Raiders sign LT/RT Trent Brown (4 years, $66 M)

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

Has anyone seen any news on the position Brown will be playing? RT or LT? I struggle to think Gruden would give up on Miller at LT after one season, the kid if anything showed heart and toughness, and I would like to see him being able to compete for the spot after a full offseason of gaining strength.  

Not because I'm oblivious to how poorly he played last season, but because I hate to give up on 1st Round pick after 1 season. Even if he was a huge reach I want the kid to succeed with us.

I saw one reporter, Vic tufar may be?, saying don't just pencil in brown to lt yet.

With the des in our division, rts need to be paid too, was his point.

I think they'll have an open camp battle.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, true2form said:

Well we could be doing what the Bears are doing.  Except, without all the other talent they have.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/12/bears-clear-cap-room-with-khalil-mack-restructure/

If the Bears dont win a SB and with that piece of garbage QB they have they wont, what will the Mack signing have done for them?  They have a 3 or 4 year window to win before Mack starts to regress.  

No one cares about 2nd place and I can assure you they wont win a SB as long as trashbinski is the QB.  If Mack can't bring them the Lombardi trophy was the move good for them considering they traded away 2 first round draft picks?

29 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If the Bears dont win a SB and with that piece of garbage QB they have they wont, what will the Mack signing have done for them?  They have a 3 or 4 year window to win before Mack starts to regress.  

No one cares about 2nd place and I can assure you they wont win a SB as long as trashbinski is the QB.  If Mack can't bring them the Lombardi trophy was the move good for them considering they traded away 2 first round draft picks

Well I'm glad you agree with me then? ?????

Just now, true2form said:

Well I'm glad you agree with me then? ?????

Mack is an elite talent, there is no denying that.  I have always been in the camp that Mack would have hamstrung this team with his salary and that trading him was a good idea.  He has a 3 or 4 year window of elite play left and the Raiders would have never contended for a SB in that 3 or 4 year time frame considering that both Mack and Carr would have taken up about 30 percent of our cap.  This team was so devoid of talent, especially young talent that keeping Mack would not have been the best move for the franchise. 

However, I was never satisfied with the compensation we received, that was disappointing.  I feel like we could have gotten more.  

1 minute ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Mack is an elite talent, there is no denying that.  I have always been in the camp that Mack would have hamstrung this team with his salary and that trading him was a good idea.  He has a 3 or 4 year window of elite play left and the Raiders would have never contended for a SB in that 3 or 4 year time frame considering that both Mack and Carr would have taken up about 30 percent of our cap.  This team was so devoid of talent, especially young talent that keeping Mack would not have been the best move for the franchise. 

However, I was never satisfied with the compensation we received, that was disappointing.  I feel like we could have gotten more.  

Well that was my point, if not clear. The Bears are exactly where we would be if we had kept him. Restructuring his deal to have any cap space to try to add players. They just have a way better roster as a whole going into this off-season. Although they're already losing players like Amos and Callahan.

I just don't understand how people can't see that still. If we kept Mack, there is no Brown, Brown, or Joyner on this team. We probably still have Coop too. Mack was the first domino in a long list of things. Being cap strapped and still being a 6-10 team is where we would be if we had kept Mack. Period. Grrrr, lol.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, true2form said:

Well that was my point, if not clear. The Bears are exactly where we would be if we had kept him. Restructuring his deal to have any cap space to try to add players. They just have a way better roster as a whole going into this off-season. Although they're already losing players like Amos and Callahan.

I just don't understand how people can't see that still. If we kept Mack, there is no Brown, Brown, or Joyner on this team. We probably still have Coop too. Mack was the first domino in a long list of things. Being cap strapped and still being a 6-10 team is where we would be if we had kept Mack. Period. Grrrr, lol.

Playing Devils advocate Raiders had over 70 million in cap space right  . If Mack is here take away what 23 mil . Maybe not signing Joyner, brown and brown but two Of three would of been doable no ?

30 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Playing Devils advocate Raiders had over 70 million in cap space right  . If Mack is here take away what 23 mil . Maybe not signing Joyner, brown and brown but two Of three would of been doable no ?

Correct. Odds are we don't trade Coop either if we keep Mack. There's 14 mill this year, no spot for AB, and we still would have to deal with signing Coop to an extension.

Just Mack and Coop would have been half our cap, without extending Coop. Then you take away the extra picks, but we still would pay x amount for our draft picks. Not certain, but let's say 8 mill. We are then down to around 25 mill to start with. Resign our guys, tender rfas, cuts, trades, etc. Then we could look at other free agents. 

No matter how you slice it. Trading Mack was the right choice financially. Only time will tell if either team is successful, but I don't see how we would be improving our 6-10 roster without the cap space and draft picks from those trades.

On 11/03/2019 at 5:41 PM, BayRaider said:

The thing here is this guy was just above average in SF, went to NE and was a Top 5-10 T but had the best OL coach in the game. Now he comes to by far the worst OL coach in football. It’s a very real possibility he might be average. I definitely am hoping for the best though. 

The best offseason move even more than AB/Brown would be to fire Tom Cable IMO. Instantly gives us like two extra wins. 

Plus an all time great QB who gets the ball out quickly and makes decisions very fast. It's a worry for sure, especially when you're paying him a record contract but he is a good player and a young player who has some good years ahead of him. 

Does anyone in the forum want Cable to remain as OL coach? I don't think the forum as whole has ever been this united in any opinion :D

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Plus an all time great QB who gets the ball out quickly and makes decisions very fast. It's a worry for sure, especially when you're paying him a record contract but he is a good player and a young player who has some good years ahead of him. 

Does anyone in the forum want Cable to remain as OL coach? I don't think the forum as whole has ever been this united in any opinion :D

Carr also has a very quick release and with Brown in the mix he might throw to the WRs more. 

Yeah no one likes Cable, what really sucks is even when the Raiders sucked post Al Davis, they still had good oline coaches in Sparano and Tice. Cable hasn’t coached a good offense line in over 10 years.