2019 Mock Offseason (Stage 2 - FA)

e16bball

This mock FA will rely on my determination that with 5 moves (cut S. McGee, cut M. Foster, cut Z. Brown, cut V. Davis, re-sign B. Scherff to extension), the Redskins could create up to about $33M in cap space going into free agency.

FA Signings:

1. Sign ILB CJ Mosley to 5 year, $54M contract with $22M guaranteed. This contract would allow Mosley to become the 2nd-highest-paid ILB in the league, by both total value and AAV on paper, but is in reality a fair amount of fluff. I would expect it to look something like a 3/$27M deal with some big cap numbers in the last two seasons that would function as a team option after year 3 -- they would either cut him or re-do the deal to keep him longer-term. It's a substantial commitment to an off-ball LB, but I think he fits this team very well, with his Bama pedigree and intelligence/leadership qualities. He's the perfect player to pair with Reuben Foster to maximize that investment. Year 1 Cap Cost: $8.5M.

2. Sign S Tashaun Gipson to 3 year, $15M contract with $7M guaranteed. By all accounts, he's been a solid, above-average veteran S for the Jaguars since signing a big FA contract a few years ago. He was a surprising cut, and he joined a glut of FA safeties on the market. He would provide the Redskins with a well-rounded option at the position -- he's not really a true center-fielder or a true hammer in the box, but he gives you the ability to do both pretty well. A good fit for what they generally look to do with the cover two man schemes they likely want to employ. Because he was cut, he wouldn't cost us a comp pick. Year 1 Cap Cost:$4.1M.

3. Sign S Tre Boston to 3 year, $11M contract with $7M guaranteed. This is a guy I've always been really high on, he just stands out on tape. He's really good in coverage, and he isn't afraid to stick his nose in and make a hit either. He's a high-energy guy (and some teams may be turned off by that somewhat Swearinger-esque persona), but I think he and Gipson would make a really solid pairing. Especially in terms of coverage ability. Earlier today, PFF named him one of their likely "best bargains" of FA, and I agree. Year 1 Cap Cost: $3.0M.

4. Sign EDGE Markus Golden to 1 year, $3M deal. A classic "prove it" deal for a guy who couldn't get back into form last season after an ACL injury in 2017. The Cardinals tried to force him into a 4-3 DE position, and it did not go well. Prior to injury, though, he put up 12.5 sacks from a 3-4 OLB spot and showed very natural pass-rush skills. I think he's worth a gamble in FA -- we need a pass-rush type to pair with Ryan Anderson, and if Golden returns to pre-injury form, he's a steal. Could either be extended or produce a comp pick. Year 1 Cap Cost: $3.0M.

5. Sign TE James O'Shaugnessy to 2 year, $3M contract with $1M guaranteed. This is a guy who was a really good athlete coming out of a small school in the draft; he was considered a bit of a "basketball" TE, but his blocking needed work. Fast forward a couple seasons and he's considered at least a decent blocker (with high effort) and he still has that athleticism. I think he started breaking out a bit last season before the Jags' passing game went in the toilet. I'd let he and Sprinkle battle it out for the #2 TE spot. Year 1 Cap Cost: $1.3M..

After those signings, we would have about $13M remaining in cap room. I would still look to stay in contact with WR Jamison Crowder, as I'd like to re-sign him -- but not if he's pushing up towards $9M as Dan Graziano suggested on ESPN. If they could keep him in the fold for something more like $7M AAV (I'm thinking 4/$28M), I would think long and hard about it. And would be willing to either trade Norman or restructure Kerrigan to free up space to keep him and still sign draft picks.

If the reported Kwon Alexander deal is correct, I suspect we’d need to bump the Mosley offer up to more like 5/65M with more guaranteed. 

I don’t think I would do that. 

I might look long and hard at whether former Eagle Jordan Hicks would fit next to Reuben in the 3-4. If so, he might be the more cost-effective (and well-rounded) option at ILB. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

1. Sign ILB CJ Mosley to 5 year, $54M contract with $22M guaranteed. This contract would allow Mosley to become the 2nd-highest-paid ILB in the league, by both total value and AAV on paper, but is in reality a fair amount of fluff. I would expect it to look something like a 3/$27M deal with some big cap numbers in the last two seasons that would function as a team option after year 3 -- they would either cut him or re-do the deal to keep him longer-term. It's a substantial commitment to an off-ball LB, but I think he fits this team very well, with his Bama pedigree and intelligence/leadership qualities. He's the perfect player to pair with Reuben Foster to maximize that investment. Year 1 Cap Cost: $8.5M.

