Landon Collins to Washington

MikeT14

44 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Guy just made 84 million, the right thing would be do something nice for the kid, send him on a trip perhaps

Yes. It doesn't matter what the price is, but it's Carter's number unless he gives it up or is cut (and if he is cut late, then Collins would have to wait a year).

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I highly doubt they’re going to want a high profile guy like Collins to change his number after cuts are made.  They’re going to want to start selling his jerseys right away.

Yes, but if Carter were to get cut up to or immediately after the draft (as part of the minicamps), the number might be available.

The easier solution would be for Collins to throw some coin Carter's way.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Yes, but if Carter were to get cut up to or immediately after the draft (as part of the minicamps), the number might be available.

With $84 mil headed his way he can share the love to a guy who’s not long for the roster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Sure, if he wants 36. He may not.

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Sure, if he wants 36. He may not.

"21 is off the table, for obvious reasons. While we don't retire numbers anymore(*), 21 is not going to be given out. However, if you are willing to throw some money Alex's way, he can sell you 36 which is what ST wore his rookie season."

(*) Only official retired number for Washington is 33 for Sammy Baugh. However, 21, 28, 44, and 81 are reserved (in everyone but 21, a player may ask Green, Riggins, or Monk if they may wear it; I don't know if Taylor's estate would answer that request or not).

39 minutes ago, Woz said:

"21 is off the table, for obvious reasons. While we don't retire numbers anymore(*), 21 is not going to be given out. However, if you are willing to throw some money Alex's way, he can sell you 36 which is what ST wore his rookie season."

(*) Only official retired number for Washington is 33 for Sammy Baugh. However, 21, 28, 44, and 81 are reserved (in everyone but 21, a player may ask Green, Riggins, or Monk if they may wear it; I don't know if Taylor's estate would answer that request or not).

And... you think I don’t know that? I’ve known that for at least a decade and even if I didn’t, it’s talked about on the radio constantly, in articles and in threads like these. 

Im just saying, Collins may not want to wear a number in the 30s. Unlike Swearinger, Collins has never worn 36 or a number in the 30s. Like Haha, he’s always worn 21. So, Collins may choose to wear 20 instead of 36.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Give some money to the scholarship fund for his daughter, then they might honor the request.  

On 3/12/2019 at 3:09 PM, Woz said:

Today is more:

Preeety+sure+that+was+the+joke+here+is+a

Still not totally thrilled with going all in on an in-the-box safety as "the one big spend" target, but it's not the full on rage that was yesterday.

With the history of how box safeties age- I'm looking at the big money we gave Adam Archuleta and Kam Chancellor- it's not a smart decision.  Schaeffer may have pulled off his best contract yet, but all of the odds are against Collins paying dividends on that contract.  

Also of note, Honey Badger is being paid less over the duration of his contract with the Chiefs than we are paying Collins in guaranteed money.  He's getting paid $12.5 million more guaranteed than Earl Thomas.  Both are centerfield safeties, and that has more value than a box safety.  We gave away the house for the wrong guy.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Give some money to the scholarship fund for his daughter, then they might honor the request.  

Perhaps that would work. Like I said, Washington honors the requests of the players (or in ST's case, that of his estate).

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

With the history of how box safeties age- I'm looking at the big money we gave Adam Archuleta and Kam Chancellor- it's not a smart decision.  Schaeffer may have pulled off his best contract yet, but all of the odds are against Collins paying dividends on that contract.  

Also of note, Honey Badger is being paid less over the duration of his contract with the Chiefs than we are paying Collins in guaranteed money.  He's getting paid $12.5 million more guaranteed than Earl Thomas.  Both are centerfield safeties, and that has more value than a box safety.  We gave away the house for the wrong guy.  

You can’t compare Archuleta and Collins. So, that’s that. 

Chancellor had a freak neck injury and that’s the only reason he’s not playing in the league right now.

Chancellor was also older when he got his big money from the Seahawks than Collins is now.

Collins is younger than Mathieu (27 in May) who’s only 5’9, 190 and has had multiple major injuries and Earl Thomas who is also coming off three seasons where he battled injuries, previously dislocating his shoulder and needing surgery and also including breaking his leg twice in the last three years.

Seems to me, Matthieu is older, has torn his ACL & Thomas who is going to be 30 on top of their injury concerns would be more of a concern than Collins’s shoulder injury last year or that he may get injuried.