Landon Collins to Washington

MikeT14

In Chicago thread we have been talking about Amos forever and (hopefully) not over paying him.

Collins is a fine football player, but box safeties are not a rare skill set.

Like running backs now who aren't also hybrid receivers.  They can be very good players, but they are much more easily replaced than other positions because of supply and demand.

QBs, Edge Rushers, Corners, ball hawking safeties are ones who are hard to find.

11 minutes ago, Woz said:

Because the price to keep them >> the value they offer to the team.

If you have a good-but-not-great edge rusher that you will have to sign for $12M AAV, or you can let someone else do that and give you a draft pick so you can go get the same guy on a rookie deal and four years younger, why wouldn't you do this?

This is how New England and Baltimore have been good for so long: they evaluate their players and decide if they're worth keeping or not.

New England has been good because of Tom Brady. It’s easy to let everyone walk when you have the greatest player ever at the most important position on the field. 

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Same. For me it's just the $$ that is killing me right now. He better be worth every penny.

The part that really gets me is the $45M guaranteed. 

The team that’s currently stuck holding a $70M bag because its giant QB contract went belly up due to injury is now right back in there giving another monster guarantee? 

He’s effectively uncuttable until AT LEAST year 5 of this deal. And even then it’s a huge pill to swallow. At least with Smith, maybe you take the gamble because he’s a QB and the reward is so huge for great QB play (and they rarely get seriously hurt anymore). But with a strong safety? Yikes...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

In Chicago thread we have been talking about Amos forever and (hopefully) not over paying him.

Collins is a fine football player, but box safeties are not a rare skill set.

Like running backs now who aren't also hybrid receivers.  They can be very good players, but they are much more easily replaced than other positions because of supply and demand.

QBs, Edge Rushers, Corners, ball hawking safeties are ones who are hard to find.

Maybe it’s easier for other teams but we haven’t been able to replace a safety that died 12 years ago. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

New England has been good because of Tom Brady. It’s easy to let everyone walk when you have the greatest player ever at the most important position on the field. 

Yes, but by re-stocking your draft classes with extra picks, you gain the ability to pay a future Hall of Famer whatever he wants without destroying your salary cap.

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

He’s effectively uncuttable until AT LEAST year 5 of this deal. And even then it’s a huge pill to swallow. At least with Smith, maybe you take the gamble because he’s a QB and the reward is so huge for great QB play (and they rarely get seriously hurt anymore). But with a strong safety? Yikes...

Maybe year 3, given the rumors that it is front loaded, but still ... why? Especially when you have someone like Scherff you want to conceivably keep.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Maybe year 3, given the rumors that it is front loaded, but still ... why? Especially when you have someone like Scherff you want to conceivably keep.

I'm gonna have "fun" playing with the #'s on sportrac after this FA period is over in seeing how I can keep Scherff on the roster. My guess is that we'll have to cut/trade quite a few players now.