Landon Collins to Washington

MikeT14

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If we’re holding cap space for when we’re relevant again we won’t ever be spending it lol

Except we've spent it on a crappy QB and now an in-the-box safety. So ... yay they're spending the cap space stupidly?

• Like 1

We just paid Landon Collins the highest paid safety in the NFL, paying him an average of $14 million per season.  This also includes making him the fifth highest paid defensive back in the NFL.  The deal includes $35 million guaranteed.   All for an in the box safety

Meanwhile, we cut a quality in the box safety who also brought decent coverage skills, for criticizing a defensive coordinator who shouldn't have that job, who was being paid $4.5 million.  

I tell you what, the only winner in this scenario is Earl Thomas, who is going to get PAID after Collins got his.  

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Whew. I'm so glad we kept him on to right the ship. He's like a beacon of hope and stability in the seas of mediocrity. We're destined for a Lombardi for sure.

S/O to @Jeezy Fanatic (hope I'm doing it right)

I like to be just subtle enough that there’s a shadow of doubt that maybe this is the time I truly do like a move. On that note, this wasn’t my best effort.

• Like 1

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Do we know what Keenums cap hit is yet?

From what I'm seeing on OTC and Spotrac, $3.5M. It looks like the renegotiation wiped away all of the non-guaranteed salary for $500K (he wasn't going to get it anyway, and by agreeing, he got to dictate where he went).

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Maybe year 3, given the rumors that it is front loaded, but still ... why? Especially when you have someone like Scherff you want to conceivably keep.

Extending Scherff will actually save them money this year,  but I agree that eventually it will be another big number on the books along with Collins.

Front-loading the deal is interesting. Here I was thinking they’d want to keep money off the cap in the next year or two in order to give themselves the opportunity to get out of the Smith contract if/when he’s cleared physically — and instead they’re stuffing Collins’s big money into that window. Interesting. 

Vaccaro got an average of 11.5 and he’s not on the same planet as collins

just saw mathieu got an average of 14 mill over 3 years, he didn’t have a great season last year or at least what he normally has

what people forget is the market is only going to get more expensive as the years go on, as the salary cap goes up so does the price for players

i get he’s more of an in the box safety but don’t forget, Collins is 25 years old, his last year of the contract he will be 31. It’s not like we are paying an old man!

also the first 3 years are guaranteed not the whole 6.

we don’t have a lot of cap but you got to pay to play. Makes you wonder if the smith insurance money comes into ply this year