49ers sign Kwon Alexander LB

49erurtaza

I’m sad to see Alexander go, but if bringing him back meant giving him this much money, we made the right decision.

On his day, he’ll be one of the best players on the field, but he’s incredibly inconsistent and will drive you crazy by making the routine look impossible. 

At least he might be able to afford to buy a house in San Fran now.

2 hours ago, indifference said:

Absolutely awful MLB in coverage. His poor awareness in his drops in zone coverage. Takes a lot of bad angles but his speed is elite so he can still make the play. Not a very good open field tackler but he will lay the big hit if kept clean. 

Creates FF really well though and when he is on his game he is really good. Just terribly inconsistent and his coverage skills suck. Middle of the field just became a weakness on pass downs.

He should help against the run. I’ll give him that.

uhhhhh this sounds like a nightmare.

We run a zone defense and none of our guys can ever figure out how to run it properly. Last thing we need is another guy in the middle of our defense that has no idea how to run zone. 

I always say this when baseball teams overpay a free agent, maybe the front office thinks they can tweak something in his game that would allow him to be a better player. An example in baseball would be slightly changing someone's batting stance, or getting him to throw from a slightly different arm slot, or changing the grip on a pitch, or even just the % they throw certain pitches etc. simple small stuff that can make someone a better player. It doesn't usually work in football like that, but maybe they think they can change 

We overpay everyone. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Because that's what this front office does. McKinnon? Malcolm Smith. Juice. I could go on. Jonathan Cooper made 4 million to not make the roster last season. 

We are that couple that sees the 250k house that we have to have, but instead of offering 260k to make sure we get it, we offer 1.3 million. 

It's so nice that the 49ers factor in the housing market with these deals.

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

every single year this happens , fas get signed to big, imaginary contracts with money theyll never see and people freak out. Until you look at how its structured this doesnt matter, when will people learn this?

it's 2/27 basically. Obviously not crippling long term, but 13.5 AAV, whether it's 2 or 4 years for him, is pretty absurd. 

Just now, Forge said:

it's 2/27 basically. Obviously not crippling long term, but 13.5 AAV, whether it's 2 or 4 years for him, is pretty absurd. 

i dont know man, the cap continues to rise and money has to be spent. hes very likely to both be a starter and an improvement on what you had. We'll have to see what the alternatives were getting paid to see how bad this was.

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i dont know man, the cap continues to rise and money has to be spent. hes very likely to both be a starter and an improvement on what you had. We'll have to see what the alternatives were getting paid to see how bad this was.

Oh he is definitely an improvement on what we had... 

Elijah Lee and Malcolm Smith? Yep, an improvement.

He's great around the LOS. He can blow up gaps and he gets through traffic pretty well. But he's not consistent when RBs get to the second level. He misses a TON of tackles.

I think he'll look better in coverage not being stuck one on one against McCaffrey and Kamara four times a year, playing against Pro Bowl/HoF QBs. But the questions about his ability to cover are warranted.

Archived