Bears Create More Cap Space, Restructure Goldman

soulman

Bears create more cap space by restructuring Eddie Goldman's contract

usatsi_11820152.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

355 shares
tweet
email

By: Lorin Cox | 3 hours ago

Ryan Pace is gearing up for the start of free agency.

The Chicago Bears are among the teams with the lowest salary cap space this offseason, but the general manager is working to give himself a little more wiggle room.

The Bears agreed to restructure the contract of Eddie Goldman, converting a roster bonus into a signing bonus to free up salary cap space in 2019.

Field YatesVerified account @FieldYates

Source: in advance of free agency, the Bears have created $2.25M in cap space by converting the $3M roster bonus due to DT Eddie Goldman this Friday into a signing bonus. Extra money to work with.

5:30 AM - 11 Mar 2019

Goldman signed a four-year, $42 million extension back in September to lock him in the middle of the defense long term.

The restructuring doesn’t change how much money the Bears are paying their nose tackle, it just changed when that money will count against the salary cap.

It’s a tricky game Pace is playing to try and clear some space this offseason, because every restructure just pushes that salary to a future year when it will have to be paid eventually.

The Bears appear to be all in on pushing for a championship in 2019, and that could bring some excitement to free agency, even if the cap space is limited.

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Leveon Bell would be fun, but my guess would be Earl Thomas, Golden Tate (cheap) or a Dee Ford trade

Wow Dee Ford and Mack would be scary.  Maybe Berry if he is cut?  

I really don't think you guys need Bell, Cohen is great at a lot of the things that make Bell special.  

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

Wow Dee Ford and Mack would be scary.  Maybe Berry if he is cut?  

I really don't think you guys need Bell, Cohen is great at a lot of the things that make Bell special.  

I could see Berry but I'd be terrified of his durability

6 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Any ideas who you think you guys are clearing cap space for?  

Could be a combination of things as opposed to one big signing.

The most obvious would be another RB so much like Pace rebuilt the receiver core last year this year it's RB especially since he locked down the OL.  Ingram or Coleman make more sense than Bell.

We still need another Edge Rusher so I'm guessing Pace is kicking some tires there.

And an off the wall possibility is he makes a run at Gostkowski to lock up a top PK.

FWIW Bears now showing $24 mil and change in cap space.   My hunch is still telling me not a single big signing but several smaller ones.

Chicago Bears Cap Totals

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Sorry to roll in here uneducated, but has Callallahan actually signed anywhere else? 

Nothing yet but if we were still in the hunt don't believe Pace would have signed Skrine.

One rumor had six team bidding for him so he may be playing that out.  With the kind of money being tossed around he may have a choice of whose money he wants to take.  After seeing what Amos got ya' gotta think he's looking at that much as well if not more.

I think this money freed up is more to add depth, not to splash on one big name. We still to add a safety, OLB, WR, maybe another RB, maybe TE, maybe OG. Then still have a bit of cap left for the draft and for wiggle room during the season. I would be doing cartwheels for weeks if we sign Bell but I'm not keeping my hopes up for him or any other big player.

Archived