49ers sign Kwon Alexander LB

49erurtaza

I will say, though, if you look at the efficiency v turnover creation demarcation, Kwon does at least create some turnovers as compensation. Hurling yourself like a missile at the football does that. Undercutting routes does that. It also causes a lot of missed tackles (and possibly gives up a couple of easier completions + clean seperations). I'd like to see the data on what those turnover causing plays are worth and how many of those offset the regular losses in coverage. Probably not enough, but it may be that PFF tends to lean a little too heavily towards per-play efficiency (see Marcus Peters grades from 2017). I love that they watch every play and give you categorization on all of them (imagine not knowing the number of pressures a guy has or other useful metrics). However, even properly collected data requires time to clean up and understand properly and their confidence on their data translating for guys like linebackers isn't as good as it is for pass rushers. They used to rate the run more close to even with the pass. Baseball took a long time to get closer to accurate defensive metrics, as an analogue. But pitcher wins have thankfully been understood to be a statistic that relies heavily on team success and luck and things like sacks are being seen as likewise. For this, PFF deserves credit also.  

6 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Can he really be worse than Malcolm Smith?! 

I guess that is possible.

Sigh.

No, he's not a  bad player. That's really not the issue. He's just not a 7% of the cap, 13.5M aav player lol

Giving a lackluster off the ball linebacker that much money...is nutty. The financial decisions this front office continues to make with free agents are baffling. Using the franchise tag on Gould, Juice getting paid like a top ten running back, Malcolm Smith getting a fat check, McKinnon getting a fat check, etc. The 49ers are shelling out money for players at positions that aren't that highly valuable for building a playoff roster, or they are overpaying average players. I think Marsh is within our top ten guys on the team in terms of how much money he'll be making. It's sad. Hard to keep having anymore faith in this front office. 

11 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Looking for any positivity at this point. 

Yeah, I forgot to mention this earlier. I listen to Sikkema (tampa beat writer) on Locked on NFL draft. Tampa has had a god awful line for years now according to him, definitely factors into his play. 

Just now, John232 said:

Yeah, I forgot to mention this earlier. I listen to Sikkema (tampa beat writer) on Locked on NFL draft. Tampa has had a god awful line for years now, definitely factors into his play. 

That guy is funny

Archived