Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

showtime

I've played for like 5 hours and still don't understand the combat system. I have no idea when I need to dodge, when I need to block, when I need to parry (outside of the basic enemies). The instruction mentioning posture and vitality make no sense to me. I somehow managed to beat several bosses, I have no idea how. Also some serious issues with hitboxes. I'm getting hit when I'm completely on the side of the enemy after dodging.

On 3/22/2019 at 8:48 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Waiting for some feedback from some of you.   This game has piqued my interest.  

If you want some feedback, watch this super short video one of the best content creators of all-time made.  Lol

• Like 1

Played a ton over the weekend. Gotta say I basically had to relearn everything from all the DS games. Combat is a lot more dynamic and there's more different ways enemies should be approached. Some fights if you can't parry you are in for a lot of trouble. Some bosses can be beaten really fast if you figure out the proper strat, even though they seem overwhelming initially and take 40 deaths to figure out lol.

The game is a lot more forgiving than DS/BB between bosses. You don't die if you fall off cliffs, just lose half health and respawn. You are protected from falling off some ledges but not all, which drives me mad during combat as I walk back and expect to drop but don't. This was a bad move IMO but I can see why they did it because the grappling arm add some platform-ish elements that would mean people dying like 10x by falling. Also gives a lot more opportunities for stealth kills, but doesn't over do it.

Combat is very rewarding if you're willing to get baptized by hours of face rape. Different parry variations, the sword clangs and sparks when you successfully deflect, the stealth factor sprinkled in here and there that doesn't feel too easy or boring (most modern games get this very wrong IMO), all the tools you pick up, the game really make you feel like a lethal shinobi. My only core complaint other than the minor stuff I mentioned, is in BB there were such great variations in weapons that you could develop different play styles. Here you can't do that and all the tools you are given don't really help effect how you play (so far for me at least). I wish it was a bit more like Nioh, no need for 50 weapons, but like maybe 5 with different animations to let you play more passive or aggressive or somewhere in between or whatever. Though to be fair, I love how this game rewards you for going after bosses in high risk, high reward situations instead of picking shots and taking your time to chip away at the boss. That's how I loved to play BB, and a lot of DS I feel like was a bit too slow.

Edited by Mossburg

Picked this up Saturday, its funny seeing most former souls game players getting destroyed. The approach to combat is almost the complete opposite of that of Dark Souls. Instead of waiting back, being cautious, and then sweeping in for a quick blow or two, Sekiro rewards you for being aggressive and getting in the enemies face, attacking relentlessly and deflecting their attacks. It's been frustrating but fun and rewarding, and I love the addition of vertical movement in the game. I'll be honest though, the first General may have killed me 40 times before I got lucky and beat him. I found him much harder than I did the chained up ogre :D It was likely due to me still wrapping my head around this games playstyle and the fact that I am still pretty horrible at deflecting.

23 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

Picked this up Saturday, its funny seeing most former souls game players getting destroyed. The approach to combat is almost the complete opposite of that of Dark Souls. Instead of waiting back, being cautious, and then sweeping in for a quick blow or two, Sekiro rewards you for being aggressive and getting in the enemies face, attacking relentlessly and deflecting their attacks. It's been frustrating but fun and rewarding, and I love the addition of vertical movement in the game. I'll be honest though, the first General may have killed me 40 times before I got lucky and beat him. I found him much harder than I did the chained up ogre :D It was likely due to me still wrapping my head around this games playstyle and the fact that I am still pretty horrible at deflecting.

There are enemies that you have to play differently. Some are not worth deflecting and you're better off dodging as they attack like you would in Bloodborne. The combat is super diverse, I love it.

I cheesed a miniboss today by backstabbing him and then making him follow me into the poison swamp and staying out of his sightline while he just got poisoned repeatedly. The AI in this game can be exploited quite easily. That's probably its one real weakness, but it's been the case with every FromSoft title.

9 hours ago, Starless said:

I cheesed a miniboss today by backstabbing him and then making him follow me into the poison swamp and staying out of his sightline while he just got poisoned repeatedly. The AI in this game can be exploited quite easily. That's probably its one real weakness, but it's been the case with every FromSoft title.

Yeah luring enemies until poison has been a viable strategy in several of their games.

On 3/31/2019 at 3:58 AM, showtime said:

That Guardian Ape.  Whew boy.  I don't even know how long it took me to beat that.  I lost track of the time.  I had to take several breaks, though lol

That boss was annoying. His hitbox seemed broken, reminded me of Ludwig in BB.

48 minutes ago, Starless said:

Had to step away from the game for a few days because Great Shinobi *** was giving me conniptions. Came back and beat him today in about 15 tries. Looked at the DeModCracy rankings to see if he was the hardest boss and LMAO NOPE.

I never put any stock into rankings like that... How hard a boss is isn't the same for everyone, I remember father G in bloodborne consistently being rated as one of the hardest bosses in the game and personally I've never died to him. In every playthrough I've done including my first I always first try him.

51 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I never put any stock into rankings like that... How hard a boss is isn't the same for everyone, I remember father G in bloodborne consistently being rated as one of the hardest bosses in the game and personally I've never died to him. In every playthrough I've done including my first I always first try him.

I would say that with a handful of exceptions wherein one specific skill within the game can make an otherwise difficult boss easy (i.e. can you parry Gwyn and Sulyvahn?) the rankings are generally pretty reliable in broad strokes. I'd argue that Laurence is more difficult than the Orphan of Kos, for instance, but that's more a function of play style and the gap isn't that big.

But in Sekiro everyone is generally funneled into the same play style, at least when it comes to boss fights, and therefore you need more or less the same set of skills honed to defeat bosses.

*MINOR SPOILERS KINDA

Spent over two hours on the last boss (depending on your choice) til I caved and watched a mikiri counter tutorial. Then beat him the first try after that.  Had the timing wrong throughout my entire play through.

Also I somehow missed the axe and didn’t have that or the axe pre-requisite prosthetics for my play through. I don’t think that necessarily made it more difficult, but I feel stupid.

Absolutely loved the game.  Probably my favorite game since BB