I'm torn on this.  I don't disagree with the fit or need, but we're kind of pinched on cap space and I think we have bigger needs than this.  Especially since in Stage 1 you traded away Norman and let Haha walk.  Our secondary would currently be a mess.  Overall I don't think he's a bad player so I wouldn't be mad at this move but I wouldn't prioritize him as a signing, and he's your big ticket item.  

2. Sign S Tashaun Gipson to 3 year, $15M contract with $7M guaranteed. By all accounts, he's been a solid, above-average veteran S for the Jaguars since signing a big FA contract a few years ago. He was a surprising cut, and he joined a glut of FA safeties on the market. He would provide the Redskins with a well-rounded option at the position -- he's not really a true center-fielder or a true hammer in the box, but he gives you the ability to do both pretty well. A good fit for what they generally look to do with the cover two man schemes they likely want to employ. Because he was cut, he wouldn't cost us a comp pick. Year 1 Cap Cost:$4.1M.

I would really like this signing.  Seems like a good fit and fills a need.  Your contract doesn't seem unreasonable and with the deep safety market hopefully that suppresses contracts. 

3. Sign S Tre Boston to 3 year, $11M contract with $7M guaranteed. This is a guy I've always been really high on, he just stands out on tape. He's really good in coverage, and he isn't afraid to stick his nose in and make a hit either. He's a high-energy guy (and some teams may be turned off by that somewhat Swearinger-esque persona), but I think he and Gipson would make a really solid pairing. Especially in terms of coverage ability. Earlier today, PFF named him one of their likely "best bargains" of FA, and I agree. Year 1 Cap Cost: $3.0M.

Again, this is another signing I wouldn't flat out hate, but I'd rather go with someone younger at one of the safety spots.  Either try Nicholson out there another year or draft a mid round guy to compete.  I guess one of my concerns is going too heavy with veterans when I don't think we'll realistically be competing next year.  

4. Sign EDGE Markus Golden to 1 year, $3M deal. A classic "prove it" deal for a guy who couldn't get back into form last season after an ACL injury in 2017. The Cardinals tried to force him into a 4-3 DE position, and it did not go well. Prior to injury, though, he put up 12.5 sacks from a 3-4 OLB spot and showed very natural pass-rush skills. I think he's worth a gamble in FA -- we need a pass-rush type to pair with Ryan Anderson, and if Golden returns to pre-injury form, he's a steal. Could either be extended or produce a comp pick. Year 1 Cap Cost: $3.0M.

I like this pick up, a lot better than retaining McPhee which I think you did in Stage 1.  I'd rather roll with a guy like Golden and draft someone athletic in the mid rounds as depth.  This is probably my favorite signing you did.  

5. Sign TE James O'Shaugnessy to 2 year, $3M contract with $1M guaranteed. This is a guy who was a really good athlete coming out of a small school in the draft; he was considered a bit of a "basketball" TE, but his blocking needed work. Fast forward a couple seasons and he's considered at least a decent blocker (with high effort) and he still has that athleticism. I think he started breaking out a bit last season before the Jags' passing game went in the toilet. I'd let he and Sprinkle battle it out for the #2 TE spot. Year 1 Cap Cost: $1.3M..

Would prefer to go with a draft pick here, but after the Iowa boys I don't know how deep this class is at the position.  With the contract you're giving him it wouldn't really matter, we could cut him in camp if need be.  Would be a good signing.  

Looking at what you've done so far my biggest concerns heading into the draft would be the #1 CB position, LG, and probably still ROLB, with secondary concerns at QB, WR, TE, and S.  

Was way WAY off on Mosley, that deal was bonkers and I wouldn't have done it.

Tashaun Gipson just signed with Houston for about 3/$22M. In other words, something like $7M less per year than Collins got. When you add in the fact that Gipson wouldn't have counted in the comp pick formula, I think I'd probably argue that my proposed course of action was the better one. But you're most likely getting much more certainty in the performance of Collins, and a higher ceiling for sure.

31 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Was way WAY off on Mosley, that deal was bonkers and I wouldn't have done it.

Tashaun Gipson just signed with Houston for about 3/$22M. In other words, something like $7M less per year than Collins got. When you add in the fact that Gipson wouldn't have counted in the comp pick formula, I think I'd probably argue that my proposed course of action was the better one. But you're most likely getting much more certainty in the performance of Collins, and a higher ceiling for sure.

While I like getting Gipson for cheaper, you're also getting a lesser player. I'd personally rather have the better player with a higher upside in Collins.

Archived