Trey Flowers to sign with Lions

bigbadbuff23835

2 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

But the argument to be made that he was worth keeping at ~$16M AAV. Elite pass rushers get paid that. The Patriots also just traded for Bennett, who right now, is still a better player than Flowers and cost ~$10M less...

That's definitely debatable... Two completely different kinds of players. Bennett is better as a pass rusher (yet still not "elite" in that regard) and Flowers is better against the run and is easily the more versatile of the two. And in all honesty considering some of the numbers we're seeing thus far in FA signing (I mean c'mon Funchess just got 13 million for one year)... It's really not as bad as you're making it out to be financially.

1 minute ago, Nex_Gen said:

But the argument to be made that he was worth keeping at ~$16M AAV. Elite pass rushers get paid that. The Patriots also just traded for Bennett, who right now, is still a better player than Flowers and cost ~$10M less...

He doesn't need to be an 'elite' pass rusher in Belichick's defense. He was a guy that did everything really well and that's exceedingly rare in today's NFL. That's where the disconnect is. You can replace his ability with a guy like Michael Bennett for a year or two (remember: Bennett will be 33 during the coming season) but finding someone else like that in the draft will be really difficult.

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

be aware of the people saying 'but he gets pressures and nobody cares about sacks'

Ya we had one of those.  Preston Smith.  Dude would disappear for weeks at a time and end up with like 6 sacks.  But PFF would have him rated highly and said he had all these “pressures”.  I watched every game, dude made little impact (Smith).

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Ya we had one of those.  Preston Smith.  Dude would disappear for weeks at a time and end up with like 6 sacks.  But PFF would have him rated highly and said he had all these “pressures”.  I watched every game, dude made little impact (Smith).

Well, I can assure you that wasn't the case with Flowers. He's also excellent against the run. 

3 hours ago, Starless said:

Cap space is never the issue for this team. They can always re-work contracts and cut guys to create more. The problem was that they didn't want to give Flowers what the Lions gave him, which I think is a mistake.

Cap space is not an issue? What the pats get more than other teams?  You got McCourty, Hightower and Gronk  all on the wrong side of 30, are you going to give them phony years and get stuck paying in the future for signing flowers?  After Bennett they got about 20 mill to sign both Gostkowski and Ryan Allen, the only wr signed is Edelman and he is in his last year, they don't have a BU TE and the two of the 4 DTs that rotated in the playoffs are Free agents and we need 4 mill for draft picks and the practice squad.  Is he going to be missed you bet both he and Brown leave huge holes. But that is how the NFL wants it. 

1 minute ago, patman said:

Cap space is not an issue? What the pats get more than other teams?  You got McCourty, Hightower and Gronk  all on the wrong side of 30, are you going to give them phony years and get stuck paying in the future for signing flowers?  After Bennett they got about 20 mill to sign both Gostkowski and Ryan Allen, the only wr signed is Edelman and he is in his last year, they don't have a BU TE and the two of the 4 DTs that rotated in the playoffs are Free agents and we need 4 mill for draft picks and the practice squad.  Is he going to be missed you bet both he and Brown leave huge holes. But that is how the NFL wants it. 

What's stopping them from cutting one or more of those players? If they wanted to keep Flowers they would find a way to make it work. They didn't think he was a $16m/year guy. I think that's a mistake but we'll see.

3 hours ago, Starless said:

Cap space is never the issue for this team. They can always re-work contracts and cut guys to create more. The problem was that they didn't want to give Flowers what the Lions gave him, which I think is a mistake.

Because if you cut two of them to get to 14 mill you have no Hightower and No Mccourty.  And do you see what Free safeties and LB are getting this season?  

Just now, patman said:

Because if you cut two of them to get to 14 mill you have no Hightower and No Mccourty.  And do you see what Free safeties and LB are getting this season?  

Cutting Gronk is an option. Cutting McCourty would leave Harmon as the starter at FS, which I'd be fine with. Cutting Hightower would be a non-starter but there would certainly be ways to lessen his cap hit.

4 minutes ago, patman said:

so then we have no TEs in an offense that TE is a big part of.  Look, if he could have been kept he would have, but at 16 mill it would have required guting the team.  

The Pats have completely turned over the TE depth chart before. I don't see why they couldn't do it again. Gronk might be retiring anyway so it has to be a possibility they're preparing for.

And at any rate, I'd much rather cut a banged-up 30-year-old TE who probably has no more than a year left or a 32-year-old safety for whom there's a perfectly good replacement already on the roster than let go of a 25-year-old who's been the team's best defensive player for the last two years.

Flowers provides so much more than sacks. He’s versatile, good against the run, can generate pressure inside or out.

If you play in the free agent market you will overpay. It’s the reality of bidding for top talent. 

Ansah played on the tag last year and was a big disappointment. For virtually the same money they get a top notch dlineman that so far has been healthy, grades out well anywhere on the line, he’s young and the contract is 5 years. 

Flowers is going to a team where he’s very familiar with the coach, the system etc.  Free agency is a gamble but this move is as safe as you get in free agency.

7 hours ago, Starless said:

I HAAAAAAATE that the Pats let him walk and I think they'll regret it 2 years from now when Michael Bennett is washed up.

He's been their best defensive player for the last 2½ seasons and has a skill set that very few guys in the NFL possess. He's capable of generating pressure from every spot on the DL and is outstanding against the run.

I’m sad for Pats fans because losing a player like Flowers stings. But, I’m happy as can be for the Lions. I love this signing.

Theres not many players that have the diversity of skills that Flowers has. He’s going to a scheme he knows, playing with a coach he knows and lining up with some talented linemen. 

Archived