contract in history

Give me Mack and James over Miller, Brown and Brown. I understand trading Cooper after the season was lost so soon but this stinks of desperation to say 'look we'll show you the money' I haven't even looked at Joyner post but a small safety makes me wish we got James even more...I expect playoff or bust this season since we're not rebuilding with these moves obviously. 

Broken record until we win because I'D LOVE TO EAT SOME CROW if we're winning!!! Bring on the bird so I can shut my mouth!!!ARGH!!!

PS Go Raiders.   LOL 

Well we could be doing what the Bears are doing.  Except, without all the other talent they have.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/12/bears-clear-cap-room-with-khalil-mack-restructure/

Edited by true2form

28 minutes ago, G said:

PS Go Raiders.   LOL 

Or you could look at it as a team using the money they saved by not paying one player a huge amount of money to sign multiple guys to make us a better overall team. We were able to land an all pro, best at his position (though a little older he also plays a position that might be able to play longer at a high level), a pro bowl caliber LT, or a pro bowl caliber safety, and their signing bonuses are less than what we would have paid one man. I loved Khalil, hes an all timer, it sucked to see him leave, but how much was he changing what happened last year? Is he worth an extra win or two? Possibly, but we still weren't a contender. 

I also dont understand how we arent building for the future, now that Mack and Cooper are gone there isnt anyone left due for a big payday at this very moment, so the money being spent is only paying these guys for a couple years of guaranteed money. The chest of draft picks over the next two years are whats going to be used to rebuild over the long haul. These signings don't prevent that in the slightest. If these guys arenr producing in a year or two, or more realistically 3 or 4 when this draft class could have guys due for an extension we cut or dont resign when their contracts are up. Regardless of the draft being the best way to build long term, even the best teams at that sign guys in free agency. We paid a lot of momey, but we had it to spend and its not at the expense of anyone currently on the team. You can build in the long term and sign some free agents, the fact that 3 of them (including Hankins) are 28 or younger shows the priority was still on guys that can contribute for a number of years, not just next year, but we obviously would like to be as competitive as possible before a relocation to a new city (and we should all want competitive anyway). Grudens idea is that the added cap space plus 3 first round picks and change was going to make this team a contender more so than Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper. Time will tell if that strategy was the correct ones, but these signings to me show that there was possibly a plan from the start. Brown helps a lot and we couldnt know wed be able to trade for him but the cap space and extra picks certainly made that a possiblity. The draft will determine our long term outlook, the trade and free agent signings help more in the short term but they still have the ability to contribute in a few years. Trading Mack doesnt mean we have to suck for multiple years, their idea was it would take away one elite plauer but help us field a better overall team. Gruden was betting one Khalil Mack extension wasnt going to make us a contender. And I think he was right. What he does with the space and picks will determine if he was able to pull off the theory behind moving him. 

• Like 1

In all seriousness, have the signings we made so far this off-season added up to Mack from a guaranteed money perspective? Estimations:

Mack got 91ish

A Brown 31ish, T Brown 37, Joyner 21ish

Not to mention Cooper who would/will command 40+. Enough with harping on Mack, seriously it's getting pathetic.

Edited by justwinbaby81
  • Like 3

It's safe to say picking Miller over Derwin James last year was an official disaster. Most fans were clamoring for the no brainer pick of James. And now the "LT" we drafted is already a rough reach, at RT now and after a year full of terrible play, injuries notwithstanding. As long as this team makes moves anything like this, the dysfunction can be considered to be continual.

30 minutes ago, holyghost said:

It's safe to say picking Miller over Derwin James last year was an official disaster. Most fans were clamoring for the no brainer pick of James. And now the "LT" we drafted is already a rough reach, at RT now and after a year full of terrible play, injuries notwithstanding. As long as this team makes moves anything like this, the dysfunction can be considered to be continual.

It's uncomfortable but you are probably right!

I feel a little for Miller as he was a very raw prospect, thrown in at the deep end with a team in turmoil and playing through injury (which is a credit to him) and then come the offseason he's booted out to the other side without even seeming to get a fair crack. I agree with the point you're making here Holyghost but we've totally mismanaged the tackle situation and Miller hasn't been helped by our ineptitude at all. Hopefully a rough year and a full TC can polish him up a little and he'll be a mainstay at RT for the next decade.........I'm not entirely confident of that though :/

2 hours ago, G said:

PS Go Raiders.   LOL 

If we didn't draft Parker and Miller, how much worse would our line have been?  If they were the best we had, we avoided the death of DC on the field.  We would've had over 70 sacks without them.  You have to keep thinking, the two picks for Mack haven't even played for us yet.  The 25+ million we saved annually, helped bring in 3 good/great role players.  We brought in players that produced at high levels just recently.  OT Brown was the best OT in the playoffs last season, L. Joyner is a pretty good safety and was the highest graded defensive player on the Rams after their DT (can't think of his name right now).  AB finished with 15 TDs last season while only playing 15 games!  Trading K. Mack gave us three starters and 2 first round picks (another 2 starters), so in essence, we traded K. Mack for 5 starters. Relax man, relax. Regarding D. James, it's history, leave it alone. We all know what happened, move on.

Has anyone seen any news on the position Brown will be playing? RT or LT? I struggle to think Gruden would give up on Miller at LT after one season, the kid if anything showed heart and toughness, and I would like to see him being able to compete for the spot after a full offseason of gaining strength.  

Not because I'm oblivious to how poorly he played last season, but because I hate to give up on 1st Round pick after 1 season. Even if he was a huge reach I want the kid to succeed with us.